House Price Crash Forum
othello

Suggestion To Ttrtr

I'm interested to know why as an investor (as opposed to a home owner) you don't sell off now and buy again in 5 years time? What is your view of the next 5-10 years? Haven't you thought about what you could have got out of the bull run in stocks and shares since 2003? You could make so much more that you would by sitting on your properties. If you think the market will hold up can you elaborate on how you see it being sustained? If you want to share a bit more I'd also be interested to know where your properties are. As I say I'm just interested. Cheers.

I'm interested to know why as an investor (as opposed to a home owner) you don't sell off now and buy again in 5 years time? What is your view of the next 5-10 years? Haven't you thought about what you could have got out of the bull run in stocks and shares since 2003? You could make so much more that you would by sitting on your properties. If you think the market will hold up can you elaborate on how you see it being sustained? If you want to share a bit more I'd also be interested to know where your properties are. As I say I'm just interested. Cheers.

if you were a farmer who kept chickens - you can either:

1. kill the chickens and sell the meat - one off large payout

2. keep the chickens and sell the eggs - continous income

A lot of BTL investors take to view that as long as your property is cash flow positive (with modest hassles) then why sell them off? there are of course flippers who just want to take their money and run. Each approach has their merits but it depends on how long term a view you have and the types of property the investor owned.

Edited by godsakes

They will never sell up, greed is a powerful instinct, but when they do, you can be sure they will all be running over one another to bail out as quick as they can - and that is the beauty of a crash .. first there's denial, then there's fear, then there's speculation, and then there is reality - a price crash. TTRTR is in denial, scared, whilst we speculate, the reality will dawn on all of us soon enough. Those who risk the most, will stand to lose the most!

I disagree, I had an accidental buy to let, I bought in 2000 met hubby wasn't 100% sure about him so I kept my house on and rented it out. I paid £67,000 for it and rented it for £550 a month so it was a very nice cash cow.

However I sold it in 2004 and was very glad I did, similar houses are now on the market for £20k less than I sold mine for :-) I wouldn't buy another BTL because it was a lot of hard work and stress but if I was a builder or knew what I was doing with DIY I would sell at the top and start again, it would seem mad not to :D

Why sell when he'd be raped by capital gains tax? Doesn't make sense, he bought low and has no need to sell if he can keep a steady rental income. He bought low , that is the key, not like some house under the hammer muppets who have bought in the last 12 months.

Do you think with this many posts I haven't elaborated? I also posted around 2,000 posts prior to when they started being counted.

Should I do it one more time for you? Clue: The answer is in my title. My opening thread title when I first arrived: All these interest rate rises, it must be Time To Raise The Rents.

And let me remind the forum that had I listened to advice like yours when I joined the forum, I would be around 700k worse off than I am now! 700k! Yes, I mean it. 300 or so k would have been paid in CGT and 400k plus is what I've benefitted from in HPI since I joined the forum.

So I think I am the better judge of this situation, but thanks anyway.

I think the simple answer is CGT; he bought low and his portfolio will have accrued considerable value. He also knows that property prices will drop, but he is not significantly over-geared. He is therefore better off staying put and taking a reasonable rental yield.

Not bad work if you can get it.

Yes he got in early, the value of his portfolio is neither here nor there, because it is only imaginary (because he can't get his hands on it) but he does get the rental income and because he bought low he will pretty well insulated, but he is in the majority, and he is pretty screwed as well he knows when the BTL market collapses there will be more tenants for him, I class him as a professional landlord, despite his gloating posts, I think he agrees that houses are over valued and can't wait for a crash otherwise why bother coming on here?

Do you think with this many posts I haven't elaborated? I also posted around 2,000 posts prior to when they started being counted.

Should I do it one more time for you? Clue: The answer is in my title. My opening thread title when I first arrived: All these interest rate rises, it must be Time To Raise The Rents.

And let me remind the forum that had I listened to advice like yours when I joined the forum, I would be around 700k worse off than I am now! 700k! Yes, I mean it. 300 or so k would have been paid in CGT and 400k plus is what I've benefitted from in HPI since I joined the forum.

Wow. you truly are a whang TTRTR.

Truly.

So I think I am the better judge of this situation, but thanks anyway.

You understand that no one really likes you yeah? Because of your personality! You realise this?

Edited by geneer

400k plus is what I've benefitted from in HPI since I joined the forum.

So you sold your flats then. And moved back in with yer dear old mum. Didn't think so.

Then you have benifitted sweet FA from the HPI champ. Maybe you should MEW to "cash in on your equity".

Its all the rage I hear. :lol:

Edited by geneer

*cough* luck *cough*

I think anyone in business accepts you can only control so much of how your business develops the rest is down to luck - that's partly why businesses are both risky and lucrative

In the end you either had you money on the table or you didn't - i think it's laughable how priced out FTBers the proverbial shoe-shine boys are trying to give a businessman financial advice.

The problem with the UK is that people only ever foucs on trying to bring down sucessful people, never thinking they might be able to do better themselves.

Edited by godsakes

The reality is - he got lucky, right place right time. He thinks its down to some amazing business acumen.

He also suffers from a wierd personality disorder that will make him cut off his nose to spite his face based on the postings of complete strangers on an anon internet board.

In his heart of hearts he knows it is way past time to bail, but now he won't because he's a wierdo.

He's also too chickenshit scared to come over to the 'other place' where his detractors now mainly hang out.

I think the reality is... he doesnt want to pay the gains tax

But if he mostly lives in Sweden can he not dodge a lot of the tax? (Non UK resident)

Just a thought...

He's also too chickenshit scared to come over to the 'other place' where his detractors now mainly hang out.

TTRTR isn't the one who has run away from this site.

Why chase someone who has run away? That would be cruel.

Can people on here not accept that he has done well, has made a decision not to sell and is happy to weather whatever storm may be ahead.

Does it ever cross your minds that you may not know everything about property, people's situation, their short, mid and longterm goals or what actually makes them happy?

Chop and change your investments if that is what makes you happy. But if people have invested in property and are happy to sit tight then let them.

Although you will deny it as 'proprty is a boring investment at best' etc etc etc, sometimes you come accross as beeing a teensy weensy bit jealous.

Can people on here not accept that he has done well, has made a decision not to sell and is happy to weather whatever storm may be ahead.

No problem with that at all. Also find his perspective on being a landlord interesting.

However, I do object to him being an obnoxious c**t, which he is a lot of the time.

Wow. you truly are a whang TTRTR.

Truly.

You understand that no one really likes you yeah? Because of your personality! You realise this?

You shouldn't try to speak for other people. I reckon he's worth 10 of the mad bear, the 'economic cycle will return to 3.5 x salary types'. Despite the stick on here he is good-natured and his posts are well worth reading.

The Goose That laid the Golden Eggs is a fable ascribed to the writer/slave Aesop.

According to the fable, a poor farmer found, to his amazement, that one of the geese in his flock had begun laying eggs made of gold. The farmer and his wife began selling the gold, and were finally becoming prosperous. At long last, the farmer's wife suggested that they were fools to wait for the goose to produce gold at such a slow rate - they could kill the goose, cut it open, and get all the gold inside it right now!

The farmer did as his wife suggested, and cut open the goose. To his horror, he found that there was no gold inside the goose, and since the goose was now dead, it would not be laying any golden eggs in the future. Gradually, the farmer and his wife became poor again.

Lessons to be drawn from the story: the destructiveness of greed, the virtue of patience.

In the English language, "Killing the golden goose" has become a metaphor for any short-sighted action that may bring an immediate reward, but will ultimately prove disastrous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goose_tha...the_Golden_Eggs

The reality is that selling BTl and investing the money elsewhere is not an option for most landlords. They wouldn't have any cash to invest anywhere else because all they own is debt not property.

A ********** is on the way and when it happens BTL will be a dirty word for decades to come.

When you are sat in the pub listening to how people lost their shirts by dabbling in BTl that is the time to go out and buy a BTL

If TTRTR bought a load of property in the late 90s then bully for him.

That fact doesn't help me or the hundreds of thousands of young people who have been truly effed over by HPI.

Here's another fable for you: Once upon a time a skip load of people borrowed hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy houses, only for interest rates to go up and the value of their houses to fall over 30% over the next 6 years.

Oh no sorry, that actually happened didn't?