House Price Crash Forum
Killer Bunny

Extreme Debt Worsening

But, hey. The oiks at Dixons (sorry Currys.digital for you young whippersnappers) sold oodles of plasmas and got to keep their jobs flogging crap insurance for another 6 months.

One of the common themes I see at the moneysavingexpert.co.uk debt advice forums is when people post their outgoings, VERY often items listed include HP for new TV, a £35 pm Sky package, TV licence etc.

eg: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=205931

I always think, if you're so in debt just get rid of your TV!!!! FFS you will save loads of money per month but not just that you will no longer be wasting hours of your day watching the thing, and you can concentrate on paying off your debt.

It annoys me I suppose because I don't have a TV (except for occasionally sport when I borrow my neighbour's little portable set) and it is amazing how much free time I have now, which I spend DOING STUFF to better my existence.

tc

I went to Curry's recently to look at the new Samsung 32" HDTV that is a CRT. The salesman, who seemed pretty knowledgeable, agreed that the LCDs are crap and that the picture does not even come close to a mediocre CRT. The Samsung CRT-HDTV had sold out (450 pounds) and they had even sold the demo off the shelf!

What does this show? How brainwashed so many have become as to what represents good value. The whole LCD thing is a massive consumer scam just like HPI and the pyramid scheme it will once again prove itself to be. Get in and out early enough and you win. Get in late and try to get out late and you lose. What a horrible joke the Miracle Economy has been.

Edited by Realistbear

One of the common themes I see at the moneysavingexpert.co.uk debt advice forums is when people post their outgoings, VERY often items listed include HP for new TV, a £35 pm Sky package, TV licence etc.

eg: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=205931

I always think, if you're so in debt just get rid of your TV!!!! FFS you will save loads of money per month but not just that you will no longer be wasting hours of your day watching the thing, and you can concentrate on paying off your debt.

It annoys me I suppose because I don't have a TV (except for occasionally sport when I borrow my neighbour's little portable set) and it is amazing how much free time I have now, which I spend DOING STUFF to better my existence.

tc

Far be it from me to defend to defend the profligate morons up to their eyes in debt, but a TV really is necessity, like a car. Imagine having a kid and not having a telly - poor kid. What about the World Cup?

I've got a feeling that those in debt over 100k are not the council estate folks on HP (their debt is probably around the 10k level) but the aspirant working classes who have bought the Beemer, go on exotoc holidays and go out 3 times a week to expensive restaurants.

I went to Curry's recently to look at the new Samsung 32" HDTV that is a CRT. The salesman, who seemed pretty knowledgeable, agreed that the LCDs are crap and that the picture does not even come close to a mediocre CRT. The Samsung CRT-HDTV had sold out (450 pounds) and they had even sold the demo off the shelf!

What does this show? How brainwashed so many have become as to what represents good value. The whole LCD thing is a massive consumer scam just like HPI and the pyramid scheme it will once again prove itself to be. Get in and out early enough and you win. Get in late and try to get out late and you lose. What a horrible joke the Miracle Economy has been.

Maybe we should change our campaign - "get rid of the bl**dy awful LCD tv's" - has anyone else noticed that is just about all you can by now? - the CRT's are just about gone - how stupid are folks? - when my current TV dies (had it about 10 years) how am I going to replace it with anything decent

Did anyone see the report last night on the BBC news about the pensioner showing how much she has to spend. She mentined at one point about £25 going for direct debits but didnt specify for what. Later on we saw her doing her knitting in front of a huge widescreen TV - that must have set her back a bit.

Far be it from me to defend to defend the profligate morons up to their eyes in debt, but a TV really is necessity, like a car. Imagine having a kid and not having a telly - poor kid. What about the World Cup?

I have a kid and no telly. He watches dvds and stuff on my PC. He also surfs the c-beebies, mr-men, etc. I think maybe when he get's older he will just be able to download the tv shows he wants to see off the internet.

The world cup - well I like to watch at the pub, but like I said, I have borrowed my neighbours little spare tv to watch on. I will return it once we have won! B)

The most telling thing I'v seen on TV lately was a report on development in China ( BBC Newsnight ) they were ripping down a village and compulsary purchasing their farms in an isolated central region.

They interviewed one of the old farmers and asked him if he was upset at losing his farm to the developers, he replied that he was sorry to lose his way of life, but that the old must always be prepared to make sacrifices to help the next generation.

We seem to have completely turned that philosophy on its head! Over here it's about the young making the sacrifices (debt) to keep the elderly safe and wealthy.

Maybe we should change our campaign - "get rid of the bl**dy awful LCD tv's" - has anyone else noticed that is just about all you can by now? - the CRT's are just about gone - how stupid are folks? - when my current TV dies (had it about 10 years) how am I going to replace it with anything decent

Did anyone see the report last night on the BBC news about the pensioner showing how much she has to spend. She mentined at one point about £25 going for direct debits but didnt specify for what. Later on we saw her doing her knitting in front of a huge widescreen TV - that must have set her back a bit.

THe salesman at Curry's said Hitachi are coming out with a CRT HDTV soon also. Could see Sony and Panasonic jump in next if the others do well. I am not too excited about HDTV myself as Sky want 52 pounds a month for it plus the cost of the box. Right now, I am using my trusty old 1987 Sony with a Trinitron Tube and the picture is fabulous.

According to this VI paper there is no problem because house prices are going up! :lol::lol::lol:

http://business.scotsman.com/finance.cfm?id=914592006

Our responsibility to end debt panic

Kevin Jackson-Barnes

PERSONAL debt in the UK continues to rise and some quarters are starting to panic. However, is this rise really anything to worry about?
If you look at average house prices, incomes, council taxes and retail prices then they too are at record levels and continue to rise.
There are always two key parties in any lending situation, the lender and the borrower. As lenders we must be satisfied that the customer has the ability to repay the debt.

No wonder the UK is in a debt mess--the VIs are telling them: crisis, what crisis? Your house is going up so just borrow more to pay off what you owe.

just get rid of your TV!!!! FFS you will save loads of money per month but not just that you will no longer be wasting hours of your day watching the thing,

I disagree with this.

I 'accidentally' discover all sorts of enlightening things watching TV, especially BBC2, BBC4 etc. I dont see how watching Simon Sharmas 'A History Of Britain' or good D Attenborough doc is wasting time.

I aslo find programmes such as Newsnight far more insightful and revealing than a trawl through the press.

I find with non TV types they rely on Books which they have specifically chosen so they dont stumble upon a subject, and they stick to certain camps of authors so get a narrow view which fits thier own to a greater degree.

I disagree with this.

I 'accidentally' discover all sorts of enlightening things watching TV, especially BBC2, BBC4 etc. I dont see how watching Simon Sharmas 'A History Of Britain' or good D Attenborough doc is wasting time.

I aslo find programmes such as Newsnight far more insightful and revealing than a trawl through the press.

I find with non TV types they rely on Books which they have specifically chosen so they dont stumble upon a subject, and they stick to certain camps of authors so get a narrow view which fits thier own to a greater degree.

You obviously live in a household where you control the remote. Apart from Doctor Who, I rarely see anything worthwhile accidently as my missus executes a carefully orchestrated series of remote control manoevres designed to maximise advert avoidance and reality show coverage each night.

So I retire to the computer to watch Newsnight, read my favourite news sources (digg.com in particularly is a great source of serendipitus if slightly techie news) and download/watch DVDs of docos/good american TV.

We seem to have completely turned that philosophy on its head! Over here it's about the young making the sacrifices (debt) to keep the elderly safe and wealthy.

Keep the elderly safe and wealthy???

If you read the report it says: "But increases in the amount of money

owed were greatest among the over-60s.

The CCCS said the amount of money owed by people over 60 who

contacted the group had soared by 25% to an average of £33,658. :o

Also a report in the D Express today on a 59 year-old divorced

woman who cannot hope ever to retire cos she has helped her

2 adult kids to "get on the property ladder".

I suggest some of the Boomer Bashers on here take note ;)

We're all victims in this pyramid selling scam, no matter

what our age.

I disagree with this.

Yes but you aren't drowning in debt with creditors howling at the door are you? All I am saying is not don't have a TV but for christs sake if you are staring down the twin barrels of reposession and bankruptsy GET RID OF YOUR SKY BOX and stop paying that HP deal on your new TV.

I nearly went with the Plasma TV, but it's really not worth it UNLESS you take out insurance to protect against damaged pixels.

A few dead pixels in the screen make a difference to viewing quality. They last for a few years before they start to break down.

LCD's are crap - they look pixellated the nearer you are to them - a technology that has to mature before they're worth buying.

I bought a projector instead, cost me $1000. Sure, you have to buy a replacement bulb, but we only use it for movies. The pictures bigger and the sound comes through our surroound sound system.

The hardest set up is the screen, but that doesn't have to be a chore.

I nearly went with the Plasma TV, but it's really not worth it UNLESS you take out insurance to protect against damaged pixels.

A few dead pixels in the screen make a difference to viewing quality. They last for a few years before they start to break down.

LCD's are crap - they look pixellated the nearer you are to them - a technology that has to mature before they're worth buying.

I bought a projector instead, cost me $1000. Sure, you have to buy a replacement bulb, but we only use it for movies. The pictures bigger and the sound comes through our surroound sound system.

The hardest set up is the screen, but that doesn't have to be a chore.

"I bought a projector instead, cost me $1000"

Why bother? Why all the hassle....? Why not just watch a 'normal' TV?

I have to disagree regarding the picture quality of LCD tv's. I have got a portable Samsung 20" and a 32" Medion LCD tv's. Both offer execellent picture quality. Both (especially the Medion) are great for computing. Using my Medion I can watch the World Cup and email or post entrys on the forum at the same time. However, I do agree regarding the pricing of these things. Admittedly the Medion did cost £600 (which is not too bad). I could not justify spending upto £1000 for a 32" lcd. Plus some of the LCD's that could £800+ are HD compatible NOT HD Ready. So, some elements of this LCD craze is scam-like. Just buy wisely.

I was a 'debt collector' in the 70s, you could tell which house it was to be collected from as they had a UHF aerial instead of a VHF aerial. The debts were mainly HP agreements associated with videos, colour tellies & automatic washing machines.

I was also a 'debt collector' in the 80s/90s, you could tell which house it was to be collected from as they had a satellite dish outside. The debts were mainly HP agreements associated with TVs, camcorders & computer games.

I don't wish to debt collect anymore but I guess the debts are associated with computers, mobile phones, MP3 players etc.

Every time there is a new 'must have' fad, Joe Public jump on the 'keep up with the jones's' bandwagon instead of the 'keep up with the payments' vehicle.

Bill Gates is the devil, it's all his fault!

The 70s were saved to a certain extent by inflation wiping out a lot of the value of the overborrowing, the 80s not so lucky.

History will record the outcome of this latest debacle.

In a few years time we will be revisiting this theme again when the latest fad of inter galactic travel or time transporters or whatever are affordable.

The young will be complaing of house prices, the old complaining of having no money, England will still be banging on about the only world cup win in 1966, might even still be waiting for HPC.

It's too early in the morning for me, I've lost the point I was making, just rambling now.

The world cup - well I like to watch at the pub, but like I said, I have borrowed my neighbours little spare tv to watch on. I will return it once we have won! B)

...or the TV licence van shows up at the end of your street? :ph34r::D

...or the TV licence van shows up at the end of your street? :ph34r::D

I live in a block of flats, and i would hazard a guess that more than 50% of people don't have a licence. I would get one if I had a TV, but borrowing one for a few weeks a year for £150 or whatever it costs would be pretty dumb. Can you get them on a monthly basis?

I live in a block of flats, and i would hazard a guess that more than 50% of people don't have a licence. I would get one if I had a TV, but borrowing one for a few weeks a year for £150 or whatever it costs would be pretty dumb. Can you get them on a monthly basis?

Lol ... I was only joking! I've no idea if you can get them on a monthly basis, but I'd hazard a guess at not. Although I do have one (the missus would die without her daily fix of Hollyoaks!), I do think it's a complete rip-off ... you pay for a colour licence and then BBC2 show B&W films all day long!!!

I think you can either pay for a full year, then cancel it and get a rebate. Or pay monthly and cancel the payments when you don't want it any more I suppose.

I've also given up the TV. I only watched Hollyoaks and Little Britain, so with a license soon to be £180/year it seemed a bit steep. Radio 4 is awesome.

'I find with non TV types they rely on Books which they have specifically chosen so they dont stumble upon a subject, and they stick to certain camps of authors so get a narrow view which fits thier own to a greater degree.'

Other way round actualy, TV adict types watch soapies, un-reality shows, chat nonsense shows and game shows, these type of people are also the type to take on debt cause they watch and absorb the tacky adds re how trendy it is to borrow money for fun, you know like the friendly credit card adds etc etc,. ie the dumbed down population that all governments love.