House Price Crash Forum

Silver Lost 13.6% Yesterday

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Dignified of you to say so. I will resist the urge to poke fun.

Wouldnt feel right without you taking the p*ss :) I knew the rules, ill live, feel free to taunt ill just do some overtime for the next couple of years :lol:

HOLA447

All markets eventually crash its just a question of timing. I like Warren Buffett's approach: when you see everyone getting in its time to get out. It was time to get out of property in 2005.

Buy low and don't forget to sell high--wait too long and you lose no matter what it is you are investing in.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA448

All markets eventually crash its just a question of timing. I like Warren Buffett's approach: when you see everyone getting in its time to get out. It was time to get out of property in 2005.

Buy low and don't forget to sell high--wait too long and you lose no matter what it is you are investing in.

Yeah, just like my Dad. Are you still formulating a reply?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The rides over. But there's always the spare seats that need filling on the downhill run......

:lol::lol:

Another one in the eye for the numpties over at Moneyweek. I think we should have a straw poll; whose more cr*p at economic forecasting, Moneyweek or Roger Bootle? :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

Your Dad sounds like a wise man. Has he been advising you to buy low and sell high also?

Well in case you missed my question earlier:

You said: Wait too long and you'll always lose in any investment (words to that effect).

I said: Like my Dad who bought his home in 1972 for $3,000. Will he lose soon?

Yes, my Dad, he's a wise man. He must be the one who coined these phrases:

They always go up. Buy before it's too late. They're not making anymore land you know. People will always need a place to live. If you can't sell it, you can rent it out. At least you'll have something to pass on to your kids when you go.

etc etc etc

A wise man indeedio.

HOLA4413

Well in case you missed my question earlier:

You said: Wait too long and you'll always lose in any investment (words to that effect).

I said: Like my Dad who bought his home in 1972 for $3,000. Will he lose soon?

Yes, my Dad, he's a wise man. He must be the one who coined these phrases:

They always go up. Buy before it's too late. They're not making anymore land you know. People will always need a place to live. If you can't sell it, you can rent it out. At least you'll have something to pass on to your kids when you go.

etc etc etc

A wise man indeedio.

Indeedio :D

In fact it reminds me of my grandfather who bought his £320,000 house for the princley sum of £3,500 32 years ago. What a bloody mistake.

Edited by binkybonka

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

That's 36.4% off it's May high.

Pop! :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html

TTRTR

However this isn't a crash, its not even a big correction. Heavens knows what the fall would have to be for a crash. Wasn't yesterday the biggest fall for gold in over 15 years?

IMF doesn't see big commodities market correction

http://za.today.reuters.com/news/newsArtic...&archived=False

CANBERRA (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund (IMF) said on Tuesday it did not expect a dramatic correction to world commodity markets, despite growing market concerns and downside risks to world growth

HOLA4416

In the same vein its impossible to lose money on the stockmarket if you buy enough stocks and hold. I daresay the same goes for Gold--its 100% guaranteed to make money if you hold it long enough.

The problem is you only have money to spend when you sell assets. That's where the buy low sell high thing comes in.

If you buy a house and keep it forever it is not an investment but a place to live. Same idea applies to stocks if you never enjoy the profits.

What this forum is mosty to do with is the question as to whether now is a good time to buy or sell property if you are in a decision making position.

BTW, looks like it is TTRTRates in the US and EU and perhaps Gordon will be forced to follow now that our inflation is rising also? Are IR a factor in the decision making process of whether to buy or sell property? I think the answer to that one might be a yes.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4417

Indeedio :D

In fact it reminds me of my grandfather who bought his £320,000 house for the princley sum of £3,500 32 years ago. What a bloody mistake.

Yes, surely it's time he sold it up, rented a depressing room somewhere, starting gambling on the SM and gold, and praying for a house price crash? It seems the only logical option... :rolleyes:

HOLA4418

Yes, surely it's time he sold it up, rented a depressing room somewhere, starting gambling on the SM and gold, and praying for a house price crash? It seems the only logical option... :rolleyes:

Why would anyone want to sell their "home." I wouldn't unless it was to move or if I was over my head in debt. Unlike STRs I do not think it is a good thing to sell a "home" for the sake of profit unless you are willing to put up with the hassle of moving and profit is the key motive. I am a STM (sold to move) and am lucky to have sold at the top of the US market to wait until its time to buy at the bottom of the UK market.

On the other hand, its foolish for anyone to buy into a falling market when the top has only just been passed as it has with the UK market. IR have yet to bite down hard and with the world moving up we should see some distressed selling very soon.

For the investor you have to know when its time to sell unless you can afford to hold forever. Then you never reap the benefit of your investments and just enjoy the headaches for awhile longer. BTLs are a nightmare in terms of upkeep, regulations and people. Fine if you can sell for a profit but to keep them for keeping sake.... :blink: I am afraid its only worth it if you buy low and sell high.

HOLA4419

In the same vein its impossible to lose money on the stockmarket if you buy enough stocks and hold. I daresay the same goes for Gold--its 100% guaranteed to make money if you hold it long enough.

I guess you haven't heard of companies going bust? That's expensive toilet paper!

The problem is you only have money to spend when you sell assets. That's where the buy low sell high thing comes in.

If you buy a house and keep it forever it is not an investment but a place to live. Same idea applies to stocks if you never enjoy the profits.

So the truth of housing comes out. Utility value. What utility value does your shares have?

What this forum is mosty to do with is the question as to whether now is a good time to buy or sell property if you are in a decision making position.

Agreed, but unlike your posts, I am open to the idea that the future isn't certain, but that trends can be reasonably expected to continue. So buy now if you believe the trend will continue, don't buy if you believe otherwise. Either way you take a risk.

BTW, looks like it is TTRTRates in the US and EU and perhaps Gordon will be forced to follow now that our inflation is rising also? Are IR a factor in the decision making process of whether to buy or sell property? I think the answer to that one might be a yes.

Maybe maybe, could be could be, we'll find out soon enough. Have you positioned yourself to ride the wave or are you to busy on the beach trying to get your money back from your broker?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Why would anyone want to sell their "home." I wouldn't unless it was to move or if I was over my head in debt. Unlike STRs I do not think it is a good thing to sell a "home" for the sake of profit unless you are willing to put up with the hassle of moving and profit is the key motive. I am a STM (sold to move) and am lucky to have sold at the top of the US market to wait until its time to buy at the bottom of the UK market.

I was being sarcastic, but I agree your situation is a bit different. Having found yourself in a position of some freedom it does make sense to try and time your purchase well. I also agree that selling ones home for the sake of profit, as some have, is a decision to think long and hard about.

Edited by Magpie

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

No it isn't, it doesn't have immigration on, which is running at 300K (Net) per year.

yes it does, it has the population.. not uk birth rate..

illegal immigrants????

it won't have them..

for every age it has numbers in the hundreds of thousands.. in 25 years a million people now 40 hit 65, and the ext year.. and the next...

even today we have about 550,000 aged 85 where it seems to stop...

birthrate is plumiting

Edited by apom

HOLA4424

yes it does, it has the population.. not uk birth rate..

illegal immigrants????

it won't have them..

for every age it has numbers in the hundreds of thousands.. in 25 years a million people now 40 hit 65, and the ext year.. and the next...

even today we have about 550,000 aged 85 where it seems to stop...

birthrate is plumiting

The graph is the population NOW, over the next 25 years we will have legal immigrants (& some illigal), and there will be children.

Therefore, the graph DOESN'T show "property crashes as demand plummits over the next 25 years... the length of a mortgage...." Because you don't know how many new people will be in the UK.

Here is the ONS

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.as...ank=2&Rank=768=

The United Kingdom population is projected to continue to grow, increasing gradually to reach 67.0 million by 2031. Longer-term projections suggest the population will continue to rise until 2074, the end of the projection period.

Lets say 7M extra people, two people to a house so an extra demand for 3M (12%) more houses. Therefore it seems improbable that demand will plummit, and so cause housing to crash

HOLA4425

The United Kingdom population is projected to continue to grow, increasing gradually to reach 67.0 million by 2031. Longer-term projections suggest the population will continue to rise until 2074, the end of the projection period.[/i]

Lets say 7M extra people, two people to a house so an extra demand for 3M (12%) more houses. Therefore it seems improbable that demand will plummit, and so cause housing to crash

..but dont forget that demand (as in people wanting to buy) doesnt have to plummet to cause a HPC.

A sharp contraction in credit or sharp rise in prices is all that is required.

Exaggerated, simplistic, hypothetical example

Doesnt matter if a billion people come to the UK - if credit contracts or 1 bed flats cost a million pounds, demand will plummet. Then prices begin to fall and nobody wants to buy into a falling market - so reduced demand = reduced prices with everyone waiting for the bottom.

Besides - many of the immigrant workers coming here presently are repatriating funds to buy property in their own countries in E Europe, not to buy property here. As TTRTR will tell you they live 6-8 in a 2 bed house.