House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1st time renter

Legal Advise Please

Would be extreamly grateful for any advise:

We took out a 6 month AST on Jan 20th, paying 6 months money at the start of the tenancy (so theoretically our agreement ends on 19th July).

I have just been in to tell our letting agent that we would like to give 4 weeks notice only to be told that we are only allowed to give notice on or before the 19th of the month, and as I'm 3 days late I would have to give notice on the 19th of July (and move out by 19th August).

Please would you let me know if this is correct?

PS I've been on the Shelter website and they say:

"If your agreement is for a fixed term (eg. six months), you can leave on the last day of the fixed term without giving notice. But you must ensure that you do not stay even one day over, or you will automatically become a periodic tenant and will have to give proper notice or come to an agreement with your landlord".

So I'm totally confused now....Help

I'm sure others on here would agree. You can walk away from an AST on the last day of the contract without giving any notice, assuming you haven't already told you landlord you will be staying on with a periodic tennancy.