House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Energy Rating For Houses

They'll rate your home when you try to sell

Giving you a band rating of a-g

A being solar panels and everything else.

The minister on the news listened with interest to someone's email about disacounts on council tax for band a properties as an incentive. It wasn't something they'd thought of.

Yeah right. more like they'll increase council tax if you don't have everything done on your house... when really you're penalised cos you pay more to heat your home anyway.

Will the inspectors check the cavity wall insulation is in good condition? (how? Will they use those IR guns which show up the heat escaping?)

Don't get me wrong I think energy efficiency is a good thing - but as homes accounts for 27% of energy use then it should be done right across the board and landlords should have their homes rated too each time they let out to new tenants (And on those old tenancies as a matter of urgency) and then they should be penalised if they don't bring the house up to scratch.

Interesting bit on about gardens & global warming - 15 million gardens in the UK. How many homes? 26 million? Sounds odd to me.

And it is definately the season for greeny stuff as they're planning on bringing in charges per kg of black bin waste you have (Lock up your wheely bin) - I think this is bad as it'll cause massive problems with fights over bins and fly tipping.

Anyway I am not sure this'll do much to increase house prices - and why would you sell a A rated home to move to a lesser one, knowing how much it all costs. Maybe it'll put up the price of good homes and lower the price of low band homes?

Builders seem confident that it will increse the marketable of their matchboard boxes.

Can we have a durability rating too? What band would you put a house that has a 60 year design life in?

Whilst they are at it how about a space rating too?

:lol:

Energy bills are arguably a tenant concern (who has to pay them after all?). Other tenants who don't find energy bills financially important could claim to be environmentally concerned. Either way, HIPs energy ratings could be used by tenants to screen possible lets / haggle over rent prior to renting. Dermott whatshisname on the Beeb seemed annoyed by the concept, claiming (paranoid?) that the whole measure was designed to bring down th eprice of older houses. Oh dear. The natives are revolting. maybe he is worried about filling his Victorian BTL?

Will it include water efficiency ranks too?

After all a house with water butts to collect rainwater properly, or low flush loos, and/or water meter is better for the environment too?

And will the inspectors verify the quality of double glazing? Whether it meets new guidelines or if its older stuff?

And underfloor insulation? 15% of heat is lost through floors yet no one does underfloor insulation (thick underlay and carpet is as good as houses normally get)

I'm sure they said lights too on the news - but people take the bulbs out don't they when they move?

What about porches? Draft proofing etc etc?

I'm assuming there'll be a huge list of boxes to tick...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5078200.stm

Edited by SarahBell

Interesting bit on about gardens & global warming - 15 million gardens in the UK. How many homes? 26 million? Sounds odd to me.

Odd in what way? Lots of homes don't have gardens, and of course there are more and more flats.

...And it is definately the season for greeny stuff as they're planning on bringing in charges per kg of black bin waste you have .....

well that definitely wont lead to people just dumping their rubbish in the street and saying "not mine, mate!"

NuLabour - NuStupidity

If I was charged for my black-bag waste (mainly plastics and nappies), I would;

a) sneak some of it into the recyclable bags 'by accident'.

B) burn all the remaining plastics in the back garden.

c) save up whatever was left (mainly nappies I suspect) and take it to the local tip every couple of weeks (I already take my green waste and rubble there anyway).

Not a great outcome for the environment, but good for my bank balance.

Don't you love the law of unintended consequences?

c) save up whatever was left (mainly nappies I suspect) and take it to the local tip every couple of weeks (I already take my green waste and rubble there anyway).

(a) They'll fine you

(B) they'll fine you and your neighbours will hate you and report you at every opportunity.

© They will probably introduce charges at the tip on normal rubbish.

Fly tipping will increase almost certainly, people will leave stuff to rot in their gardens causing huge health issues with rats, flies etc.

TBH I don't know why we separate out at doorstep level - would be better to sort it all and recycle at the tip imo.

people will leave stuff to rot in their gardens causing huge health issues with rats, flies etc.

It called a compost bin. And as long as people don't put meat in it you should be fine.

Or you could empty your rubbish every day when you leave for work by stopping at a council car park and putting it in their bins :lol::lol:

Or you could empty your rubbish every day when you leave for work by stopping at a council car park and putting it in their bins :lol::lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/4792490.stm

A council that threatened to fine a man for dropping junk mail into a street bin has changed its mind.

"We also need to learn from it and that maybe the public are not as aware of the rules on where rubbish should be put as they should be.

You think if people do it to avoid charges they won't fine you?

It called a compost bin. And as long as people don't put meat in it you should be fine.

Or nappies, or cooked food.

Energy bills are arguably a tenant concern (who has to pay them after all?). Other tenants who don't find energy bills financially important could claim to be environmentally concerned. Either way, HIPs energy ratings could be used by tenants to screen possible lets / haggle over rent prior to renting. Dermott whatshisname on the Beeb seemed annoyed by the concept, claiming (paranoid?) that the whole measure was designed to bring down th eprice of older houses. Oh dear. The natives are revolting. maybe he is worried about filling his Victorian BTL?

Yes, that pr@tt is extremely annoying. Another one of those 'it's a Labour minister so I'll suck up, it's a Tory so I'll interrupt all the time and laugh at their naive ideas.'

These tosspots in the media should be forced to declare an interest to make them honest like our politicians.

I picture the UK in the future like China on that documentary last night. The council guy will be like the Communist party official going around the town banging on about this and that for the good of the country or the environment or whatever. And we will be like the ordinary Tibetans who just nod their heads and agree in the hope that the over-concerned idiot will go away and leave them alone soon.