House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
north/south divide

Spanish Property And Cost Of Living Question

Hi Guys

I've been a member of HPC since November 2003 when it was the old style board and have been following this board with great interest.

Anyway, I wondered if there was anybody out there who knew much about Spain's property prices and general cost of living, particularly surrounding Barcelona. The reason I ask is that news at work is that our team is being moved to Barcelona, starting October 2006 and we've all been given the option to relocate with our jobs. Its either that, redeployment or redundancy.

Now I am really fed up with the UK. I can't get on the property ladder since divorcing my ex-husband and can see my renting for the rest of my life at this rate. I'm not 100% sure that a move to Barcelona is the golden opportunity I have been waiting for, but due to be so demoralised by the UK I want to try to give myself a kick up the backside and change my life and looking at perhaps this is the opportunity I need to do so. I need to weigh up the pro's and cons of it all.

What would you do? Obviously I have to wait and see what the relocation package is going to be before making any firm committments, but I do have a 15 month old daughter to consider to.

Thanks for any info.

Don`t know about Barcelona but I have friends living inland near Valencia.My thoughts are that property is hugely overpriced and is likely as not to crash pretty soon.As far as the cost of living is concerned,they live on about£120 a week.Bear in mind they like a meal out and they both smoke and drink!

Their council tax is ,I think,around 250 euro a year on a three bed villa.Alao my experience of public transport there is good and not expensive.I would imagine that the cost of living in Barcelona is going to have something of a premium.Per haps you may find this link useful

http://spain.othercountries.com/forums/forums.asp

Expect to pay about €1000 for an okay 2 bedder flat in a safe area.

Have you been to Barcelona before? Even a weekend will give you a vague idea if you will like it.

btp

Barcelona is a great city, but very expensive. But then again it is a capital city. A weekend will give you a basic idea of the city's tourist highlights, but that's very different to living in or around Barcelona.

Property prices are among the highest in Spain, thanks largely to the number of multi-nationals that are based in and around Barcelona and because Catalonia is Spain's wealthiest region.

Be prepared to learn Catalan - it is the first language there. Castillian (Spanish) is a poor second.

For families you cannot beat Spain and if you settle you will give your daughter the gift of two new languages. And with English and Spanish the world will be her oyster.

One thing worth considering - everyone knows Spain is heading for a fall. Will your job be safe here if the economy goes pear-shaped?

Hi Guys

I've been a member of HPC since November 2003 when it was the old style board and have been following this board with great interest.

Anyway, I wondered if there was anybody out there who knew much about Spain's property prices and general cost of living, particularly surrounding Barcelona. The reason I ask is that news at work is that our team is being moved to Barcelona, starting October 2006 and we've all been given the option to relocate with our jobs. Its either that, redeployment or redundancy.

Now I am really fed up with the UK. I can't get on the property ladder since divorcing my ex-husband and can see my renting for the rest of my life at this rate. I'm not 100% sure that a move to Barcelona is the golden opportunity I have been waiting for, but due to be so demoralised by the UK I want to try to give myself a kick up the backside and change my life and looking at perhaps this is the opportunity I need to do so. I need to weigh up the pro's and cons of it all.

What would you do? Obviously I have to wait and see what the relocation package is going to be before making any firm committments, but I do have a 15 month old daughter to consider to.

Thanks for any info.

If its a safe stable job and you will get paid the same as the UK jump at the chance...........................