House Price Crash Forum

My council tax is now so high that it resemble a mortgage. Not content with these astronomical charges, our local authority are now chiseling away the services. The latest wheeze is to reduce bin collection (for non-recyclable waste) to once every two weeks. Their declared reasons are:

- to provide an efficient and reliable service through the introduction of a new fleet of refuse vehicles

- to introduce a glass collection service for everyone

- to increase the amount of waste we recycle

- to simplify the collection system

Its just another angle on stealth tax and a very smelly one at that.

I have often thought that councils should do this. It is a great idea. All councils should do it.

I always put out a large bin with a small amount of rubbish in every week, where as my smaller recycling bin is overflowing after 2 weeks when they collect it. We are (or at least I am) recycling far more than we have ever done before and collecting a small ammount of household waste every week is just a waste of time and money.

We are (or at least I am) recycling far more than we have ever done before and collecting a small ammount of household waste every week is just a waste of time and money.

No, you really aren't. You may be putting your waste in the 'recycle' bin, but in reality most of that still ends up in landfill.

To deviate slightly, does anyone know how long you have to avoid paying council tax before they send the serious heavies in? Two months? Three months? It's not something I'm contemplating, just curious.

The Trick is to take the excess and park it outside their offices when they are closed with a message asking if the would be kind enough to get the dustbin men round to clear it up, as its stinking out your garden.

Several other people I know did this, and guess what, we now have our rubbish removed weekly.

To deviate slightly, does anyone know how long you have to avoid paying council tax before they send the serious heavies in? Two months? Three months? It's not something I'm contemplating, just curious.

I'd guess six months. If they can find you.

I know people that just move every six months and don't give them any details.

It would also depend on how efficient your local council is, and whether the

landlord gives them your details.

My council tax is now so high that it resemble a mortgage. Not content with these astronomical charges, our local authority are now chiseling away the services. The latest wheeze is to reduce bin collection (for non-recyclable waste) to once every two weeks. Their declared reasons are:

- to provide an efficient and reliable service through the introduction of a new fleet of refuse vehicles

- to introduce a glass collection service for everyone

- to increase the amount of waste we recycle

- to simplify the collection system

Its just another angle on stealth tax and a very smelly one at that.

Dog, stop complaining. You don't need your rubbish taken away every week - that is a mere trivial service.

What we need is more diversity co-ordinators and outreach workers to help everyone understand and appreciate why our rubbish is collected and why their are differences in rubbish collection and recycling between class, gender and race.

The idea that you need to dispose of rubbish on a weekly basis is a social construct that does not necessarily relate to reality. Your increased council tax will enable local support officers to help people evaluate what the think 'rubbish' is and to explore how they see 'rubbish' as an integral part of their lives.

We also need to more advice workers so that people understand what the different colour bins mean and what counts as 'rubbish'

In addition we also need to employ more public health workers and social workers so that people understand that if they contract a disease from uncollected 'rubbish' that they have not actually 'contracted a disease' but instead have allowed themselves to become a 'victim' of illness ( a social construct in itself).

Counselling services should be provided to help people come to terms with what 'illness' actually is and how it can be incorporated into our lives.

I think we should pay more council tax so that we can also provide education programmes that teach children how to transform old lollypop sticks and empty crisp packets into 'modern' works of art that could adorn public spaces.

Blimey! once every 2 weeks, the smells of those food wastes must be awesome in this hot weather.

Get yourself a compost bin/wormery for all the food waste - ok I know you cant compost everything and they are no good for alot of flats but they would help.

I'd guess six months. If they can find you.

I know people that just move every six months and don't give them any details.

It would also depend on how efficient your local council is, and whether the

landlord gives them your details.

Wow. Moving every six months sounds too much like hard work. I think I'd rather pay the tax.

Register as a student its free!!!.

Another good scam with the Council is to write them lots of letters, they take 8wks to reply to each one as they have to get outside contractors to check it over for Grammer and Spell check, then it has to go to fifty departments who all work flexitime, before a reply can be constructed from the Chief Executive Delegate of the Word Processing System.

They are pretty ruthless in Bedfordshire; one can expect a County Court summons when two months in arrears.

They are pretty ruthless in Bedfordshire; one can expect a County Court summons when two months in arrears.

That is ruthless. You'd think they'd be a bit more laid back in the country.

Just post the name of the prison if your local KGB catch up you. I will keep you supplied with food parcels. It seems the least I can do.

Dog, stop complaining. You don't need your rubbish taken away every week - that is a mere trivial service.

What we need is more diversity co-ordinators and outreach workers to help everyone understand and appreciate why our rubbish is collected and why their are differences in rubbish collection and recycling between class, gender and race.

The idea that you need to dispose of rubbish on a weekly basis is a social construct that does not necessarily relate to reality. Your increased council tax will enable local support officers to help people evaluate what the think 'rubbish' is and to explore how they see 'rubbish' as an integral part of their lives.

We also need to more advice workers so that people understand what the different colour bins mean and what counts as 'rubbish'

In addition we also need to employ more public health workers and social workers so that people understand that if they contract a disease from uncollected 'rubbish' that they have not actually 'contracted a disease' but instead have allowed themselves to become a 'victim' of illness ( a social construct in itself).

Counselling services should be provided to help people come to terms with what 'illness' actually is and how it can be incorporated into our lives.

Very cynical but very true.

2 months, :)

Wokingham council its about 2 days in arrears before a demand letter is sent requesting payment in 7 days.

Naturally they send the letters 2nd class so by the time they bundle, post and its delivered you'll have about 1 day to finalise payment before they start proceedings. :angry:

You havent heard the latest...

Now also we are having to pay for our garbage to be collected.

Everyones garbage will be weighed and they will be billed appropriately....hapopens in places like ireland..

Ill just go and dump all mine somewhere else - plenty of countryside to ruin that they keep telling me isnt there to build houses on.

(SO what does council tax actually pay for anymore other than other peoples benefits and asylum seekers??)

Blimey! once every 2 weeks, the smells of those food wastes must be awesome in this hot weather.

the post actually said non-recyclable waste so because food is recyclable the bins shouldn't smell.

It annoys me how people don't want to take any responsibility for their household waste. Recycling is very simple and does work. Bristol city council definately don't send the recycled items to landfill because they are being charged by the government for exceeding their limits for landfill.

In fact, BCC are introducing a food recycling bin which i happen to think is a brilliant idea. The only flaw in the paln is charging for a green bin which is for garden waste-bad idea as people may well nick others green bins!

The UK is so far behind other countries with regard to recycling, and we need to sort it out as there won't be enough room to keep sending our crud to landfill.

My council tax is now so high that it resemble a mortgage. Not content with these astronomical charges, our local authority are now chiseling away the services. The latest wheeze is to reduce bin collection (for non-recyclable waste) to once every two weeks.

I spend a fair bit of time in France and in this part of Normandy we get a DAILY collection (pas Dimanche mes amis) and garden waste and recycleables once a week.

The pavements however are caked in dog-merde but hey!!...

the post actually said non-recyclable waste so because food is recyclable the bins shouldn't smell.

It annoys me how people don't want to take any responsibility for their household waste. Recycling is very simple and does work. Bristol city council definately don't send the recycled items to landfill because they are being charged by the government for exceeding their limits for landfill.

In fact, BCC are introducing a food recycling bin which i happen to think is a brilliant idea. The only flaw in the paln is charging for a green bin which is for garden waste-bad idea as people may well nick others green bins!

The UK is so far behind other countries with regard to recycling, and we need to sort it out as there won't be enough room to keep sending our crud to landfill.

The local council classifies food as non-recyclable. The recyclable list includes aluminium, plastic bottles, paper, tins and cans, cardboard. Most people are happy to cooperate with recycling progammes and that has nothing to do with. The issue here relates to the regularity of bin collection. Local council employees have given themselves such massive salaries and created so many pointless jobs that they are having to cut back on essential services. Whilst our local council employees jet off for their holidays on tropical islands, they will leave us behind to catch tropical desieses from our bins.

Guest Bart of Darkness

In the old days (cue sepia hued image of a chirpy urchin riding a bike over cobbled streets) we had bins without wheels.

What used to happen around here is that a group of binmen would walk ahead of the bin wagon and move all the bins onto the pavement ready for emptying.

The wagon would come along and the binmen riding on that would empty the bins.

Other binmen would then come along behind the wagon and put the bins back where they belonged.

Now, not only does the council tax payer have to do stages 1 & 3 themselves* (without any decrease in their council tax), but it seems that doing this once a week is now getting to be too much for the service to cope with.

*Not me though, as I live in a flat.

The council where my dad lives (in Nottinghamshire) reduced their bin collections to fortnightly a year or two ago. Guess what - people still stick bin bags full of rubish out in the street every week, just no one collects it. After a week or two the bin bags burst all over, and eventually the council send some roadsweepers round to clear it up.

The more public spirited put their bin bags in their car and drive it to the council tip, where it goes into landfill just as it would if the bin lorry had collected it. The difference is, instead of one lorry going round collecting everyones refuse, now the road to the council tip is always queued up with lines of cars sat with their engines running waiting to get into the tip - how's this helping the environment exactly?

It made me chuckle recently when MS Money warned that I'd "Exceeded my monthly budget for Council Tax". I must ring the council and tell them to reduce it.....

Edited by Neil D Possitt

the council where i live use this new 2 week delivery. and the other week they collect 'recycling' - which most goes to landfill.

the whole thing is a PR exercise. i moved in and so had one or two cardboard boxes from new things id bought. on collection day i left them on top of my full wheelie bin. they took the bin but placed the cardboard on the floor. - so i just left it to rot. it didnt have my address on it.

in the end it just blew all over and ended up rotting in the landscaping.

but dont blame me. i put it in the bin. it was the council that dumped it.

Indeed, the whole 'garbage collection' thing is just another government scam: we pay more and more and get less and less.

As for 'recycling', that's only useful if people actually want to use the things that are 'recycled': last I heard most of it was dumped because there was no market for it. I mean, let's face it, if there really _was_ a big market for recycling, companies would pay us to collect our rubbish.

Councils have just become a way for idiot lefties to push their idiot social engineering scams while lining their own pockets by stealing from ours. It's well past time almost everything they do was privatised, or at least people were given a choice of opting out.

I suppose its pointless wasting money on bin collections, and other council services when the money can be better spent topping up public service workers pensions?.