House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Homes Under The Hammer..

Presenter looks at two run down shops and flats above...

"a goldmine, the shops alone could be rented out for £12,000 each a year.."

(never questions why they are empty now?? not once...)

Later the expert is told by local experts that they may get £7,500 between them...

cool...

Rosy "Property is god" programme

Little wonder, Hastings being the foulest blight on the south coast. Except Peacehaven. And Newhaven.

Hastings generates a large shadow. I remember a DIY show where a couple did a really great job on an old farm, but then when they went to sell they couldn't get anywhere near break even. The reason: the house was 10miles from Hastings.

On Homes Under the Hammer last night (Wednesday) a 20 year-old had acquired her third property for the btl market. Her parents had helped her with her first two properties and this was her first on her own.

Would you like your landlord to be a near teenager?

Hastings used to be druggie central, perhaps still is. Last stop before the grave on the sth coast trail after starting in Brighton, then Eastbourne, then Hastings.

As I mentioned in previous post, I reckon these auction progs have more horror stories happening.

House Auction on C4 yesterday had a horror story of a couple near repo on 2 house that builders had ripped them off for several 10s' of £000's.

(2nd house was for daughter not investment so much).

It cost plenty to put it right with another firm, but they ran out of money to finish. Went to forced auction with 2 lots, 1st did not reach reserve, so he pulled 2nd lot.

Quite sad & seemed genuine as they were murdered cash wise by the evil cowboy builders & living in a caravan for 2 yrs as house were unfit. It devasted their whole family :( .

Hastings generates a large shadow. I remember a DIY show where a couple did a really great job on an old farm, but then when they went to sell they couldn't get anywhere near break even. The reason: the house was 10miles from Hastings.

I lived in Hastings for a few years as a kid, my word what a toilet

Disturbingly, there was a very high proportion of drug addicts, paedophiles and general deviants down there back then... I visited a few months ago was not suprised at all to see that the place hadn't changed much (apart from that flash shopping centre they built on the old cricket ground)

As if that isnt enough, Stamco has to be the worst surf break on the planet.. small, cold, polluted and surfed by local inbreds with nose rings and facial tattoos

My word what a toilet...

Guest Cletus VanDamme

Disturbingly, there was a very high proportion of drug addicts, paedophiles and general deviants down there back then... I visited a few months ago was not suprised at all to see that the place hadn't changed much (apart from that flash shopping centre they built on the old cricket ground)

As if that isnt enough, Stamco has to be the worst surf break on the planet.. small, cold, polluted and surfed by local inbreds with nose rings and facial tattoos

My word what a toilet...

Hastings was being marketed as the 'next Brighton' a few years ago. Didn't Tracy Emin move there? What happened?

My word what a toilet...

Did they build a Lidl's supermarket on the cricket-ground by any chance?

You're right about it being a toilet. Best thing to do in Hastings is have a crap (anywhere is socially acceptable) and leave (if you can).

I'm a lifelong resident of the armpit of the South-East and would agree the borough generally is depressive . It's suffered from long-term under investment from the government (transport routes solely leave us as an end of the line town) and the local council seems unable to agree what direction any re-generation should take . This is generally brought on by one third of the locals wanting it to remain as a 'seaside resort with donkey rides' *sound of butter knife across wrists* , one third wanting industry and the other third are comatose .

Hastings has however got one funk of a high standard and quantity of skaters and riders and entertains one of the largest 'Backyard' Jams in the country which the local council completely fails to get behind (even local campsites close their doors to groups of male/female trippers at this time)

Hastings is crap because of its council and the government .

Regarding the house market , there are a large quatity of house builders and developers who look for the quick buck in buying up large private housing (usually in St.Leonards,not Hastings), renovate them badly/cheaply , turn them into flats and then rent them out to DSS occupants for guaranteed income . There are four whole street/roads in Hastings that were sold to Lambeth Council to house their unwanteds .

Would love to see these developers catch a cold !

By the way , who the FUNK is Tracey Emin ????????

You know, the uber-ugly artist who became famous because she got pissed on some chat show and mouthed off a bit, then produced a series of toss masquerading as 'art'. And got really rich.

I'm a lifelong resident of the armpit of the South-East and would agree the borough generally is depressive . It's suffered from long-term under investment from the government (transport routes solely leave us as an end of the line town) and the local council seems unable to agree what direction any re-generation should take . This is generally brought on by one third of the locals wanting it to remain as a 'seaside resort with donkey rides' *sound of butter knife across wrists* , one third wanting industry and the other third are comatose .

Hastings has however got one funk of a high standard and quantity of skaters and riders and entertains one of the largest 'Backyard' Jams in the country which the local council completely fails to get behind (even local campsites close their doors to groups of male/female trippers at this time)

Hastings is crap because of its council and the government .

Regarding the house market , there are a large quatity of house builders and developers who look for the quick buck in buying up large private housing (usually in St.Leonards,not Hastings), renovate them badly/cheaply , turn them into flats and then rent them out to DSS occupants for guaranteed income . There are four whole street/roads in Hastings that were sold to Lambeth Council to house their unwanteds .

Would love to see these developers catch a cold !

By the way , who the FUNK is Tracey Emin ????????

I had sort of shut Hastings out, denied it ever happened, now this thread is bringing it all back very vividly...so here some random thoughts...

I do concede that PARTS of Hastings have a f*cked-up sort of charm... the old town, the pier and bits of St Leonards, but generally it's a dank, evil and miserable place. Lots of crappy bed and breakfasts, lots of mentally ill people shunted around by the state and eventually finding themselves in the Yelton Hotel or a bedsit on Queens street. It definetly always has been the 'end-of-the-line' type of place, not big or dynamic enough to be Brighton, not small or rustic enough to be Rye, and always attracted a lot of benefits scroungers and junkies as it's cheaper to live down there on a fixed income than it is in London.

The road to London/M25 is ancient and badly needs upgrading to a four-lane motorway... I think this would do wonders for the town. They were going on about improving the road back in the 80's when I was there, but still nothing.

Violence was a real problem when I was living there, especially among the young. My comprehensive school in urban London was like a kindergarten compared to the gladiator academies that masqueraded as schools in Hastings. Lots of bad fights, kids getting stabbed by each other all the time. I remember as well the teachers having to go round and collect all the used syringes from the playground before they let us through the gates in the morning.

And let's not forget those adrenalin-fuelled days spent getting chased through bottle alley by famed local peadophiles Robert Deeprose and Barry the Bender. Oh what a joy those times were. How Robert Deeprose could strike fear into the heart of every child ! And f*ck me could he run like the wind - even in those dodgy cowboy boots ! You better run, boy run ! Strange thing was, these people would offend and reoffend, the police knew where they lived and yet they were still allowed to roam free.

Hastings is as close to hell on earth as you can get - anyone who feels hard done by by life should spend a few months there. You will be dying - literally- to get out.

Last stop before the grave on the sth coast trail after starting in Brighton, then Eastbourne, then Hastings.

Even Aleister Crowley went to Hastings to die... guess he figured he'd look forward to Hell after a few years in Hastings.

Even Aleister Crowley went to Hastings to die... guess he figured he'd look forward to Hell after a few years in Hastings.

Ha !

Excellent !

I'd forgotten all about Big Al, and that derelict old house on West Hill that was supposed to have been his !

Maybe Tracy Emin took the place over !

I'm a lifelong resident of the armpit of the South-East

I would have called it the Assh(0)le of east sussex myself, other than that, i can only fully aggree with what you've said.

and to think of the speed that property prices increased by in Hastings a few years back only makes me think that prices around here will sprial down quicker than in most in the South East, save maybe than Margate, another "on par" seaside town like Hastings.

Jeez , had forgotten about that 'thing' Robert Deeprose.

I remember playing football during PE on the Hillcrest playing fields and stoning the 'thing' . On reflection I cant believe they gave him a council house within stone throwing distance from the school

On second reflection , knowing Hastings Council , I can .

Mention of Hastings seems to have stirred up some good posts.

I was born on the south coast, living 18 years between Portsmouth & Chichester, then spending another 7 in Brighton, so I know the areas well.

IMO, Hastings suffers from what I call 'south coast syndrome' like a lot of other similar towns, particularly like Littlehampton, Bognor, Havant, towns around Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth & the City itself.

The syndrome afflicts many with a narrow minded, destructive and violent outlook. I wish I knew the cure (apart from a tsunami or moving away) as the focus is so often on the negative. It seems to be more than the consequences /mind set of poverty or under investment. Perhaps the richer baby boomers who move to the coast to retire /die breed resentment & are part of the problem.

The Crap Towns review of Hastings is similar to many south coast towns IMO.

http://idler.co.uk/crap/?page_id=82

"Hastings is a town that the rest of the South of England forgot. No roads go there (look at a road atlas). Walking along the seafront is like walking into a very bad version of the 1960s- but with less money about. Fashion and style left the town in 1959, and the finest public buildings are two public lavs - one on the seafront, one in the town centre.

The main tourist attraction is the castle - there’s a delightful path leading from here to the seafront, where tourists can often make out spotty teenagers humping each other, or admire the fine collections of horse needles, left by the thoughtful junkies.

In the summer, it’s just about bearable - the thousands of language students that spend 2 weeks wondering why their parents have sent them to live in a hovel in a dive town with nothing to do really brightens up the place. In winter it’s bleak, bleak, bleak - driving rain, sea winds and people smoking fags around Iceland (the closest Hastings gets to a deli).

The really sad thing about it is that everything around it is so fine - beautiful countryside, country villages, and a town that time forgot. . . .

Ian Tester

IAN TESTER DEFENDED!

Geoff Bird writes:

I’ve been to Hastings and it is exactly as the writer suggested.

Fabulous place, chance to see young people having sex, free second-hand needles, everything a chap could wish for; including a super Iceland store with interesting “Teenager” Garden Gnomes outside with real smoke effect.

Pity he missed out the joyriders doing donuts in the car park.

HASTINGS DEFENDED!

James NcNally writes:

Shut up.

Hastings is great.

Much of what Tester and Bird say is true, or, rather, much of what Tester says and Bird parrots back from Tester is true, but they’re looking at it all the wrong way round.

Hastings has managed to attract the lion’s share of the rest of the country’s unemployed, of its care in the community patients, mainline drug abusers, murderers, crack addicts and paedophiles, so it must have something going for it. Why else would they all want to go there?

When in Hastings you have an almost boundless choice of amusement arcades in which to waste all your money and then be stabbed. There are countless towny nightclubs to choose from when you fancy accidentally looking at someone else’s bird and getting bottled to a soundtrack of Colour Me Badd. Then you can choose from at least two, yes two, late night kebab restaurants in which to be bludgeoned with chairs by off duty bouncers.

What else can Hastings do for you? It can provide you with your choice of teenage girlfriends who smell of deep fat frying to impregnate over and over (and over) again, with ‘crap job’ job opportunities, with more indoor markets than you can shake a stolen clock radio at, and a plethora of venues for adolescent drug abuse. In summary, Hastings is an oasis of violence, and criminal activity. I defy you to find a more character building town in which to grow up.

Oh, and your observation about the joyriders doing handbrake turns in the car park was a truly valuable one Mr Bird, but in my experience those cars will actually be theirs. Hastings is just the kind of town where people actually do save up their ill gotten gains to buy lime green XR2s. Unbelievable, I know "

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

The road to London/M25 is ancient and badly needs upgrading to a four-lane motorway... I think this would do wonders for the town. They were going on about improving the road back in the 80's when I was there, but still nothing.

If what people have written here is true, why on earth would you want to upgrade the road?