House Price Crash Forum
wibble

Tenency Renewal Fee

Hi all,

We're about to rent a house, but we noticed something in the shorthold tenancy agreement:

On the renewal of this tenancy the tenent agrees to pay the agent a renewal fee of £60 plus VAT (£70.50). This is an administration fee for the preparation of the new tenancy agreement. Failure to pay this fee will result in this amount being deducted from your deposit.

Tenency agreements must be returned to the agent within 14 days of receipt. Failure to do so will result in an administration charge of £25 + VAT (£29.38). Again non-payment will result in this being deducted from your deposit.

Now. we had verbal agreement from the agent, and the landlord that this contract could lapse into a "statutory periodic assured shorthold tenancy" when this agreement expired (as all my previous tenancies have done)

But now, 2 days before we are due to move in, they tell us they will *not* remove these clauses from the agreement.

And that the new agreement will be for another term certain of 1 year :o

What can we do? Any advice please? I'm so angry with the Agent...

Just noticed a couple of things:

1. On renewal of this tenancy agreement.....

If we don't sign it, then surely it isn't renewed?

2. Tenency agreements must be returned to the agent within 14 days of receipt.

But it doesn't say we have to sign them.... ;) They keep sending 'em, we keep sending 'em back!

We've always been good tenants, and plan on being so again. The landlords seem nice, so hopefully we will be able to convince them to allow this to lapse into a "statutory periodic assured shorthold tenancy" after 12 months.

My worry is the agent wants a fee to renew, so they will push for this. We asked the landlords if we could remove these clauses, but the agent advised them not to.

Anyone got any thoughts on this pls?

Edited by wibble

This is pretty standard for a STA.

Some landlords let it move onto a rolling 1 month contract after the 12 months (and for this there is no renewal fee). Other landlords like the extra protection of a confirmed extra 12 months (so there is a fee for a new contract, of which the landlord has to pay half). So the clauses are in there to keep the landlord's options open.

If the landlord seems OK with letting you move onto a rolling contracty then this should not affect you.

odd, I have never and will never pay renewal fees.

But I deal with landlord direct no ripoff agency in the middle.

Edited by Chrysalis