House Price Crash Forum

I thought it was a joke Sarah! A bit like "Carrying coals to Newcastle "

I have to say I don't believe it myself. Someone is 'aving a larf init.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5075496.stm

An Indian call centre company is to create 1,000 jobs in Northern Ireland over the next two years

Why do call centres only seem to be sited in areas where there is a very pronounced accent?

Is it to extend the call due to not being able to understand the call centre operator thus making the call more expensive & increase revenue.

Why do call centres only seem to be sited in areas where there is a very pronounced accent?

Because that's where they can hire the cheapest staff :) ?

I did read a claim a few years ago that most American call-centers were in the mid-West because people preferred their accent to New Yorkers and Californians.

Is it to extend the call due to not being able to understand the call centre operator thus making the call more expensive & increase revenue.

I always find it amusing when people say this. EVERYONE HAS AN ACCENT. Why do some English people insist that it is everyone else who sounds funny, not themselves? :rolleyes:

Guest grumpy-old-man

I always find it amusing when people say this. EVERYONE HAS AN ACCENT. Why do some English people insist that it is everyone else who sounds funny, not themselves? :rolleyes:

ha duvnt naa wat yahh takin boot marra ;)

Edited by grumpy-old-man

But some are worse than others, it is easy to find out which are the worst, look for the call centres.

och aye, yakkyda, waa aye, begorrah!!

Guest grumpy-old-man

Regional accents are deemed more trusting.

apart from scousers ;)

sorry I have nothing useful to say today..

The company I used to work for (Large American telecoms company) laid off a lot of people in the UK, to contract work out to Taiwan & China. The company in Taiwan that did a lot of design work for us immediately opened a UK branch and hired most of the people laid off because they had so much work on and couldnt find the staff locally.

This is terrific news.

Thanks to these Indian and Irish call-centres I will never buy a Dell computer again. The Indian's prevaricated so much that I couldn't believe a word (nor understand) they droned.

Eventually I got through to Ireland only to be put back to India. When I threatened legal action the fog lifted.

Useless wanchors.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I have to say I don't believe it myself. Someone is 'aving a larf init.

There was an interview with one of these call centre bosses in India a while back. He was saying they were considering moving some of their operations to countries they served and would expect their highly trained staff to transfer with them.

It's not really news, it's been happening quite a bit, to be be a bit controversial, the whole India bit has been blown up out of all proportion, I have heard many rumours that despite all the claims of a highly educated workforce, most of them are pretty crap, and it has had a negative effect on customer perceptions, I think some of the stories we hear are designed to frighten us

its short term untill the indian's have developed the right accent etc,globalisations march is inevitable unless the EU/uk/usa shuts up shop in a protectionist fury when they realise they cant compete with theses new economic superpowers

its short term untill the indian's have developed the right accent etc,globalisations march is inevitable unless the EU/uk/usa shuts up shop in a protectionist fury when they realise they cant compete with theses new economic superpowers

If funny how it's only happening to the engalish speaking world, I think th ethreat is over rated, many companies have been badly burnt playing this game

Have you never stopped to think that a conversation is a two way thing?

One of the reasons call centres have been situated in Glasgow is not because they have strong accents, but because they can understand EVERYONE else.

People growing up in Scotland are constantly fed many regional english accents on day to day TV media. We can even understand your slang!

NDL