House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Powergen Closes Indian Call Centres

What is the point of re-locating them to the UK? They want to put them somewhere where people can speak English properly.

One of the poxy corporates I deal with has a call centre in Glasgow where I swear the people go out of their way to be completely incomprehensible. Compared with that I would rather deal with Sanjay than Jock, at least Sanjay makes an effort.

There is a weird thing going on now with young people. They don't move their lower jaw when they speak. I was watching David Beckham on the box the other night. Like looking at a ventriloquist. As a result all the words roll together and there is no enunciation.

I blame the schools, the parents, the government, the police and the IRA.

Edit: Oh, and just to stay on topic - house prices must shoulder much of the responsibility.

Edited by Marina

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5083838.stm

How many more will follow suit? Too many people saying "pardon? can you repeat that with an English accent please"

isn't good for business.

Good - Hope HSBC follow suit - their internet bankings good but if you actually have to speak to someone it's a nightmare!

I notice they transfer you back to England when you have a balance transfer that'll make them money!

I blame the schools, the parents, the government, the police and the IRA.

Edit: Oh, and just to stay on topic - house prices must shoulder much of the responsibility.

What about the immigrants? Don't forget to blame them too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5083838.stm

How many more will follow suit? Too many people saying "pardon? can you repeat that with an English accent please"

isn't good for business.

I hate to say but I'm forced to agree. It only takes a few bad experiences! Try National Rail Enquries, ask for a train from a station such as my local one "Horsforth" in Leeds (typically pronounced "Horsefth"!)

"ALLSFORD?"

etc etc.

Powergen were recently labelled as the utility with the worst customer servvice/focus so this is just a response to that labelling.

I'm a customer of theirs, I've called them twice in the past 6 weeks & they've actually answered the phone with no silly press this & that & requests to leave a meter reading with their computer.

Guest grumpy-old-man

Thats the thing, the call centre staff over there at least are far more highly educated than their equivalents over here.

I would agree with this statement. I have had loads of cold canvas calls & they are much more polite than UK equivalent IMO.

I just wish they were allowed to use their own names.

How much time & money has been spent relocating blue chip call centres to bring them back again in 5 years.....pure madness.

Why do new management teams deem it necessary to change the previous system entirely ? surely someone, somewhere got it right the first time., oh that's right, to justify their 80k salaries.

mind you (middle/top managers) they do give you a laugh in meetings when you play "Buzzword Bingo" or_whatever_its_called_now :lol:;)

We'll see what happens. Outsourcing is here to stay, get used to the idea and start develop your career in a way that you can adapt. Most of the Indians I work with are pretty good, communication is a bit hard and that's why the bulk of it is left for me to bridge with the customers.

And no, most aren't interested in working in call centres, it's just a foot up for many.

...One of the poxy corporates I deal with has a call centre in Glasgow where I swear the people go out of their way to be completely incomprehensible. Compared with that I would rather deal with Sanjay than Jock, at least Sanjay makes an effort......

You Marina, are a prat. "Sanjay" may not be reading this but "Jock" is.

See that flag in the address bar? It's a British flag. Remember who reads this and show some bloody respect.

If you are so parochial you can't understand a range of UK accents and dialects it is you with the problem, no-one else.

NDL

It's too late for people like me, who have seen my whole department offshored to a bunch of utterly useless Indian IT folks, who are not better or cheaper than the people who were thrown on the scrapheap, to be replaced by Indian visa holders (!). It's been a complete disaster. Apparently 40% of Indian IT outsourcing deals completely fail - I'm surprised it's so low. This is a high-tech business critical support infrastructure which a Big Petrol company has outsourced. How many people are there like me are there out there with similar tales but without an outlet for our grief.

"Better and cheaper" was the Indian outsourcing mantra - it's not better and it's not cheaper. More lies and pc b/s.

http://itvoice.wikispaces.com

I agree. They are not better - cheaper maybe - but NOT better. My company lost out to a fairly contract to "off shore resources". They we're crap. I'm not just talking about the communication side. Their coding abilities was very bad. They would repair a piece code, which inturn creates 3 new problems. We are forever upgrading our hardwares firmware. Plus off shoring might save money now, but the future costs to the British economy is going to be pretty big.

It's too late for people like me, who have seen my whole department offshored to a bunch of utterly useless Indian IT folks, who are not better or cheaper than the people who were thrown on the scrapheap, to be replaced by Indian visa holders (!). It's been a complete disaster. Apparently 40% of Indian IT outsourcing deals completely fail - I'm surprised it's so low. This is a high-tech business critical support infrastructure which a Big Petrol company has outsourced. How many people are there like me are there out there with similar tales but without an outlet for our grief.

"Better and cheaper" was the Indian outsourcing mantra - it's not better and it's not cheaper. More lies and pc b/s.

http://itvoice.wikispaces.com

Pretty accurate description of the state of the off-shoring debacle, the only people that win in these scenarios are the consultants. Of course, these are also the same people to leave once the job is 'complete' (read f**ked up)

Poor lambs. I see the main culprits of this offshoring lark as the UK IT staff, many are overpaid and over rated. Having been at my new employers for over a year now I can see why the directors chose offshoring, not only does it give them a flexible resourcing model but gives them a chance to get rid of the useless c*nts who allowed their systems to fall into such a state of disrepair.

UK IT staff have given their customers a very bad deal, offshoring is the inevitable backlash from the corporates.

Poor lambs. I see the main culprits of this offshoring lark as the UK IT staff, many are overpaid and over rated. Having been at my new employers for over a year now I can see why the directors chose offshoring, not only does it give them a flexible resourcing model but gives them a chance to get rid of the useless c*nts who allowed their systems to fall into such a state of disrepair.

UK IT staff have given their customers a very bad deal, offshoring is the inevitable backlash from the corporates.

I wonder if the debate could possibly rise above the "they'er all sh@t", "no, you're all sh@t" level. There's a mix of skill levels in both countries. If you're seeing poor staff blame the recruitment and retention procedures. There are loads of decent IT people in Britain. There are also many crap ones, many of whom got sucked into IT during the dotcom employment boom.

T&T

Suckered!!!?

:blink:

How do you get suckered into working in an industry? Come on, the world's at your feet in a country like the UK.

Apologies for the other comments BTW. I've seen so much self pity over the last year (despite colleagues been very well compensated), at no point has it seemed to cross anyone minds why the jobs are going overseas. Costs are only part of the reason.

We have got to do better and that's the bottom line.

Guest grumpy-old-man

Suckered!!!?

How do you get suckered into working in an industry? Come on, the world's at your feet in a country like the UK.

Apologies for the other comments BTW. I've seen so much self pity over the last year (despite colleagues been very well compensated), at no point has it seemed to cross anyone minds why the jobs are going overseas. Costs are only part of the reason.

I have to disagree with you on this point. Modern business is now run by the "bean counter"...totally.....

I understand that there has to be financial considerations when looking at business models BUT it's now ALL about the imediate cost. The emphasis is on immediate.....managers no longer stay with companies for 10-20 years, average is about 2 years.

So, these paper degree qualified new super managers (many on here prob ?), under 30 with little or no real life experience (but hold financial degrees/masters), run into their business meetings & decide on a head cull across the various business units.....the same % from each department to keep it fair of course ;) , this then gives them the margins back. The longer term affects for the business are very damaging but who cars because shareholders & greeeedy CEO's & senior management get thier big slice & move on when the company nosedives, then it gets blamed on economic circumstances, global warming etc etc :angry:

Also, outsourcing IMO was also one of the major factors in wasting money, I think it's turning around now & people are hiring internally again. "consultants" often have no idea what or how the business actually runs, they just have some pie charts & graphs with model solutions.....

I work in IT for example, I have yet to come across a medium/large company that has a "good" setup, with the right technical people & managers who can manage properly......(generally speaking of course, I have come across a few good people in my time in this industry, just not many)

Dsyfunctional conflict is alive & kicking throughout UK plc today I'm afraid.......

You Marina, are a prat. "Sanjay" may not be reading this but "Jock" is.

See that flag in the address bar? It's a British flag. Remember who reads this and show some bloody respect.

If you are so parochial you can't understand a range of UK accents and dialects it is you with the problem, no-one else.

NDL

Listen pal, you bloody lot hate us so much you supprt ANYONE we're playing football against and can't wait to see us fail.

And what flag in the address bar? Not everyone uses Firefox you know. I don't use it because of that Union flag.

People with a strong regional accent who deal with people from all over the country need to learn to moderate their accent (and their regional colloquialisms) to make an effort to deal with people. I spoke to a girl Jock in the call centre I referred to a while ago (there was a huge amount of background noise as they obviously have hundreds of people working in an open plan environment) and I ended up saying 'look, I'm very sorry but I really cannot understand what you are saying - can you put me through to someone else'. Her response was to get all huffy and talk to me in a much louder voice - still cudnae understand a wurrd she said.

It's not my fault I can't understand what she was saying.

And I have a bit of experience here. My background is largely Irish. My natural accent is to speak with the brogue. When I see the older members of my family, I fall back into the brogue in such a way that my wife cannot understand what we are talking about. But, I can moderate it anytime I want and speak in a much more 'anglicised' way - so that people without the benefit of an Irish heritage can understand me.

I don't give respect to people who don't make any effort to earn it. I think people work in these poxy call centres, hate their jobs and do everything they can to make it hard for people to deal with them. That's my experience anyway.

I spent 20 years working in London in the building game. On one job we had a Scottish Architect and a Scottish Foreman Bricklayer - both from Glasgow. If I went over the pub at lunchtime with one of them, we would have a perfectly normal conversation. If the two of them got together, no-one else could understand a word they said. They could drop in and out of the 'heavy regional accent' any time they liked - and so could the people in call centres if they wanted to. But they don't. They hate the English, hate their jobs and make a point of being as incomprehensible as possible.

That's my experience anyway.

No I agree with Marina - its not 'Jock' though. - its just glaswegians

some how they have developed their own language that no-one else understands...i was bornin paisley but luckily escaped before being afflicted with said disease...

no-one understands a broad speaking glaswegian - just nod and agree !

But then again no-one understands an indian either!!

Suckered!!!?

Not suckered, sucked. During the boom times things worked like this:

• Directors put together business plan making £X million of revenue from dotcom piece of software over next 24 months

• Techy's or managers say it's take 12 months min with Y resources. Work has to begin immediately.

• Techy's get told to employ Y people within 4 weeks.

• Techy's do Y * 5 interviews. Y / 3 people are suitable.

• Managers say, take the best Y.

• 2Y/3 people who don't have the skills or intelligence are "sucked into the industry".

• 18 months later software isn't ready, business plan fails and Y/2 people are made redundant.

• Those who aren't skilled go back to stacking shelves... until the next boom.

T&T

Could it not be simply the case that the Labour Party have decimated the education system in the UK in less than 8 years, and the Indians have invested in education, and in fact have received large lump sums from the UK Government in development aid, and education?.

Given that the Labour Party have created and promoted Offshoring, it makes you wonder what side they are batting for!!!!!.

And more to the point, what t0ssers voted them to represent them in the general election.