House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Waiting Patiently

Inflation Up, Rates Up, House Prices Down.

Interesting bearish report on tonight's 6 pm news on Radio 4 covering the rise of global inflation, global interest rates going up and the downward pressure this will have on asset prices including house prices in the UK.

More bearish comments from BBC senior economics editor Evan Davis following a similiar report on last nights television news at ten .......

".....if the era of low rates ends house prices may need to readjust....."

Listen again here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Scroll down to 'Six O' Clock News', the report starts about 10 minutes in.

Evan Davis has had an article on the BBC for a number of years now saying that he would like a HPC.

Now that we have IRs going up globally, he's not afraid to imply that possibility once again on the mainstream news bulletins.

Some people feel the BBC is too biased to pro-house prices, but this guy is the Economics Editor.

People who keep on criticising the BBC for being pro-HPI need to take a break.

Why in God's name do they have to use Real Player? What's wrong with MP3 (like what everyone can play)?

Good news. But then it's not news, is it? Look at the property prices on BBC web site. Fell in all regions except London and NI over the last quarter. :rolleyes:

Why in God's name do they have to use Real Player? What's wrong with MP3 (like what everyone can play)?

Because MP3 is audio only. The BBC website offers a choice between both Real Player and Windows Media these days.

The BBC are also offering an increasing number of programmes in MP3 format, for podcasts. B)

Realplayer is indeed a blight upon the Earth.

Do a search for 'Real Alternative' for a non-spyware non-please-advertise-at-me-while-I-try-to-use-my-computer solution.

'Quicktime Alternative' is another good one, Quicktime on the PC is dated and deliberately hobbled.

Edited by tahoma

Real player is excellent for STREAMING... It's very efficient. That's why it has been the streaming format for years

TB

OH BTW - Great clip that.. looks like its hitting home????

Edited by teddyboy

Real player is excellent for STREAMING... It's very efficient. That's why it has been the streaming format for years

TB

OH BTW - Great clip that.. looks like its hitting home????

The BBC techs were working on a more open streaming format called Ogg Vorbis, but their managers pulled the resources. Shame really. RealPlayer is evil malware.

T&T

Recently Evan has been doing some decent economics stuff, I would imagine he is a bit contrained by not trying to lose his audiance.

The thing about some of the recent media, including Kings speach, is that we have been here before. King, for example, knows his words carry a lot of weight in the markets. I would imagine he's trying to cool HPI without wanting the IRs to go up (didn't he vote for a hold in the last BoE minutes?).

Will central banks around the world hike rates to the extent where money becomes so restricted as to cause the global economy problems, I doubt it.

I'm going to sit by the sidelines for a bit and then make up my mind later. There's too much fear driving the markets at the moment.

Recently Evan has been doing some decent economics stuff, I would imagine he is a bit contrained by not trying to lose his audiance.

The thing about some of the recent media, including Kings speach, is that we have been here before. King, for example, knows his words carry a lot of weight in the markets. I would imagine he's trying to cool HPI without wanting the IRs to go up (didn't he vote for a hold in the last BoE minutes?).

Will central banks around the world hike rates to the extent where money becomes so restricted as to cause the global economy problems, I doubt it.

I'm going to sit by the sidelines for a bit and then make up my mind later. There's too much fear driving the markets at the moment.

Jawboning and monetary mismanagement have got us here, don't expect jawboning and an attempt to keep the the mismanagement going to succeed in getting us out of it.

Debt is rocketing, still.

Edited by OnlyMe