House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Record Building Works In Wandsworth

From a regular council email I get:

Building activity hits new high

Planning applications from local householders and developers soared by a third last year to the highest levels ever recorded in Wandsworth.

The council’s planning officers handled 4,350 applications in the twelve months to March 2006 compared with 3,275 in the previous year.

In the same period more than 1,400 new homes were completed with a further 2,000 under construction.

The combined value of the new building work which started during the year was estimated at £447m million.

Despite the unprecedented increase in activity more applications were turned round in the target eight-week period – 85 per cent compared to 84 per cent last year.

Planning officers also beat their previous record for processing major applications with 77 per cent dealt with in the 13-week timescale set by the Government – up from 51 per cent in 2004/2005.

Executive member for planning and transportation Guy Senior said:

“With building activity on this scale the popularity of the borough as a place to live shows no sign of letting up.

“Existing residents want to improve their properties and remain living locally while developers are constantly seeking out land where they can build new homes for people keen to move to the borough.

“The upsurge in applications is especially demanding for our planning and building control teams. The performance of staff in rising to this challenge and delivering a high quality service is nothing short of exceptional.”

The annual report on planning activity in the borough will be considered by the planning and transportation overview and scrutiny committee at its meeting on June 14.

Ends

From a regular council email I get:

Building activity hits new high

When you say "building", do you mean the building of new properties such as newbuild flats? Do you mean people extending their homes? Something else? Any combination of these?

Billy Shears

Did you get permission for your roof terrace?

It's going to the planning committee soon after the neighbours objection. I should know by the end of this month.

The council have told me that they'll support the extension if I reduce the size of the roof terrace, which I naturally agreed to as being the landlord type, I don't care about the terrace, all I care about is the extra internal space we're creating which is what pays the rent. The roof terrace will be nice for the tenants though, but they won't pay much for that part of the work.

But TBH, the smaller roof terrace will mean the tenants can climb over the railing & use the extra space anyway! :lol:

The architect told me once the main work was in place I should just wait a year or two & apply again to extend the terace! So fingers crossed & I'll get the main permission.

I did meet the neighbour last week. She locked herself out & I offered to climb up to her terrace and let her in. She was very grateful, then I introduced myself & she didn't have much to say beyond that.... :D

She doesn't know yet that the council are supporting the application either.

When you say "building", do you mean the building of new properties such as newbuild flats? Do you mean people extending their homes? Something else? Any combination of these?

Billy Shears

I believe they mean all extensions and new builds as well.

It's widely known though that at the level stamo duty is at these days, people can add a room rather than move house for the same cost.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.