House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

U S Inflation Figures Due At 12:30 Gmt

31 minutes to go to 12:30 gmt.

FTSE not moving so I suspect the news has already been leaked. The CPI will probably be flat after removing all the items that are inflationary.

DOW/NSDQ futures are flat which also suggest those who need to know do:

06:31 am : S&P futures vs fair value: +2.2. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: flat.

I doubt the data has been leaked lol, I reckon the markets a sitting pretty till the announcement.

After all it's either going to make the footsie go 100 point either way...if it isn't reported as flat.

Looks like a leak occured:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060614/wall_street_futures.html?.v=1

AP

Stock Futures Up After Last Session Losses

Wednesday June 14, 7:22 am ET

Stock Futures Up After Last Session Losses, Traders Await CPI Data

LONDON (AP) -- Traders bid up stock market futures Wednesday as data to be released on consumer-level inflation could help the Dow industrials edge back into positive territory for the year

It's "Summer Time" and the living is easy, so why use GMT ?

Technically the market is over sold so a Reaction Rally is to be expected, but on a longer time frame the markets are headed down IMHO.

It's "Summer Time" and the living is easy, so why use GMT ?

Technically the market is over sold so a Reaction Rally is to be expected, but on a longer time frame the markets are headed down IMHO.

Yup. A bounce looks on for today but I also agree the medium term still looks grim. Might liquidate some more on the peak and go 100% cash!

http://finance.yahoo.com/mo

Market Update Set Alert

ADVERTISEMENT

08:00 am : S&P futures vs fair value: +4.5. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +5.2. Futures versus fair value are signaling a modest rebound in the wake of yesterday's sizable sell-off. While a sense that the market is due for a bounce given the scope of recent losses, as evidenced by modest recoveries in Asian markets overnight, the market remains focused on upcoming CPI data (8:30 ET) to set a more definitive tone for today's action since it will provide a more telling signal as to the direction of Fed policy.

FTSE just sunk 50 points in 1 minute. Are the CPI figures out yet?

Edit: Cheers Sisyphus! That might explain it then.

Edited by OzzMosiz

FTSE just sunk 50 points in 1 minute. Are the CPI figures out yet?

Edit: Cheers Sisyphus! That might explain it then.

yep inflation is back on the menu

WOW--that is a sharp turnaround. Looks like the CPI figures may be bad, er, good, well you know--helpful for a HPC anyway!

ITs BAD, really bad:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060614/economy.html?.v=3

AP
Inflation Rises 0.4 Percent in May
Wednesday June 14, 8:41 am ET
By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Inflation Rises 0.4 Percent in May As Gasoline Prices Soar
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Consumer inflation registered another sizable increase in May, pushed higher by soaring gasoline prices. And most worrisome, there was further evidence that the jump in energy costs is beginning to cause more widespread inflation troubles.

Up up and awy go the rates. :)

WOW--that is a sharp turnaround. Looks like the CPI figures may be bad, er, good, well you know--helpful for a HPC anyway!

ITs BAD, really bad:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060614/economy.html?.v=3

AP
Inflation Rises 0.4 Percent in May
Wednesday June 14, 8:41 am ET
By Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Inflation Rises 0.4 Percent in May As Gasoline Prices Soar
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Consumer inflation registered another sizable increase in May, pushed higher by soaring gasoline prices. And most worrisome, there was further evidence that the jump in energy costs is beginning to cause more widespread inflation troubles.

Up up and awy go the rates. :)

They aren't bad, they were dead in line with expectations, the more worrying bit was core rate was 0.3%

y'days uk figures were higher than MPC target , today first France then US figures came in higher.

I see this a a global inflationary trend - a bit like a plague. If I was on the MPC I'd want to act next month. I thought they said before that they would act early if necessary (at least I think they did) . Well it's not too early.

They aren't bad, they were dead in line with expectations, the more worrying bit was core rate was 0.3%

If only you were right, the market is saying the rate was unexpectedly high:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13312533/

Unexpectedly large rise in consumer prices

May inflation data show sizeable 0.3 percent rise as gas prices spike

Data: MSN Money and IDC Comstock delayed 20 min.

Updated: 8:48 a.m. ET June 14, 2006
WASHINGTON - Consumer inflation registered another sizable increase in May, pushed higher by soaring gasoline prices. And most worrisome, there was further evidence that the jump in energy costs is beginning to cause more widespread inflation troubles.

Looks like amateur night is over? You only get 3 or 4 opportunities to witness events like this in a life time. Look and learn. UK interest rate will be 5.5% to 6% by the end of 2007. First rise (.25%) in July 06. Do not take your investment advice from the tabloid press. No one can say they haven’t been warned!

Pablo Silver or Lead?

y'days uk figures were higher than MPC target , today first France then US figures came in higher.

I see this a a global inflationary trend - a bit like a plague. If I was on the MPC I'd want to act next month. I thought they said before that they would act early if necessary (at least I think they did) . Well it's not too early.

Gordon cannot raise the rates until he is assured of No. 10. A HPC ruins his chance to become prime minister don't you know! IMO, the chances of Gordo making it to No. 10 are about 8:1 odds on. David "Scotty" Cameron 2:1 in favour.

Bloomberg economist poll expected YOY at 3.9% vs actual 4.2%, core 0.2% was expected MOM - perhaps Reuters had different results.

Edited by Sisyphus

If only you were right, the market is saying the rate was unexpectedly high:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13312533/

Unexpectedly large rise in consumer prices

May inflation data show sizeable 0.3 percent rise as gas prices spike

Data: MSN Money and IDC Comstock delayed 20 min.

Updated: 8:48 a.m. ET June 14, 2006
WASHINGTON - Consumer inflation registered another sizable increase in May, pushed higher by soaring gasoline prices. And most worrisome, there was further evidence that the jump in energy costs is beginning to cause more widespread inflation troubles.

FWIW Thats the press, not the markets and I am right yet again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...9Vcfew&refer=us

Economists expected a 0.4 percent increase in the consumer price index, based on the median of 77 forecasts in a Bloomberg News survey. Forecasts ranged from increases of 0.2 percent to 0.6 percent. Core prices were forecast to rise 0.2 percent.