House Price Crash Forum
CrashConnoisseur

M E N: Chippies Take A Battering As Prices Soar.

'Chippies take a battering as prices soar':

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...rices_soar.html

The nation's favourite takeaway meal is taking a battering because of soaring prices. The cost of a portion of fish and chips has reached £5 in some parts of the country as the cost of North Sea cod and potatoes has almost doubled.

Chippies in Manchester say they are being forced to put up prices and fear customers will be driven away. Neil Bullivant, who owns Neil's Friery in Langworthy Road, Salford, has put up the price of fish and chips by 17p to £3.15.

He said: "The prices have rocketed but we can't charge £5 for a portion of fish and chips because people just will not be prepared to pay." The dramatic price rise has been blamed on bad weather and a poor harvest of potatoes, as well as on-going European wide fishing restrictions.

Edited by Jeff Ross

Since being a small lad I have never liked Spanish Food, so I dont care that Fish and Chips are now £5:00

I like real English food, such as Rats Tail Soup, or Grub Sandwich with lashing of Mayo.

Apparantly under the orders of the Deputy PM Piscock

The Chancellors Shopping basket next year must have Pimms, and Cucumber Sandwiches, and Canopes as part of the weekly shop measured for inflation.

Since being a small lad I have never liked Spanish Food, so I dont care that Fish and Chips are now £5:00

I like real English food, such as Rats Tail Soup, or Grub Sandwich with lashing of Mayo.

What about HP source?

Oh bugger.

'Chippies take a battering as prices soar':

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...rices_soar.html

Wikipedia says:

Chips became associated with meals of fried fish because the fat in which the fish was fried often became too hot for good frying. To return the fat to an optimal temperature, chefs dunked cut-up potatoes into the fat. Shops initially gave the resultant potato-chips away free with the fish

So many years ago fish and chip prices were very affordable!