House Price Crash Forum

World Cup And The Olympics

dave

HOLA441

Long time since I posted, it does seem sentiment has definately turned.

I do remember reading, I think it was on an msn link that which ever country hosts the Olympics, they always witness an upsurge in house prices. How has Germany faired this year hosting the world cup? Or is the market relatively stagnent. I never really hear to much about the housing market in Germany.

I know there are many chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow in parts of London who think they will massively gain from hosting the Olympics. Sure the rent will be good for a few months, but it does not justify some of the price increases in some parts of London. I remember reading the a very successful BTL'r who concentrated mainly on flats said to avoid such areas as they were no longer viable investments. It is immensly difficult to second guess the market, who knows the successful tycoon might be wrong, if prices continue to shoot up in these areas from pure speculation, there is still profits to be made. And that seems to be the main goal of the current wave of BTL'rs.

I have to admit, I thought 2005 was the beginning of a small correction that would last a few years. I was wrong. Those who remember my posts I was leaning towards a stagnation in prices. Seems I was wrong there too. The longer this current momentum is sustained and the closer we get to 2012, this could really prolong any correction to well after 2012. Who knows we might see a massive correction after that, but that would give alot of investors alot of time to keep flipping properties.

HOLA442
HOLA443

i dont agree with your post that prices are 'continuing to shoot up' as what i see here are very poor results and falling prices.

also you cant flip a property if you cant sell it. nothing is selling.

your suggesting prices will continue to 'shoot up' to 2012 so that the average 2 bed london house will cost £789k

your talking out of your anus.

HOLA444

Relative to the size of the city and regional economy, the 2012 Olympics in London will be similar in scale to what the 2002 Commonwealth Games were in Manchester. The Manchester games did not have any noticeable effect on local or regional house prices -- in the years before and after 2002 they continued to rise at a similarly steady rate as those in Leeds on the other side of the Pennines.

'Trend in Average Prices in MANCHESTER -- All Properties':

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/man...es/price_trend/

'Trend in Average Prices in LEEDS -- All Properties':

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/lee...es/price_trend/

I have to admit, I thought 2005 was the beginning of a small correction that would last a few years. I was wrong. Those who remember my posts I was leaning towards a stagnation in prices. Seems I was wrong there too. [dave]

When we look back in 10 or 20 years time we will see that for the UK as a whole, the market topped out in late 2004. What we see now is just noise and distorted statistics.

Germany will have a definate boost from the people who've gone over and are spending money - even though they don't have tickets for matches they've been welcomed. [sarahBell]

If so, then UK fans will have that much less money to spend on housing when they return.

HOLA445

Members keep adding posts about H P increases that simply don't exist outside London,where for the most part prices have been falling since 2004.In the Midlands the market is completely on its knees.I have just secured the purchase of a house there at 82% of original asking price.Yes even then i have probably overpaid but having dramatically down-sized,it was that or renting.