House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Seeing As I Am So Rubbish At Negotiatng Apparently What Would You Offer ?

If it's going to go for more than £440k you won't get it anyway, and there will always be another one. It might not be quite the same but it might be better...so typical, commit to one and then a better one comes along!

At £60k below the asking I wouldn't bother negotiating. Tell them you love the house but the most you can pay is £440k. Then gauge how hard they try and sell it to you. If they don't bother they've either got, or are confident of getting, a higher offer. That's fine, just walk. If they go for the heavy-handed persuasion, the "this is a unique opportunity you'd be a fool to miss it just another £15k you know you can raise it yada yada yada..." - THEN WALK. Don't discuss and don't negotiate. Don't raise your offer and don't even think of doing so.

Be strong, and if you don't get it this time, you'll live to bid another day. If at any point in a discussion with somebody trying to sell you something you feel uncomfortable, ALWAYS walk. It's the psychology of selling. You're dealing with people who do this all day every day. You have to stay in control.

Oh, and my experience? Lots of friends who buy and sell classic cars, in many cases for far more than £440k. And you wouldn't believe how mentally tough the serious buyers are.

Can't go any higher than £440k.

looks like you're knackered then - houseprices.co.uk has these as the last two sales/dates.

02/07/2004 £480,000

27/11/2001 £340,000

why not try offering the husband of the property "visiting rights" over the next 10 years or so, if you catch my drift? :P

Edited by gasket37

As you have seen from the ODPM figures Stratford is one of the fastest falling cities in the UK. They are down around 8% last quarter. I would offer what I thought the bottom of the market would bring. So let's see, 8% last quarter and we are in the first year of the correction. The HPC will probably take 4 years to bottom out in which case I would expect an overall drop of around 40% for Stratford (32% more to go).

500k less 40% = 300k. Still seems alot for a small Terrace though!

For less money how about a massive 6 bedroom detached in Stratford:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-113...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

The Terrace you are looking at may be a ringer--Rightmove have been seeding their listings with ridiculously priced homes to skew the averages. I would have valued the terrace that you are looking at for around 185k.

You can buy a Vicky Terrace on Shipston Road for about 200k less that the one Rightmove have listed for 500k. Its one less bedroom but a better house and location--and its in better shape:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-116...pa_n=9&tr_t=buy

Edited by Realistbear

The house is beautiful and I do want it desperately.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-112...t=buy&ep=via_sl

Can't go any higher than £440k.

If you want it desperately, and find it beautiful, then I recommend you go look at some other houses. Emotionally, you're not in a very good bargaining position. Buyer/EA have you by short and curlies.

However, if you have time and can wait, your position will be stronger. Hold your ground.

btp

If you can't go any higher than £440K then it's no problem.

Offer them £440K and tell them it's your maximuim offer. If you can't pay more then that's that. It's not a matter of 'negotiation'.

If they thought you had more they might enter into negotiation. If they know it's your absolute maximum, the ball is in their court. It may be that they have one eye on the doom-mongers predicting a fall in the market, and decide to take the offer.

Just offer and be done with it. If they say no, tell them your offer stands if they change their minds, but look elsewhere.

Why spend 440k when this is the place you really want?

Yup! That house on Rightmove is one of their ringers to skew the stats. A largish Vicky terrace in Stratford on a nice street is about 250k. 500k buys you a very nice detached on one of the top streets--usually 5 bedrooms, circular drive and extensive gardens with views.

Yup! That house on Rightmove is one of their ringers to skew the stats. A largish Vicky terrace in Stratford on a nice street is about 250k. 500k buys you a very nice detached on one of the top streets--usually 5 bedrooms, circular drive and extensive gardens with views.

RB, you are in serious denial.

Look on houseprices.co.uk as the previous poster did and you will see this house sold 2 years ago for 480k.

Or do you think Rightmove have access to the Land Registry too?

Are we all looking at the same house.

Is it ex authority?.

It looks like cr4p, its not even detatched. From the outside it looks like a basket case, in years gone by this would have been the village postmans house, or the village idiot.

Half a million for that....................I can see that selling for less than 200k in three years time, and I am not joking.

If that was in Kensington, the maybe its worth half a million, in Warwick, forget it.

Are we all looking at the same house.

Is it ex authority?.

It looks like cr4p, its not even detatched. From the outside it looks like a basket case, in years gone by this would have been the village postmans house, or the village idiot.

Half a million for that....................I can see that selling for less than 200k in three years time, and I am not joking.

If that was in Kensington, the maybe its worth half a million, in Warwick, forget it.

Miaow!

The house looks very nice to me though I agree that £499K (or even £440K) seems way, way over the top. In today's market, I'd have thought £325K would be about right. But then maybe Stratford is more 'Surrey' than I gave it credit for.

Christ almighty! That's a lot of money for a terrace house in S-O-A. If its where I think it is a colleague of mine lives a few doors away - he always complains about not being able to park outside on the weekend. For that sort of money I'd be looking a few miles outside of town...

id say you were very stupid if you even considered buying at that price.

its was £239k 36 months ago. your wages havent risen.

so whats the crack jack ?

I'd say you're looking at the wrong house, it sold for £480k, July 2004 and £340k Nov 2001, I can't find figures any further back than that.

I'm just fed up and having a bad day, I'm not even going to view to it, too depressing but that's the house/location I want, keep dreaming eh ?

I'd say you're looking at the wrong house, it sold for £480k, July 2004 and £340k Nov 2001, I can't find figures any further back than that.

I'm just fed up and having a bad day, I'm not even going to view to it, too depressing but that's the house/location I want, keep dreaming eh ?

Don't worry, you are not alone!. We live on a small development in rented. There is a house for sale that I would like. Is started off at £475k a year ago and is now reduced to £425k. The owners bought around 9 years ago for £127k!.. Kind of puts thing into perspective when wages have not changed that much.!!! Hopefully our patience will be rewarded one day !!!

Lou

You mean the one's where I ridicule you for being an attention seeking fantasist EA troll?

Why have you chosen the most overpriced house in the area? A quick glance at Rightmove shows there is much better value to be had around there.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...ge=&house_type=

Oh hunny if i'm the worst troll you have on here then you're not doing too badly, some of the ones we get on Mumsnet and had on Confetti had people reduced to tears and one woman took an overdose.

In that area, the old town area it is the house I would buy if money was no object which it obviously is.

There probably are cheaper houses but they won't have 4 bedrooms, which we need, they won't have the garden which we want and they won't have the cellar converted which a big job and lots of hassle.

Oh hunny if i'm the worst troll you have on here then you're not doing too badly, some of the ones we get on Mumsnet and had on Confetti had people reduced to tears and one woman took an overdose.

In that area, the old town area it is the house I would buy if money was no object which it obviously is.

There probably are cheaper houses but they won't have 4 bedrooms, which we need, they won't have the garden which we want and they won't have the cellar converted which a big job and lots of hassle.

terrified -- offer them your £440K and see what happens. If you've already convinced yourself that they won't accept it, then you've nothing to lose.

That said, if they bought for £480K a couple of years ago they are likely to be looking for a better return than your £440K. But they may just be desparate, so you could be lucky.

Checked on rightmove for you, placed on the market on the 28-02-2006

£499,950, 4 bedrooms, House FOR SALE

Marketed from: 28-02-2006 34, West Street, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV376DN

A very well situated, character Victorian four bedroom town residence providing well proportioned and recently refurbished accommodation in the heart of the much sought after Old Town, lying within easy reach of Stratford town centre.Briefly affording charming reception hall, cloakroom/utility, a...

Full brochure available

Marketed by John Shepherd Vaughan And Co, Stratford. Telephone 0845 337 0098 (low call rate).

There has been no reductions in the price from instruction date.

As you have said bought in 2-12-04

34 West Street,

Stratford-upon-avon,

Warwickshire,

CV37 6DN £480,000

Terraced

Freehold

Not New Build 02-Jul-2004

Map (CV37 6DN)

Personally think they bought at the peak, now they are possibly scared, how the market might be going in the future (especially if they are mortgaged highly). Now they are trying to get out with some extra money.

When you view the property ask where they are moving to, and if they have found any where, and why they are moving as you notice they have only been there a short time. Reason to say this, is you friend lives down the road and told you it had been bought back in 2004. Watch their answer to this question.

Personally if they have a large amount of equity they will hold out for a better price, if mortgaged to a high amount, just sit back and be patient. Could be inclined to a take a lower offer, after the realisation that they paid to high and that the market could change down wards.

Sorry if any mistakes in the English (Dyslexic bit in me) :rolleyes:

Edited by GADGER

Wait.

499k is an awful lot of money for a terrace. A 0.25% cut saved this market last year, a 0.25% rise will kill it this year. What gets thrown upstairs can just as easily be kicked downstairs.

At about 600 GBP per 100k gearing, you are paying approx. 3000 GBP pcm (and 2,250 GBP in opportunity cost.)

There are fancier places to be in the world at those prices.

I bought four houses of almost exactly the same construction (in the admittedly not so great area of the Meadows in Nottingham for an average price of 28.5k in 1998.) Sold them all at over 100k+. The Meadows in Nottingham is certainly not as good as West St. Stratford-upon-Avon but at 28.5k they're worth a punt, at 100k + take the money off the table, at 499k avoid.

Having said that, what do I know ? I put in a bid on a property in Ashbourne, Derbyshire at 200k (a pretty village, not poor or full of idiots) and was outbid at 340k. Well, what can I say? I saw a couple of hotels in Venice that I valued on a cashflow /profitability basis at no more than 3m euro. On sale 7/8m.

Half a million is a lot for a terrace in only a locally or nationally glamorous place.

The only thing you should ever want desperately is your partner or the happiness of your children.

The first has a large sexual element in it which you will lose control over as you get older, the second you will lose control over as they get older. It's downhill all the way I'm afraid.

But wife and children admire you for moral probity, in varying degrees, as you get older. They think you are a has-been but cannot bring themselves to judge yoiu as a w*nker.

But it does mean if you want to protect your wife and children, you should not go in at 499k.