House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest horace

The Joys Of Being A Btler Or Owner Occupier!

I've read elsewhere that the cost of sinking your own borehole in London (dunno about other areas - prob cheaper) is about £12K. One borehole can serve many properties, depending on flow rate.

With costs to connect to the water board supply of £12K per house they should be looking at all sorts of alternative solutions; rainwater collection on a large scale, tankering supplies, etc.

Looks like they just want a free ride and have gone running to the press to see if they can get it that way.

I've read elsewhere that the cost of sinking your own borehole in London (dunno about other areas - prob cheaper) is about £12K. One borehole can serve many properties, depending on flow rate.

With costs to connect to the water board supply of £12K per house they should be looking at all sorts of alternative solutions; rainwater collection on a large scale, tankering supplies, etc.

Looks like they just want a free ride and have gone running to the press to see if they can get it that way.

I have no sympathy for any of them. I'm sure they can afford it as their homes have surely rocketed in value. Why not take some of that lovely fat inflation busting increse out and spend it.

I have no sympathy for any of them. I'm sure they can afford it as their homes have surely rocketed in value. Why not take some of that lovely fat inflation busting increse out and spend it.

Because as people tirelessly point out on here - that rise in the value of their houses is not 'Real' money - unless, of course, you want to borrow against the equity in your house.

The aristocracy eh? Don't you just love their quaint ways?

The words 'French' and 'Revolution' leap to mind.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this (I do pretend on other subjects) but I am sure I have read somewhere that the water boards own all the water under the ground and you have to get permission from them to sink a borehole and pay them for the water on your own ground.

Government eh? Don't you just love the way they make sure they control everything. The words 'French' and 'Revolution' spring, again, to mind.

Why don't the homeowners cover the 90,000 grant that got turned down under a contract that ensures their bills are frozen or reduced for x years or some such deal. There are 130 households so this averages £692 per household - surely most could mew that much!!

Why don't the homeowners cover the 90,000 grant that got turned down under a contract that ensures their bills are frozen or reduced for x years or some such deal. There are 130 households so this averages £692 per household - surely most could mew that much!!

I was thinking the same thing. I can only assume that they think that £700 is too much, and they want it for free.

Billy Shears

Ah the joys of property ownership. Here in Sweden, I'm connected to the local water company. Cost £1.20 per cubic metre of water (1000 litres). I'm also connected to the local spring water as well. Cost £23 per year, unlimited supply, but best used only for garden sprinkling, car washing & pool filling.

I was thinking the same thing. I can only assume that they think that £700 is too much, and they want it for free.

Billy Shears

I suppose they could argue that a portion of their yearly payments should have been set aside by the Duke to cover this expense after all he could be making up to 26K gross a year from his spring (130*200). I suppose it depends whether you think he should be able to profit from this natural resource that happens to be on his land or whether you think the payments made by the locals should reflect the cost of maintaining the infrastructure only..

edit: personally if i could make an investment of 90K bringing in 26K per year I'd probably go for it - better than BTL!!

Edited by miro2021

I suppose they could argue that a portion of their yearly payments should have been set aside by the Duke to cover this expense after all he could be making up to 26K gross a year from his spring (130*200). I suppose it depends whether you think he should be able to profit from this natural resource that happens to be on his land or whether you think the payments made by the locals should reflect the cost of maintaining the infrastructure only..

edit: personally if i could make an investment of 90K bringing in 26K per year I'd probably go for it - better than BTL!!

I can't imagine that the Duke would have been making much of a profit. The locals have a reasonably good deal, and should probably shoulder the 90K cost between them in return for an agreement for cheaper water for N years. If they don't want to do that, then I can't see why others should subsidise the connection to the mains.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Guest horace

`Witham Friary's 300 residents were sent letters of notice of the plan to terminate their water after the duke's application for a £90,000 grant to update pipes was turned down by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs`.

unquote.

edit

Could I apply to the Dept of Environment to replace the washer in my leaking tap?

Edited by horace

I can't imagine that the Duke would have been making much of a profit. The locals have a reasonably good deal, and should probably shoulder the 90K cost between them in return for an agreement for cheaper water for N years. If they don't want to do that, then I can't see why others should subsidise the connection to the mains.

BubbaF1

I tend to agree - I think I just have a bit of a suspicious nature when it comes to rich landowners and all the tax breaks they seem to get and non-transparency eg:

http://www.sundayherald.com/37275

"The £72m in taxes is lost each year through non-payment of inheritance tax, stamp duty and capital gains tax that ordinary householders have to pay on their properties. But these losses are only the tip of a tax-avoidance iceberg. If urban Scotland and the rest of the UK is taken into account, then billions of pounds are lost to the Treasury each year."

"While these estates avoid paying millions in tax, they also apply for public grants and subsidies for housing improvements, forestry, agricultural and environmental schemes"

"Professor Christine Cooper, head of Accountancy at Strathclyde University, described some of the practices by the land owners as “deliberately artistic” and called for transparency in the accounting of estates that are in receipt of public funding."

Edited by miro2021