House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubble Pop Electric

Rates Rise Threat Receded As Boe Survey

Surely the key concern for the bank should be what inflation is actually doing, not what the public think about it.

What do the public know? Joe bloggs is the one who's sending the economy down the pan in the first place (well, him & his mate big Gordon).

The banks theory is that if the public are confident with the message the bank sends out, then the British worker won't be asking for pay rises, & manufacturers won't have to put their prices up to cope with it.

I'm sorry, but what absolute tosh. Joe Public has absolutely no idea what inflation means to him, & can you imagine unskilled Britain asking for a pay rise when there's an army of Polish/etc migrants just waiting to fill their boots at half the cost?

In addition, with UK businesses struggling to compete, there's little chance of them putting their prices up, come what may.

Surely the major causes for inflation are high oil & commodities prices, & rising global interest rates. The British public has absolutely no control over those whatsoever. If the bank sits on its hands & does nothing, & the causes of inflation do not disappear by themselves (which obviously they won't), then the bank will only have to take more drastic steps later on to tackle what has become a much bigger problem.

Maybe that would be a good thing, because that would absolutely shatter the confidence of the public.

Reminds me of when Brits were asked what they thought about going into the Euro. The majority didn't understand the fundamentals of economics, they simply didn't want to lose the Queen's head on their 'Great British Pound'. (Same reason why we're still driving around with miles on our speedos, perhaps? And why greengrocers are still trading in pounds & ounces.)

So asking your average Brit to comment on CPI/RPI figures is hardly likely to yield insightful, thought-provoking responses... <_<

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, don't look around.......................... :lol:

How can the government admit to inflation if they have been covering up? :blink:

They have removed everything that has risen in price from the CPI basket so what do you expect---inflation?

If they included items that people MUST have the picture might show inflation at around 5-6%. BTW saw a Currys ad on TV last night and an MP3 player is going for half price so if its the one in Gordon's basket we might expect a fall in inflation next time figures are released.

hmmm. misinformation machine on overdrive then!

tell people constantly that they'll be screwed if interest rates rise, but balance that with the concept of paying more for their goods and services (i.e ignoring inflation) will keep interest rates and therefore their mortgage repayments down! i suppose people will less adverse to paying more for their goods etc. if it's all on credit anyway...

and to paraphrase an earlier poster - since when has the government or indeed the mpc given two shits about the public perception of inflation?

Reminds me of when Brits were asked what they thought about going into the Euro. The majority didn't understand the fundamentals of economics, they simply didn't want to lose the Queen's head on their 'Great British Pound'.

And the sensible ones realised that giving control over interest rates to the Germans was even more stupid than giving it to Gordon Brown.

Just imagine how insanse house prices would be here if we had Euro interest rates. Oh, but we don't have to, we can just look at Ireland.