House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Powergen Closes Indian Call Centres

It's too late for people like me, who have seen my whole department offshored to a bunch of utterly useless Indian IT folks, who are not better or cheaper than the people who were thrown on the scrapheap, to be replaced by Indian visa holders (!). It's been a complete disaster. Apparently 40% of Indian IT outsourcing deals completely fail - I'm surprised it's so low. This is a high-tech business critical support infrastructure which a Big Petrol company has outsourced. How many people are there like me are there out there with similar tales but without an outlet for our grief.

"Better and cheaper" was the Indian outsourcing mantra - it's not better and it's not cheaper. More lies and pc b/s.

http://itvoice.wikispaces.com

My experience, as a fellow ITworker, is different.

I would agree with the main point of this thread, that Indian cell centres are annoying but Indian IT workers I've worked with have been excellent -- very good technically, diligent, and much cheaper than their British counterparts. It's not a development I welcome, for obvious selfish reasons, but the jobs I've seen Indian oursourced workers handle have been a success. I'm sure there must be failures, as you say, but there are failures among UK IT projects as well.

Perhaps more important, why did the 40% fail (assuming this figure is correct)? How many were down to inept British project management?

If the Indians were any good, they would have an excellent telecoms business of their own, an fantastic banking system, and would be scaring the crap out of Bill Gates.

The fact is, they are servants, they can only do what you show them, zero inovation, zero thinking for themselves, zero progress.

They question nothing, they accept anything even if they can see it is wrong,it goes beyond education its in the blood, the ability to question everything, analyse everything, constantly rework everything to be the best is something they sadly lack.

For sure, under the proper controls, and with the right coaxing, and good documentation provided that documentation was provided by the recently highly skilled worker in the UK or US and subsequently laid off, then for sure they can get by.

If the whole world offshored to India, then the world in terms of technology and science would remain static.

And there would be nobody to write down their daily instructions.

Could it not be simply the case that the Labour Party have decimated the education system in the UK in less than 8 years, and the Indians have invested in education, and in fact have received large lump sums from the UK Government in development aid, and education?.

Given that the Labour Party have created and promoted Offshoring, it makes you wonder what side they are batting for!!!!!.

And more to the point, what t0ssers voted them to represent them in the general election.

Funny thing is - Indians are mad for education - can't get enough of it. My 17 year old son and his peers generally 'can't be @rsed'. And my 17 year old son and his peers are almost impossible to understand - so no jobs in a call centre for them.

Funny thing is - Indians are mad for education - can't get enough of it. My 17 year old son and his peers generally 'can't be @rsed'. And my 17 year old son and his peers are almost impossible to understand - so no jobs in a call centre for them.

I grew up in a developing country and it was the same thing. Education is what you need to get a good job and salary, if you screw up you go hungry. That's pretty much how it was/is.

The UK is very different, when I moved back the difference was shocking. One of the UK's main problems is its welfare state, you can be a complete waste of space and someone will always pick up the tab here.

Listen pal, you bloody lot hate us so much you supprt ANYONE we're playing football against and can't wait to see us fail...

And I have a bit of experience here. My background is largely Irish. That's my experience anyway.

That’s quite a generalisation. They don't hate the English, just enjoy it when we underachieve.

A large number of Scots are descended from Ireland anyhow.

Not suckered, sucked. During the boom times things worked like this:

• Directors put together business plan making £X million of revenue from dotcom piece of software over next 24 months

• Techy's or managers say it's take 12 months min with Y resources. Work has to begin immediately.

• Techy's get told to employ Y people within 4 weeks.

• Techy's do Y * 5 interviews. Y / 3 people are suitable.

• Managers say, take the best Y.

• 2Y/3 people who don't have the skills or intelligence are "sucked into the industry".

• 18 months later software isn't ready, business plan fails and Y/2 people are made redundant.

• Those who aren't skilled go back to stacking shelves... until the next boom.

T&T

I read sucked too. My experience so far has been saving a project for a company from an Indian development team who really screwed it up through total lack of communication... they may be amazing developers, but that doesn't mean they understand what you want :)

My 5 eggs are that some Indian companies are good, some are not... just like anywhere else.

Overseas development is very cheap for the donkey work, but donkey work is what gives people experience, so if we don't get it, our professionals will dry up!

If the Indians were any good, they would have an excellent telecoms business of their own, an fantastic banking system, and would be scaring the crap out of Bill Gates.

The fact is, they are servants, they can only do what you show them, zero inovation, zero thinking for themselves, zero progress.

They question nothing, they accept anything even if they can see it is wrong,it goes beyond education its in the blood, the ability to question everything, analyse everything, constantly rework everything to be the best is something they sadly lack.

For sure, under the proper controls, and with the right coaxing, and good documentation provided that documentation was provided by the recently highly skilled worker in the UK or US and subsequently laid off, then for sure they can get by.

If the whole world offshored to India, then the world in terms of technology and science would remain static.

and in one post we have a definition of cultural imperialism, and how it manifests itself in the world today.

Edited by Milkshock

Laurejon

You are as stupid as you are a pr*t.

You have no idea about the world, current or historical. You think like a frog in a well.

India and China are emerging economic giants. Tomorrow's world is theirs if we are going to have opinions like yours. Your opinions may be based on a few Indians that you have met in here. But you should notice that any good Indian or Chinese would not be in Britain doing your servant jobs.

FYI, India has a good telecommunication network; many companies operate in this sector. Infact, it is one of the largest and fastest growing sectors in the world. If we can invest in them, we can also make a profit. Some of their IT companies are the best in the world. their stock market is doing well, as good as ours. Many of their drug companies are international players.

You think they live on offshore business from Britain, I would suggest you travel once in a while and see countries.

Do you know that many of our companies are still making a lot of their money from India and China? If they stopped us stealing from them, our economy would suffer badly?

Please do some reading or research before you put forth stupid postings.

Just got off the phone from a Jock customer services bloke. Didn't understand a word he said - a strong accent coupled with a desire to speak 1000 words per minute didn't help. Ended up agreeing to whatever he was saying. Maybe that's why the companies employ "them"? Anyway, it was Scottish Power, so I should have seen that coming when I joined up to save a penny more than British Gas.

Ive always wondered why Indians/Asians tend to follow the status quo and not innovate?

Take Bollywood. For decades almost everything made is the same format, same squeaky chintzy music, nearly always about simplistic romance. Where is thier 'Alien', 'Jaws', 'Misery' or 'Point Break'?

I listen to Asian radio sometimes. Until recently every song sounds the same, no innovation, and effects such as echo used in a very clumsy way and all very unpolished. For example they will use a really crap synth sound the sort we used in 'B' alien movies in the 1960s and much too loud. Its like no thought goes in.

This is'nt racist, this is just what goes on and I truly want to know why. Note I have noticed some Asian music is now innovating and professional so there is hope, but why has it taken so long?.

When someone starts making decent entertaining movies in India they will become a billionaire overnight.

it doesnt work. the same way trying to operate indias power service careline from a dartford call centre wouldnt work.

calling an indian call centre is barely better than calling the automated * button intros. they can only follow limited requests.

often they send an engineer out in a 2 stroke 3 wheeler to hit your gas meter with a shoe.

Just got off the phone from a Jock customer services bloke. Didn't understand a word he said - a strong accent coupled with a desire to speak 1000 words per minute didn't help. Ended up agreeing to whatever he was saying. Maybe that's why the companies employ "them"? Anyway, it was Scottish Power, so I should have seen that coming when I joined up to save a penny more than British Gas.

If that bloke was talking to an English bloke in a pub in London, he'd moderate his accent automatically so you could both converse.

I guess it's because they're in their native environment, with everyone else in full regional accent overload, that they don't switch it off.

Next time I get caught on this I am just going to keep repeating 'Sorry, I cannot understand you, can you put me on to someone else please.' - Needless to say though, they'll just cut you off.

Someone started up a good website a while ago which told you which companies had oursourced their customer service and to where. Can't find it in Google. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My next buying decision on any service where I may need customer support will be based to a large extent on where their customer service is located.

Laurejon

You are as stupid as you are a pr*t.

You have no idea about the world, current or historical. You think like a frog in a well.

India and China are emerging economic giants. Tomorrow's world is theirs if we are going to have opinions like yours. Your opinions may be based on a few Indians that you have met in here. But you should notice that any good Indian or Chinese would not be in Britain doing your servant jobs.

FYI, India has a good telecommunication network; many companies operate in this sector. Infact, it is one of the largest and fastest growing sectors in the world. If we can invest in them, we can also make a profit. Some of their IT companies are the best in the world. their stock market is doing well, as good as ours. Many of their drug companies are international players.

You think they live on offshore business from Britain, I would suggest you travel once in a while and see countries.

Do you know that many of our companies are still making a lot of their money from India and China? If they stopped us stealing from them, our economy would suffer badly?

Please do some reading or research before you put forth stupid postings

Very Interesting........................however history has nothing to do with it.

Giving Indians work, is like the Tail wagging the dog.

We should block their trade, along with China, and break their economies in order that we can continue to extract the natural resources at a cheap price. If we allow them to develop at our expense then that would be a problem.

I would urge anyone using a bank that utilises the cheap labour overseas to begin by switching to UK only banks, buy UK produced food, and ensure that the Yellow Peril, and the Rust, Dusties do not get a grip on our resources.

As for their markets, well I think you need to catch up with the programme, innovation............point something out please, they copy our goods and get away with it, but not for much longer.

Many companies have realised that the cheap copied goods coming into the Uk are a result of the very same companies that are hit with fakes outsourcing in the first place.

I'm Backing Britain............that should be the new campaign.

City of London police are investigating claims that an Indian call centre worker sold personal information on 1,000 UK bank accounts for £4.25 each.

The worker told an undercover journalist from The Sun that he could copy more than 200,000 customer accounts a month, containing passwords, addresses, phone numbers and passport details.

More than one bank was thought to be involved in the operation, but the details have been handed to the police.

"It is shocking to see that one individual could get their hands on such complete, confidential information," said Donal Casey, a consultant at IT services company Diagonal Security.

"Quite simply this should not be possible. Banks have multiple layers of security and should be tracking and auditing who, within their organisation and the outsourcer's, has access to and is using confidential customer data."

Many UK firms have moved their call centres offshore in a bid to save money, including most banks, building societies and the National Rail Service. Staff in India cost around 80p per hour compared to £6 in the UK.

The Sun named the seller as Kkaran Bahree and said that he claimed to be able to pass on details of mortgages, medical bills and mobile phones.

He told the journalist that he had a thriving business selling such information to Britain and India, and made contact with buyers via the internet.

Call centre fraud on Citibank mars Indian BPO image

The need to put in place stringent information security systems to combat cyber crimes in India’s flourishing IT outsourcing industry has come under the spotlight following detection of a major fraud, reports IANS from Mumbai.

Experts say stealing of more than $350,000 from Citibank’s customers in New York by some former and present employees of Indian call centre MphasiS, back office service provider to the bank, comes as a major blow to local firms.

They say the incident involving Citibank account holders may prompt other global corporations, especially those working in the financial domain, to rethink plans to ship jobs like credit card billing and bank account processing to India.

========================================================================

India suicide alert as stocks crash

Monday 22 May 2006, 13:48 Makka Time, 10:48 GMT

India's Bombay Stock Exchange fell by 20 points in recent days

Tools:

Email Article

Print Article

Send Your Feedback

Indian police are watching out for brokers and investors attempting suicide after a market slide wiped out billions of dollars in share values.

Policemen were keeping a watch near lakes and canals on Monday - possible places where people in distress could head to kill themselves. They said rescue teams were on alert.

A police official in the western city of Ahmedabad, R K Patel, said: "A financial crisis can trigger suicides. We are just trying to prevent them. Till now, no such cases have been reported."

India's Bombay Stock Exchange, which had a market value of $657 billion last week after falling 10% in the previous two sessions, slid as much as another 10% in early trade on Monday.

The latest slump came after brokers sold the stocks they were holding as security for their clients.

'We are finished'

S S Gupta, a broker in Mumbai who said he had lost millions of rupees in two hours of trading on Monday morning, said: "Gold has turned into brass. We are finished."

Ahmedabad is considered particularly vulnerable to stock market volatility.

With more than five million retail investors, the city is one of India's main trading hubs where people have put in millions of dollars into shares.

Sanjay Joshi, a small investor, said: "I borrowed money to trade in the market. I lost it all in the past two days.

"I don't know how will I repay my loans."

What is the point of re-locating them to the UK? They want to put them somewhere where people can speak English properly.

One of the poxy corporates I deal with has a call centre in Glasgow where I swear the people go out of their way to be completely incomprehensible. Compared with that I would rather deal with Sanjay than Jock, at least Sanjay makes an effort.

There is a weird thing going on now with young people. They don't move their lower jaw when they speak. I was watching David Beckham on the box the other night. Like looking at a ventriloquist. As a result all the words roll together and there is no enunciation.

I blame the schools, the parents, the government, the police and the IRA.

Edit: Oh, and just to stay on topic - house prices must shoulder much of the responsibility.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5053838.html

Scots telephone voices put the accent on trust

EWAN'S voice is top in sounding trustworthy

SCOTS have always known their accent is one to be trusted.

So it's no surprise to learn people would rather discuss money matters over the phone with an adviser who sounds like actor Ewan McGregor than one like rock icon Ozzy Osbourne.

Scots accents have come way out on top once again with consumers across the whole of the UK.

A survey on behalf of Glasgow's new Wall Street on the Clyde found that accents really do matter when it comes to financial phone calls.

The study found someone with a Scots twang like Ewan or veteran actor Sean Connery is considered more competent too.

More than one in five of those questioned rated the Scots accent top.

Londoners came second with 17% of votes. And the Scots trounced Geordie, Scouse, Mancunian and even Brummie accents like Ozzy's. They all came bottom of the pile by each pooling just one vote in 50.

Even one of Birmingham's famous sons Ozzy Osbourne failed to sway the masses when it came to money issues.

It could be why Glasgow has such a thriving financial services sector with more than 9000 jobs alone moving into the district in the last five years."

20/06/06