House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
njwd

Who's Responsibility

I am a tenant.

I was burgled about three weeks ago. The burglars forced the frame of a window in such a fashion that the window could not be re-closed. The actual glass was not damaged. The window was slightly open at the time, however I was in the property when this happened.

I contacted my landlord who came round whilst the police were here and asked me to get my Contents Insurance company to sort it out.

In good faith I contacted my insurance who sent someone round to secure the window. They drilled some wood on the inside of the window frame and screwed the hinged window into the frame from the outside. This caused damage to the glass.

Since then I have been in contact with my insurance company who state that it is my landlord who is responsible for the permanent repair through his buildings insurance.

My contents insurance excludes the permanent repair of the window, only emergency security, so from there point of view it's not their problem.

My tenancy agreement states that any window breakage is the responsibility of the landlord unless myself or visitors caused the breakage.

My landlord thinks my insurance company is trying to weedle out of this. He wants me to obtain 3 quotes for fixing the window.

To extrapolate problems I move out of the property in 1 week. I expect him to be as awkward as possible with my deposit.

Does anyone have any links or info for problems of this nature. I assume it is quite a regular occurrence.

Many thanks.

Edited by njwd

I am a tenant.

I was burgled about three weeks ago. The burglars forced the frame of a window in such a fashion that the window could not be re-closed. The actual glass was not damaged. The window was slightly open at the time, however I was in the property when this happened.

I contacted my landlord who came round whilst the police were here and asked me to get my Contents Insurance company to sort it out.

In good faith I contacted my insurance who sent someone round to secure the window. They drilled some wood on the inside of the window frame and screwed the hinged window into the frame from the outside. This caused damage to the glass.

Since then I have been in contact with my insurance company who state that it is my landlord who is responsible for the permanent repair through his buildings insurance.

My contents insurance excludes the permanent repair of the window, only emergency security, so from there point of view it's not their problem.

My tenancy agreement states that any window breakage is the responsibility of the landlord unless myself or visitors caused the breakage.

My landlord thinks my insurance company is trying to weedle out of this. He wants me to obtain 3 quotes for fixing the window.

To extrapolate problems I move out of the property in 1 week. I expect him to be as awkward as possible with my deposit.

Does anyone have any links or info for problems of this nature. I assume it is quite a regular occurrence.

Many thanks.

http://www.tds.gb.com/TDS%20Case%20Studies.pdf

The ARLA adjudications set some precedence to present via ARLA or small claims as appropriate - basically you not responsible for upkeep of window frames, you didn't break, you shouldn't pay... one of the case studies regards burglarly damage.

HTH

B.

http://www.tds.gb.com/TDS%20Case%20Studies.pdf

The ARLA adjudications set some precedence to present via ARLA or small claims as appropriate - basically you not responsible for upkeep of window frames, you didn't break, you shouldn't pay... one of the case studies regards burglarly damage.

HTH

B.

Cheers,

Landlord has accepted responsibility after quoting all manner of stuff at him.