House Price Crash Forum
bpw

The Tone Of This Forum Has Changed

I’m sure a few others here will have noted that the tone of the HPC forum changes over time. A while back we were all debating the rational basis for increasing house prices; all of us learned a little about the effects of low interest rates, demographics and the knock on effect of pensions scandals. At that time, I noticed many were critical when I suggested there was a fourth dimension and that was a greedy boomer generation who were in fact engrained in the establishment – recall my delightful ‘hogs around a trough analogy’, the boiled frog syndrome, and observations on the scandalous bias towards pensioners.

It’s taken a while, but the new tone suggests my points were perhaps worth serious thought. I don’t think house prices spiraled out of control because of market forces, on the contrary, houses don’t increase in value because they have created wealth, they increase because equity is taken from someone else further down the chain, much like a ponzi scheme. The real reason houses have become the cornerstone of all equity held by those over 45 is simply because new labor let it be so. The proof? Well they could have easily eliminated taxable deductions for second homes, or released land for new developments, or perhaps created tax incentives that would have encouraged people to invest in businesses, much like the Bush administrations’ reduced rate for capital gains on equities. Our slimy, duplicitous, chancellor also didn’t have to increase taxes on pension funds and instead could have responded more quickly to the need for a pension review AND then quickly accepted it. Many factors could have been bought into play which would have slowed house price inflation making it more realistic for youngsters to buy homes instead of renting them. But who collects the rent?

There are now several news articles in the mainstream press which highlight what some have called intergenerational inequity. I am wondering whether the new tone means there are more of you out there who realize this is a political scandal not an aberration of market forces. Given that, there are really only two options for those who are being cheated out of a future:

1. take action against the government by demonstrating, thereby making your true feeling known. Remember the poll tax riots?

2. emigrate to countries where taxes and house prices don’t strangle their youth.

Personally, I think the British hogs have their noses stuffed so deeply into the trough that it’s impossible to make them see sense and be reasonable. Many of us know what it’s like trying to talk with parents about this issue.

So the answer is simple – escape to countries like Canada, which is about to become an oil super-power state, the USA where you can buy a dream house for 250USD, 30minutes drive from downtown, or countries in with lower housing costs, like northern France. The threat of massive emigration will make the hogs think twice about what is left for them after you have all found better lives. After all who will pay their pensions, health care, dental bills and the like when your taxes are collected in another country?

granted the "I am so rich" crazy folk are a little odd..

but..

New builds are officially down 12% in the south west.. and..

Mass stagnation..

I am seeing drops..

did we all expect to wake up one day.. have everyone clap us on the backs with a "you were sooooo right clever cloggs..!!!!"

and pop down fulfords and buy a house at lunch?

I agree - nothing like a bit of street-aggro - see what a little v small-scale street-agitation has done for the Welsh language!

And here's an anecdotal - just spotted a house bouncing back onto the market - 120k last September and 9 months and a lost deposit later - nice newbuild back on the market - 120k

And that's in a county where prices have been rising :lol:

There are now several news articles in the mainstream press which highlight what some have called intergenerational inequity. I am wondering whether the new tone means there are more of you out there who realize this is a political scandal not an aberration of market forces. Given that, there are really only two options for those who are being cheated out of a future:

1. take action against the government by demonstrating, thereby making your true feeling known. Remember the poll tax riots?

2. emigrate to countries where taxes and house prices don’t strangle their youth.

And that's why you should sign up to Priced Out and get involved in the campaign.

The campaign is growing rapidly and the media have started to take notice. The best way to correct this injustice is get together and get organised.

Personally, I think the British hogs have their noses stuffed so deeply into the trough that it’s impossible to make them see sense and be reasonable. Many of us know what it’s like trying to talk with parents about this issue.

Things take time, we're at the start of the pendulum swinging back the way on "house price rises are a good thing". What we need is a unified voice in the mainstream telling people that they aren't.

I know many people here expect a correction to come along and overtake the situation. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. In the meantime this is a glaring social injustice and those responsible, who should have known better than to let it occur, are getting away scot free.

In the meantime campaigning to change peoples perceptions on the merits of uncontrolled house price inflation can never be time wasted.

Edited by HousePriceLottery

granted the "I am so rich" crazy folk are a little odd..

but..

New builds are officially down 12% in the south west.. and..

Mass stagnation..

I am seeing drops..

did we all expect to wake up one day.. have everyone clap us on the backs with a "you were sooooo right clever cloggs..!!!!"

and pop down fulfords and buy a house at lunch?

Just a hint from BOE that IRs will not go down and would rather go up sometime later this year has brought the whole market to a grinding halt, in the same state where it was before last Aug. This tells you what state the Market is in. Just wait for stats to report price falls for a few months and one or two quarter point IR hikes and then watch the drama.

I’m sure a few others here will have noted that the tone of the HPC forum changes over time. A while back we were all debating the rational basis for increasing house prices; all of us learned a little about the effects of low interest rates, demographics and the knock on effect of pensions scandals. At that time, I noticed many were critical when I suggested there was a fourth dimension and that was a greedy boomer generation who were in fact engrained in the establishment – recall my delightful ‘hogs around a trough analogy’, the boiled frog syndrome, and observations on the scandalous bias towards pensioners.

It’s taken a while, but the new tone suggests my points were perhaps worth serious thought. I don’t think house prices spiraled out of control because of market forces, on the contrary, houses don’t increase in value because they have created wealth, they increase because equity is taken from someone else further down the chain, much like a ponzi scheme. The real reason houses have become the cornerstone of all equity held by those over 45 is simply because new labor let it be so. The proof? Well they could have easily eliminated taxable deductions for second homes, or released land for new developments, or perhaps created tax incentives that would have encouraged people to invest in businesses, much like the Bush administrations’ reduced rate for capital gains on equities. Our slimy, duplicitous, chancellor also didn’t have to increase taxes on pension funds and instead could have responded more quickly to the need for a pension review AND then quickly accepted it. Many factors could have been bought into play which would have slowed house price inflation making it more realistic for youngsters to buy homes instead of renting them. But who collects the rent?

So the answer is simple – escape to countries like Canada, which is about to become an oil super-power state, the USA where you can buy a dream house for 250USD, 30minutes drive from downtown, or countries in with lower housing costs, like northern France. The threat of massive emigration will make the hogs think twice about what is left for them after you have all found better lives. After all who will pay their pensions, health care, dental bills and the like when your taxes are collected in another country?

Good post!

Are you a journalist? Your writing is very good!

TB

I'm giving up on an HPC as this government would fly plane loads of Africans in to keep HPI going. Emigration is the key. Canada or New Zealand. They both have so much land that booms only exist in downtown areas, and when they occur further out, it is due to shortage of labour and materials, which corrects itself when the market catches its breath.

I hate this country, the people are jerks, the cost of living is riduculous, the weather is crap, the roads are full, and public services are being destroyed. If I didn't have to have wait for my partner to qualify, I'd have left by now.

Good post!

Are you a journalist? Your writing is very good!

TB

I'm an engineer who lives in the USA. :huh:

I tried getting a couple of letters published in newspapers, mostly in the same vein, alas I was rejected ...... I've been trying to improve my grammar and may try again!

I'm giving up on an HPC as this government would fly plane loads of Africans in to keep HPI going. Emigration is the key. Canada or New Zealand. They both have so much land that booms only exist in downtown areas, and when they occur further out, it is due to shortage of labour and materials, which corrects itself when the market catches its breath.

I hate this country, the people are jerks, the cost of living is riduculous, the weather is crap, the roads are full, and public services are being destroyed. If I didn't have to have wait for my partner to qualify, I'd have left by now.

Hmmm. I agree.

The thought of leaving is becoming more tempting...

3. bid the prices of commodities through the ceiling and bond yields through the floor as they start to retire

4. charge more for doing less as soon as demand outstrips supply in the service economy

... boomers - the worst generation, indeed.

3. bid the prices of commodities through the ceiling and bond yields through the floor as they start to retire

4. charge more for doing less as soon as demand outstrips supply in the service economy

Hehe now that's just vindictive!

... boomers - the worst generation, indeed.

If they don't clean up their act they could well be.

It is sad, but that opinion of our UK is widespread. I have taken the decision to sell and have a place in central France where:

The people are (contarry to popular british belief, friendly and helpful, as long as you try some conversation),

The cost of living is far lower, (everything grows so a little self sufficiency is on the cards)

The weather is great, shoort sharp winters for a roaring fire anbd seasons and long balmy summers

The Roads are a joy to drive on

Public services are very good (again ciontrary to British opinion -give me a FRench hospital everyt time compared with NHS

We couldnt wait for my retireemnt so sold and rent over here, mortgage free over there and never been happier.

Some of the bulls mock us STRs as hawks wishing for a HP collapse and waiting with greed to be financial vultures. Not for me, i am happier now not chasing the buck than i ever was, and my interest in this site is to confirm what i promised my other half would happen a seriou HPC. Ironically she doesnt care now either, there are other things in life, it is not a dress rehersal, you can take the UK and stick it where the sun dont shine, er thats the UK isn't it? B)

Has anybody else spotted why HovelinHove might be disappointed if he emigrates? :lol:

Guest grumpy-old-man

It is sad, but that opinion of our UK is widespread. I have taken the decision to sell and have a place in central France where:

The people are (contarry to popular british belief, friendly and helpful, as long as you try some conversation),

The cost of living is far lower, (everything grows so a little self sufficiency is on the cards)

The weather is great, shoort sharp winters for a roaring fire anbd seasons and long balmy summers

The Roads are a joy to drive on

Public services are very good (again ciontrary to British opinion -give me a FRench hospital everyt time compared with NHS

We couldnt wait for my retireemnt so sold and rent over here, mortgage free over there and never been happier.

Some of the bulls mock us STRs as hawks wishing for a HP collapse and waiting with greed to be financial vultures. Not for me, i am happier now not chasing the buck than i ever was, and my interest in this site is to confirm what i promised my other half would happen a seriou HPC. Ironically she doesnt care now either, there are other things in life, it is not a dress rehersal, you can take the UK and stick it where the sun dont shine, er thats the UK isn't it? B)

Hi,

we have just returned to the UK after a year in France. We found it to be exactly what you mentioned in your post & so much more.

We should have went years ago but couldn't afford it :( , the reson for our return was our 15 & 16 year old said that after finishing lycee (french college) in 2-3 years time they would return to the UK for good. Their blackmail paid off & we decided to return to ensure that their were no problems later on in life with my children.

They both passed their french exams as well (in French), clever bu55ers.

It sounds like you are younger than us, good luck to you but do you research before you go. We found the French (Brittany/Breton people), to be very helpful & found them to be the best neighbours we have ever had (after only 1 year).

Most English people I find very wary, unhelpful, jealous, greedy etc etc........sorry to generalise, but sometimes you have to. I am sure there are some good English ones....just havn't met many.

I used to think - when can I afford a house? Now I think - how can I leave this country?

We have a demented megolamaniac for Prime Minister now pursing his wet dreams of a police state , his own party mesmerized into paralysis and an opposition terrified to oppose for fear of being seen to be soft. Government policy dictated by whatever the Sun headlines said last week. A fu***** asylum.

Hmmm. I agree.

The thought of leaving is becoming more tempting...

[cue violins] :)

[rant begins]

This country doesn't seem to want me, so I'll oblige. On the positive side I'm hoping that it will actually lead to a better life elsewhere, keep hearing stories from our continental cousins that say living here is shockingly expensive, which gives me hope there is a better way somewhere else. I'm learning French like mad for an opportunity on the horizon. I've had enough of feeling like a second class citizen, not able to afford a place near where I work (even renting), therefore having to spend 4 hours a day commuting on an overpriced train service that hardly moves at best (that we also subsidise further with tax).

Can't help but think that there will be a huge void in this country when all the jobs are gone, there'll be nothing but thin air between Gordon Browns @rse and the floor. :D

[rant over]

Hi,

we have just returned to the UK after a year in France. We found it to be exactly what you mentioned in your post & so much more.

We should have went years ago but couldn't afford it :( , the reson for our return was our 15 & 16 year old said that after finishing lycee (french college) in 2-3 years time they would return to the UK for good. Their blackmail paid off & we decided to return to ensure that their were no problems later on in life with my children.

They both passed their french exams as well (in French), clever bu55ers.

It sounds like you are younger than us, good luck to you but do you research before you go. We found the French (Brittany/Breton people), to be very helpful & found them to be the best neighbours we have ever had (after only 1 year).

Most English people I find very wary, unhelpful, jealous, greedy etc etc........sorry to generalise, but sometimes you have to. I am sure there are some good English ones....just havn't met many.

Ooh the sound of this post warms my heart, there is hope, thankyou! Time to exercise the rights of EU citizenship; one less person to raise the rents on.

I hate this country, the people are jerks, the cost of living is riduculous, the weather is crap, the roads are full, and public services are being destroyed.

Apart from that...

This does seem to be part of the problem. The reckless 'no limits' immigration policy of this govnernment and lack of house building to meet demand.

MigrationWatch said housing demand is calculated assuming about 65,000 net immigrants where in fact the average since 1996 is an anuual 140,000

I've joined PricedOut, agree totally with the aims of the organisation.

It is time to take the message 'out there' though.

Anyone interested in joining me for a camp out in Richmond Park in protest at high house prices, right to have affordable family-sized housing?

The things that need to be addressed are;

- immigration and population increase putting pressure on housing

- planning/building restrictions. 46% of new builds now flats, up from 17% in 1997. This is because it's so hard to build outside of towns and cities now.

- BTL. How can FTBs compete with BTL when they get tax breaks on this 'investment' and can leverage equity from existing homes to use as deposits.

- 2nd home ownership. People should be taxed excessively. The boomer generation don't necessarily have dependent kids at home but in some cases they have more than 1 family sized home whilst people like myself, 30 yrs old can't buy more than a 1-bed flat and start a family. This is not the cornerstone of a civilized society.

- banks lending regulations. End to self-cert, large multiple loans which don't protect from higher interest rates.

I hate this country, the people are jerks, the cost of living is riduculous, the weather is crap, the roads are full, and public services are being destroyed. [paranoidmick]

Apart from that... [patprimer74]

...the government are a bunch of scheming neo-Stalinist scum.

Edited by Jeff Ross