House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pim

St. Albans

Hi,

I've been lurking awhile, but decided that I'm going to post as I'm so fed up with the house market. Prices in St. Albans seem to have gone crazy. Two houses I saw recently have ended up in a bidding war. The second house I liked but with people putting in an offer of 36 K above the asking price we decided to walk away. It could go higher.

I am not a troll. I wish that house prices were decreasing. They were last year, but now it's gone mad. We could afford to pay above the odds. Friends say if you really like the house or if the house is worth it then we should go higher in our bid. But how do I know if it really is worth that much money. I didn't fall in love with the house, just that there are so few properties that are decent on the market here. We are in rented so we can wait. What I don't understand is why the agent didn't price the house higher.

It became a bidding war as they advertised the property 2 weeks before they allowed viewings. Then in a week of viewing it had a tremendous amount of interest. It just makes me feel sick.

I don't hear this happening elsewhere just here in St. Albans, why???

pim

Hi,

I've been lurking awhile, but decided that I'm going to post as I'm so fed up with the house market. Prices in St. Albans seem to have gone crazy. Two houses I saw recently have ended up in a bidding war. The second house I liked but with people putting in an offer of 36 K above the asking price we decided to walk away. It could go higher.

I am not a troll. I wish that house prices were decreasing. They were last year, but now it's gone mad. We could afford to pay above the odds. Friends say if you really like the house or if the house is worth it then we should go higher in our bid. But how do I know if it really is worth that much money. I didn't fall in love with the house, just that there are so few properties that are decent on the market here. We are in rented so we can wait. What I don't understand is why the agent didn't price the house higher.

It became a bidding war as they advertised the property 2 weeks before they allowed viewings. Then in a week of viewing it had a tremendous amount of interest. It just makes me feel sick.

pim

well i did hear that st.albans was the most expensive area to buy in outside london.........

Yes, I know. I've met a few looking who have come up from London for the day. All moving because of the schools here. I'm sort of stuck as I have 2 children in school already and and don't want to change schools if I can help it.

It's just annoying as I have time to look and the market has gone crazy and there is not much worth buying out there. So it looks like we're going to stay in rented for a while yet.

pim

Hi,

pim

Evening pim

Welcome aboard.

There's a St Albans thread already:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=13386

Shall we use this exisitng thread, and kill off the new one???

mjd

:ph34r:

Edited by mjdazeley

well i did hear that st.albans was the most expensive area to buy in outside london.........

Still cheaper then northwood..prices here are just out of this world :angry:

It definitely is London money. Most people I know here have moved out of London. It's been like that for years. I'm not a St Alban's person so I'm not complaining.

But it can't be healthy that there are so few decent properties on the market. A couple of friends who have sold can't find a place to move to. They have pretty large budgets.

pim

St Albans is expensive because London and surrounding has gone to pot. The congestion charge hasn't helped. Hemel is not very nice. Its just a very desireable area and you pay a premium.

Edited by Spoony

St Albans is expensive because London and surrounding has gone to pot. The congestion charge hasn't helped. Hemel is not very nice. Its just a very desireable area and you pay a premium.

Yep, St Albans is just plain silly. Once you fight you way past all of the Volvo XC90's and the BMW X5's, and the odd Mercedes M Class on the school run, you suddenly realise that this feels remarkably like Belsize park. In fact it could double for it. St Albans' London Rd is a dead ringer for Haverstock Hill in Belsize Park. Same scene, safer aspect. Just trip over to Smallville if you want to slum it!

Still cheaper then northwood..prices here are just out of this world :angry:

If the Met line gets worse that may change plus Northwood is going down hill a bit lately (I feel in the minority speaking English). I have had my car boken into twice at Moor Park Station. You can get into town quicker from St Albans.

Yup friends of mine also moved out of trendy Crouch End for St A's - supposedly for the schools but also because they cld swap big house in CE bought many years ago for average house in St A's but keep all the trappings to go with it.

Think it could be regarded by some on this site as perverse mewing.

What a coincidence. I know 2 lots of people, who have moved out of Crouch End because of the schools here and another from there looking but not finding anything in St. Albans. They are going into rented to give themselves some more time to look.

Since mid-June I have not looked at anything as there is absolutely nothing to look at. We're looking to buy a basic 1930's 3 bed house. I've given up looking until the autumn.

pim

What a coincidence. I know 2 lots of people, who have moved out of Crouch End because of the schools here and another from there looking but not finding anything in St. Albans. They are going into rented to give themselves some more time to look.

Since mid-June I have not looked at anything as there is absolutely nothing to look at. We're looking to buy a basic 1930's 3 bed house. I've given up looking until the autumn.

pim

On right move are lots of houses in St. Albans...just ridicules expensive

Hi,

I'm just replying to this one question of Monopoly.

There may seem to be lots of properties for sale but in the area I'm looking there isn't at all, nothing, zilch. Most of the houses are on the outskirts of St.Albans, like Park Street, Chiswell Green, Brickets Wood, Colney Heath et all.

Plus they are so overpriced at the moment.

pim

Hi,

I'm just replying to this one question of Monopoly.

There may seem to be lots of properties for sale but in the area I'm looking there isn't at all, nothing, zilch. Most of the houses are on the outskirts of St.Albans, like Park Street, Chiswell Green, Brickets Wood, Colney Heath et all.

Plus they are so overpriced at the moment.

pim

pim

You might want to check out the Connells spreadsheet on the other St Albans thread.

It shows the number of houses (and their prices) on Connells' books over time. We are currently at a low point, which tallies with what you say above.

mjd