House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

New Car Sales Up In May

I was just searching google news for some car info and was VERY surprised to see reports that UK new car sales were up in May. Of course, the rest of the year so far may well have been dire - has it been - but obviously some people out there are still buying new cars.

I still can't believe how much new cars cost. It used to be that 15K got you a very good top of the range car but these days that figure is nearer, if not over, 20K.

Guest Guy_Montag

I was just searching google news for some car info and was VERY surprised to see reports that UK new car sales were up in May. Of course, the rest of the year so far may well have been dire - has it been - but obviously some people out there are still buying new cars.

I still can't believe how much new cars cost. It used to be that 15K got you a very good top of the range car but these days that figure is nearer, if not over, 20K.

I cycle past a Landrover garage on my way to work, the most expensive vehicle in the showroom is £55k. What the f'k do you get for £55k. For that I would want one with oriental twins to give me head on long journeys.

they plateaued... low...

still very low.... just diddy bit higher

Girlfriends parents just bought a brand new 06 plate Ford Focus 1.9TDCI for ~£10K

I thought that was a bargain!!

How on earth did they do that - a pre-registered one I assume?

Girlfriends parents just bought a brand new 06 plate Ford Focus 1.9TDCI for ~£10K

I thought that was a bargain!!

How on earth did they do that - a pre-registered one I assume?

I have a theory. I noticed there were very few 55 plate cars about. Last year the housing market round here was stagnant.

When 06 came in I noticed that I hadn't seen an 06 car even weeks after the 06 reg started.

In January round here the housing market went into overdrive. A lot of big houses that had been stuck on the market all through 2005 suddenly sold. There has been a lot of activity as evidenced by the number of mortgage approvals and the first quarter's LR figures.

Over the last couple of months there are 06 cars everywhere. I reckon people who finally moved in the first 3 to 4 months of the year have topped the mortgage up to include a new motor.

So 7k on estate agent's fees, 12k on stamp duty, say another 12k to add to the trade-in to get the new car - mortgage on the new house is probably north of 30k bigger than it would be if all you borrowed was the difference between two property prices.

But who cares eh? With a two year fix at 5.5% even a 250k mortgage is buttons to a lot of people.

Its the same in the States: heavy discounting as manufacturers liquidate to avoid being caught with inventory in a recessionary cycle. Bargains galore--I had a letter from my Audi dealer awhile back offering any new Audi at dealer cost (except the A4 RS4 with the 421bhp V8, Quattro, 19 inch tyres and with enough poke to keep up with a supercar and utterly devoid of bling).

Its the same in the States: heavy discounting as manufacturers liquidate to avoid being caught with inventory in a recessionary cycle. Bargains galore--I had a letter from my Audi dealer awhile back offering any new Audi at dealer cost

Don't be fooled - Any dealer can sell you a car at "Cost". I know - I'm a dealer!

Most cars come with about 12 to 15% margin in them, this is expressed in 2 ways, between 5 & 10% up front and the rest paid by the manufacturer later mostly based on dealerships hitting standards. I could quite easily show you an invoice that we pay the manufacturer, sell you the car at this price and be quite pleased about how much we made. Unless the car is a new model or heavily in demand you should pay less than this.

The cost price deal is an old "Pendle" closing technique. (Pendle was a famous sales bloke who made a fortune selling his training methods back to the industry in the 80's when hard selling was fashionable)

BUY JAGUARS - THEY'RE GREAT!!!

This advert was brought to you by me and helps pay my commission

so I can spend all day reading this website rather than working.

Edited by spuggy

So spuggy, how much discount should you haggle for when buying a new or nearly new car? I mean, what is the most you can get away with? Is a dealer likely to give a better deal at the end of the month in order to meet sales figures and hence get their 'bonuses' from the manufacturers?

I've not seen many new cars about recently, not many 06 plates.

I have seen loads of adverts on this site though.

Maybe if they show enough adverts on this site they can cause car sales to rise??

We should be told!

I've not seen many new cars about recently, not many 06 plates.

I have seen loads of adverts on this site though.

Maybe if they show enough adverts on this site they can cause car sales to rise??

We should be told!

Where are the ads on this site? My ad blocker must be great. Does anything appear in the right column next to the posts? My computer just shows it as about 2 inches of blank space.

So spuggy, how much discount should you haggle for when buying a new or nearly new car? I mean, what is the most you can get away with? Is a dealer likely to give a better deal at the end of the month in order to meet sales figures and hence get their 'bonuses' from the manufacturers?

It depends on what you're buying. If you're after a new Audi TT you're not going to get a penny off, but something more middle of the road, then towards the end of the month is always a good time, but not on the last day - they will want a few days to register it. looking on the car buying websites - buyacar, drivethedeal autobytel broadspeed etc will give you the best idea of price, and these guys have to make a profit too, so you might get away with another percent or two, - print em off and take them with you, but things like what car guide price are normally well off the pace.

See if you can speak to the Fleet sales guy when you walk in - he will be used to dealing in large pre arranged discounts and will be happy to steal a deal of his retail colleagues.

Manufacturers offers are usually completely seperate to any dealers offers, so if theres a national campaign like interest free credit or £1000 cashback, this should be on top of the dealer offer. Never buy on the day - dealer offers will not usually expire.

Pre registered cars are usually a good idea - example: the maufacturer offers the dealer an extra say £500 per car to register 100 cars in april, the dealer only sells 60 in april, so registers the other 40 in their name, claims the £500 on each of the 60 cars they sold and want to unload the rest quickly - there is usually still a bit of profit in the prices these are advertised for so keep haggling.

And always sell your part ex privately, and arrange the finance yourself, or at least try and get 3 - 3.5% flat rate.

It depends on what you're buying. If you're after a new Audi TT you're not going to get a penny off, but something more middle of the road, then towards the end of the month is always a good time, but not on the last day - they will want a few days to register it. looking on the car buying websites - buyacar, drivethedeal autobytel broadspeed etc will give you the best idea of price, and these guys have to make a profit too, so you might get away with another percent or two, - print em off and take them with you, but things like what car guide price are normally well off the pace.

See if you can speak to the Fleet sales guy when you walk in - he will be used to dealing in large pre arranged discounts and will be happy to steal a deal of his retail colleagues.

Manufacturers offers are usually completely seperate to any dealers offers, so if theres a national campaign like interest free credit or £1000 cashback, this should be on top of the dealer offer. Never buy on the day - dealer offers will not usually expire.

Pre registered cars are usually a good idea - example: the maufacturer offers the dealer an extra say £500 per car to register 100 cars in april, the dealer only sells 60 in april, so registers the other 40 in their name, claims the £500 on each of the 60 cars they sold and want to unload the rest quickly - there is usually still a bit of profit in the prices these are advertised for so keep haggling.

And always sell your part ex privately, and arrange the finance yourself, or at least try and get 3 - 3.5% flat rate.

Great info, spuggy, thanks for posting. I particularly like the tip about talking the to fleet sales guy. I'm going to buy a new car tomorrow and will put all of this into action.

I cycle past a Landrover garage on my way to work, the most expensive vehicle in the showroom is £55k. What the f'k do you get for £55k. For that I would want one with oriental twins to give me head on long journeys.

That is extra.

The reality is that the economy is doing very nicely at the moment - seems to be expanding quite fast and creating lots more wealth. Inflation is under control and we are sucking in as many immigrants as we need to keep wages under control.

The picture is looking good for the BoE and Gordon Brown, whether you like it or not.

That is your unfortunate reality if you are bearish.

HPC and IR rise ? - not a snowballs chance in hell of either !

The reality is that the economy is doing very nicely at the moment - seems to be expanding quite fast and creating lots more wealth. Inflation is under control and we are sucking in as many immigrants as we need to keep wages under control.

The picture is looking good for the BoE and Gordon Brown, whether you like it or not.

It would be good for the Uk were it so. But, sadly, both higher unemployment and higher IR are on the way:

http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/14-06-2006/...interest-rates/

Unemployment and inflation haunt interest rates

June 14, 2006

Categories: Economy, Business, Employment —
Warnings that UK interest rates would likely rise later in the year increased, after figures revealed a surge in both unemployment and inflation figures.
Unemployment increased to 5.3% for April. Ironically, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) also showed an increase in the number of people employed.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birmin...-name_page.html

Unemployment figures reach their highest level since 2002

Jun 15 2006

By John Duckers, Business Editor

The number of people out of work increased by more than 70,000 in the latest three months to reach the highest level since September 2002.
National Statistics said the unemployment rate was 5.3 per cent in the quarter to April - it was just 4.7 per cent a year ago - bringing the number of people out of work to 1.61 million. This is a rise of 77,000 in the period and 199,000 over the year, the NS said.
Manufacturing continues to be badly hit with
116,000 more jobs lost
compared to a year ago, bringing the total number of jobs in the sector to 3.05 million. This is the lowest level since records began in 1978

http://today.reuters.co.uk/investing/finan...RLING-CLOSE.XML

Sterling firms as strong data fans rate hike talk

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:26 PM BST

LONDON, June 14 (Reuters) - Sterling hit a one-week high against the dollar and rose versus the euro on Wednesday, as a run of strong
inflation data this week revived talk of a possible hike in British interest rates

Despite the news you may be right and house prices may be in a new paradigm where they only go up despite buyers being unable to afford them. <_<

Edited by Realistbear

Well as this thread is about Car sales, the car industry as a whole is having a slowdown this year, with most dealers being 5 - 10% down on last year, in both units and total profit. There are winners and losers in this, but that seems to be purely down to product.

If the economy is expanding rapidly as you say, surely this raises the case for the IR rises you say won't happen?

Being at the top end of the car market, most people I sell to are businessmen / Managing Directors, and whilst they are having a decent time, the ones I have talked to are seeing stormclouds on the horizon for the Economy.

It is a good observation, Masked Tulip.

I was recently watching a few BMWs in the ebay. Many of these were reachng reserve price even. Some cars being sold were 2000 or more pounds less than recommended by the Parkers guide. As we know, luxury cars are one of the first ones to stop moving in a slowing economy. Does it indicate the things to come, I wonder.

Edited by Doubtful

It is a good observation, Masked Tulip.

I was recently watching a few BMWs in the ebay. Many of these were reachng reserve price even. Some cars being sold were 2000 or more pounds less than recommended by the Parkers guide. As we know, luxury cars are one of the first ones to stop moving in a slowing economy. Does it indicate the things to come, I wonder.

Parkers is drivel - it's just a good way to identify private punters at an auction.

Luxury cars depreciate like bricks any time - and with the more wires and gizmos they depreciate even faster, would you want to be landed with a BMW 7 series with wonky series 1 Idrive at 5 years old with seats stuck on hot, radio tuned to Bangra and the aircon blasting out max heat......

They don't move well in any economy - new ones do (but they are almost all lease purchases/hires) - try selling a used Jag XJ for anything approaching any sort of book price..... at any time. Same with the 7, the A8 (petrol), most 5 series, E class or whatever.

Parkers is drivel - it's just a good way to identify private punters at an auction.

Luxury cars depreciate like bricks any time - and with the more wires and gizmos they depreciate even faster, would you want to be landed with a BMW 7 series with wonky series 1 Idrive at 5 years old with seats stuck on hot, radio tuned to Bangra and the aircon blasting out max heat......

They don't move well in any economy - new ones do (but they are almost all lease purchases/hires) - try selling a used Jag XJ for anything approaching any sort of book price..... at any time. Same with the 7, the A8 (petrol), most 5 series, E class or whatever.

Which is why the sector is all but dead and every private customer is now buying premium 4x4's and sportscars instead. Even the 911 doesn't hold its money like it used to.

Mind you, We still have plenty of customers who come in any buy a new 60k XJ (losing 25k) every year in the same colour, and same private numberplate, so their employees don't realise they've got a new car!

There's still a lot of old money round here - none of your MEWing porsche nonsense!