House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomr

Article On Tv Property Shows

You Brits all want a patch of earth to call your own - but only because you're obsessed with its escalating value. It's sheer greed

Lionel Shriver

Tuesday June 13, 2006

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story...1796365,00.html

"Yet the joke is on homeowners. The bugbear about rising real-estate prices is that, so long as you live in your house, you cannot cash in. Unless you die - one of the only ingenious routes to capitalising on the craze - selling involves buying another house, whose value has also risen, and costs just as much as the one you sold. In addition to the leech class of speculators, developers and estate agents, the biggest winner in the property sweep-stakes is the government. Just watch the pound signs pop into the eyes of local council tax officials when property is soon reappraised. How happy Gordon has been to horde all that stamp duty. Ironically, rising values actually cost the homeowner money."

"You homeowners, do you think we in the property underclass admire you? That we watch Location, Location, Location and swoon to your babble about how many more thousands of pounds your little hovel is worth this week than last? No, sorry. We hate you."

Christ almightly - the oil tanker that is the mainstream press is finally bloody turning. Why are they always so far behind the game? No disrespect to Lionel whatnot - he's surely been sending them stuff like this for years and they, no doubt, have been consistently binning it with a fastidious wrinkling of their little noses.

Christ almightly - the oil tanker that is the mainstream press is finally bloody turning.

Yep. Just found another similar one actually. Kirstie and Phil exposed to be ... well ... liars basically:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/buyin...1773501,00.html

"In the TV world inhabited by Britain's favourite property duo, Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer, making money from buy-to-let property is a doddle. Follow a few basic rules, buy a place in a carefully selected city, and just sit back and wait for the money to roll in."

"Lee Grandin, managing director of Landlord Mortgages, which approves 300 buy-to-let mortgages a month, watched the programme with disbelief.

"I thought the whole thing was a load of drivel. I am happy to talk up the buy-to-let sector all day long because it's my business, but I have no idea where they got their figures from or how they came up with the top 10.""

"The programme told viewers that prices will rise by up to 55% over the next five years. But this week the Bank of England ruled out the prospect of another property boom. Halifax is also currently warning that rising unemployment and higher taxes will take the edge off demand, and predicted an easing of house-price growth in the second half of the year."

he's surely been sending them stuff like this for years and they, no doubt, have been consistently binning it with a fastidious wrinkling of their little noses.

You made that up, didn't you.....?

The Guardian isn't in the Daily Express camp and never has been.

The "we hate you" bit spoils it. He makes a very good point about values being paper figures only, but then spoils it by sounding spiteful.

The Kirsty & Phil show has done a disservice to everyone, including homeowners. most of whom are not speculators but simply people who've ended up buying a home to give their family some roots and some stability. The wild prices are a by-product of that phenomenon, not (for most people) the reason for buying.

Christ almightly - the oil tanker that is the mainstream press is finally bloody turning. Why are they always so far behind the game? No disrespect to Lionel whatnot - he's surely been sending them stuff like this for years and they, no doubt, have been consistently binning it with a fastidious wrinkling of their little noses.

Er, Lionel's not a chap. She's a she. Just a funny american use of a first name.

You made that up, didn't you.....?

The Guardian isn't in the Daily Express camp and never has been.

The "we hate you" bit spoils it. He makes a very good point about values being paper figures only, but then spoils it by sounding spiteful.

The Kirsty & Phil show has done a disservice to everyone, including homeowners. most of whom are not speculators but simply people who've ended up buying a home to give their family some roots and some stability. The wild prices are a by-product of that phenomenon, not (for most people) the reason for buying.

I agree, the Grauniad isn't the Daily Express at all, didn't mean to equate them. That said, it's become the paper of the satisfied, wealthy, complacent nulabor voter and I don't trust it for news. The housing crisis in this country is just one of the things it's failed to cover properly over the past few years. Here's an excellent website about the mainstream news machine in this country. medialens Always lots of food for thought on there - pick a page. It doesn't go for easy targets (like the gutter press) but challenges how the 'quality' mainstream press operates - its vested interests, the paradigms that it assumes, that sort of thing. Must admit that I haven't read the book written by the two guys who run the site - but I have it pencilled in for me summer hols.

Buddha all seeing! The press are finally getting it. The only beneficiaries of inflated house prices are:

1. The Government (stamp duty, LR fees, inheritance tax, CGT where it applies)

2. Local Government (higher council tax)

3. EAs who make more on inflated prices

4. Flippers if they bought low AND sold high

5. Lenders who just love all that debt

For the person who just wants to own a house a 300% increase in its perceived value means nothing other than grief for their kids and a windfall for the tax man if they should snuff it. What a rip off and no wonder Gordon Brown has been stoking HPI since he came to power in No. 11.

Edited by Realistbear

As for the original article, it comes over all very bitter and twisted.

Shame really because there were some reasonable points.

However, why is this person still renting at nearly 50 years of age? :huh:

Surely there was a time when it was affordable to them, hence one could argue they missed the boat? :(

Sorry if it's not the case as I only read 1/2 the article, because of what I considered their percieved chip on shoulders. :unsure:

So do you agree that most owner-occupiers don't benefit from HPI, or not?

Guest pioneer31

Another one...

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story...1781174,00.html

Second-home owners are among the most selfish people in Britain

Every purchase of a second house deprives someone else of a first one. The only answer is to tax them prohibitively

George Monbiot

Tuesday May 23, 2006

The Guardian

It's incredible isn't it? A newspaper saying what we all knew years back. TAX 2nd homes!!!!!!!!

Why this bleeding heart liberal do gooding govt won't help it's own people with housing is a mystery to me. At the same time they're happy to hand out money to tom dick and harry who wants to come and live here.

This country is backward. They won't scrap analogue TV until nearly everyone has a digital telly because, hey, you'd have to fork out an enormous £40 for a freeview box prematurely. They're trying to ban ticket touting (same principle as housing - gobble up the supply and cause a price hike) because, hey, nobody should pay more than the ticket price to watch a concert (music satisfaction hardly being at the top of Maslows hierarchy of needs)

Yet when it comes to housing, screw the public. WHo care if you all rent or pay 3 times what the house is worth and die early of stress due to massive debt. But then, cabinet MP's don't attend pop concerts but many of them DO own several houses, Michael Meecher owning a mere 7 of 'em!!!

Priorities totally f****g wrong in the UK.

Edited by pioneer31

"The bugbear about rising real-estate prices is that, so long as you live in your house, you cannot cash in. Unless you die - one of the only ingenious routes to capitalising on the craze - selling involves buying another house, whose value has also risen, and costs just as much as the one you sold"

It's worse than that of course, that lovely big house that was once £100k more expensive than your own abode is now £200k away or even more, despite the notional gains you've made on your own property.

The property ladder doesn't actually exist for anyone but down sizers.

Edited by BuyingBear

Another one...

http://money.guardian.co.uk/property/story...1781174,00.html

Second-home owners are among the most selfish people in Britain

Every purchase of a second house deprives someone else of a first one. The only answer is to tax them prohibitively

George Monbiot

Tuesday May 23, 2006

The Guardian

Probably the first time I have agreed with Monbiot! Oh what sad days are these!

If monbiot was alive during the civil war he would have been a puritan who went around persecuting people for dancing, playing music, playing sport or doing anything else that might me construed as having fun. Instead, he is a "thou shalt not" ultra left wing eco-facsist. Probably the closest he can get to making everyone dress in black and be miserable the whole time.

Probably the first time I have agreed with Monbiot! Oh what sad days are these!

Actually Monbiot is a muppet of his own making, his cheap environmentalism has a cost, not to him and others like him but for an entire generation that haven't been provided with decent housing purely for dogmatic reasons.

Monbiot is the worst of all puritans, a reformed puritan! :-

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/07/27/think-inside-the-box/' rel="external nofollow">
, more humps, stiffer penalties for bad drivers will all save lives, but we appear to accept that some people will always drive like lunatics.
I did for a couple of years
after I was deemed fit to sit behind a steering wheel. It is after all what driving, for many people – especially young men – is all about: the freedom to behave like an idiot.
Edited by BuyingBear

The Ten Comandments According to Monbiot;

1. Thou shalt not fly in easyjet or ryan air, thou shalt not fly at all unless thou be jolly rich indeed.

2. Thou shalt not drive a car- thou shalt pay over thine odds to sweat and wait on pubic transport instead.

3. Thou shalt accept that a marginal increase in a trace gas will cause the end of the world- or else!

4. Thou shalt denounce Genetically Modified food because I said so.

6. Thou shalt denounce nuclear power even though it solves Commandment 3.

7. Thou shalt believe that public sector pays for private sector and not vice versa, for to beleive otherwise is abomination.

8. etc.

You Brits all want a patch of earth to call your own - but only because you're obsessed with its escalating value. It's sheer greed

"You homeowners, do you think we in the property underclass admire you? That we watch Location, Location, Location and swoon to your babble about how many more thousands of pounds your little hovel is worth this week than last? No, sorry. We hate you."

So true!......

Lionel Shriver is renting at 50 despite having several bestselling books. :blink:

It seems like her priorities with money were a bit un-wise. Its a bit harsh for her to say "I hate you" to people who spent their money more wisely. What is she going to do in retirement?