House Price Crash Forum
Ah-so

The Burdened Optimists

I was having a look at the social profiliing website here. Downloaded the Word document and soon came to a group that seem to epitomise 21st century Britain and feature on this site anecdotally regularly.

They are group B13, The "Burdened Optimists":

(selected quotes only, long but well worth reading)

Summary

Burdened Optimists contains confident, but not very well educated, co-habiting and married couples who live in mortgaged properties in areas of good employment opportunities.

Demography

Burdened Optimists contains young couples with modest educational qualifications, many of whom have built up considerable debts in an attempt to emulate middle class lifestyles. Most are in long-term partnerships that may or may not involve marriage and have borrowed heavily in order to finance mortgages on small homes, many of which are located in towns where there is little easily affordable housing. These people are confident, almost reckless in their optimism, which is rooted in the ease with which well paid jobs can traditionally be found in the low unemployment labour markets in which many of them live.

At this stage of their life cycle two earners are needed to obtain the multiples of earnings that lenders require in order to qualify for a mortgage on a decent property and many of these young couples have taken a conscious decision to defer starting a family until mortgage interest payments are more manageable. When children do arrive the weight of responsibility of a single income owner makes it impractical to move up the housing ladder and couples can easily find themselves trapped in housing, much of which is not ideally suited for raising a young family.

There is little doubt that financial problems contribute to the high levels of separation and single parenthood that tend to characterise these neighbourhoods.

Rising land prices in the South East have had a particularly serious effect on the affordability of houses in these areas and little new housing has been built which is now affordable for manual workers. The result is pressure on a number of different types of housing, early inter war terraces built originally to accommodate workers in inter war factories, later 1930s semis in the less favoured parts of town, ex-council estates in the new towns and the lowest end of the post war housing market.

Energetic and impatient of restraints, many can be impetuous and even hedonistic, showing little sympathy for intellectual anxieties of the metropolitan chattering classes. Showing little deference, they are attracted to brands and newspapers which reinforce their feelings of financial self confidence and which champion the rights of the ordinary man in his efforts to achieve his life’s ambitions.

Consumption Patterns

Burdened Optimists devotes much of its expenditure to immediate gratification. These people build up large interest payments on their credit cards and are heavy users of personal loans. Many drink heavily and take foreign package holidays. Many are also keen users of information technology and many homes have Internet access as well as cable or Sky. Tastes in food are conservative and many residents take advantage of special promotional offers and cut price bargains that are available at sale time.

Change

There are no particular signposts as to how these areas are likely to change in future years.

How may Burdened Optimists do you know? :unsure:

I have met hundreds of them, over the last few years, in fact just go along to the Trafford centre (or any other mega mall) and look at the shops in there! It's the spend it like Beckham generation, but only on a fraction of the wages, talk about lambs to the slaughter :ph34r:

I have met hundreds of them, over the last few years, in fact just go along to the Trafford centre (or any other mega mall) and look at the shops in there! It's the spend it like Beckham generation, but only on a fraction of the wages, talk about lambs to the slaughter :ph34r:

Very close to reality!!!

CRICKET in Liverpool is VERY VERY expensive but people will get stuff from there just coz Coleen and Wayne are regulars.

People should realise that they cannot compete with the mega-rich!

TB

Guest grumpy-old-man

I was having a look at the social profiliing website here. Downloaded the Word document and soon came to a group that seem to epitomise 21st century Britain and feature on this site anecdotally regularly.

They are group B13, The "Burdened Optimists":

(selected quotes only, long but well worth reading)

Summary

Burdened Optimists contains confident, but not very well educated, co-habiting and married couples who live in mortgaged properties in areas of good employment opportunities.

Demography

Burdened Optimists contains young couples with modest educational qualifications, many of whom have built up considerable debts in an attempt to emulate middle class lifestyles. Most are in long-term partnerships that may or may not involve marriage and have borrowed heavily in order to finance mortgages on small homes, many of which are located in towns where there is little easily affordable housing. These people are confident, almost reckless in their optimism, which is rooted in the ease with which well paid jobs can traditionally be found in the low unemployment labour markets in which many of them live.

At this stage of their life cycle two earners are needed to obtain the multiples of earnings that lenders require in order to qualify for a mortgage on a decent property and many of these young couples have taken a conscious decision to defer starting a family until mortgage interest payments are more manageable. When children do arrive the weight of responsibility of a single income owner makes it impractical to move up the housing ladder and couples can easily find themselves trapped in housing, much of which is not ideally suited for raising a young family.

There is little doubt that financial problems contribute to the high levels of separation and single parenthood that tend to characterise these neighbourhoods.

Rising land prices in the South East have had a particularly serious effect on the affordability of houses in these areas and little new housing has been built which is now affordable for manual workers. The result is pressure on a number of different types of housing, early inter war terraces built originally to accommodate workers in inter war factories, later 1930s semis in the less favoured parts of town, ex-council estates in the new towns and the lowest end of the post war housing market.

Energetic and impatient of restraints, many can be impetuous and even hedonistic, showing little sympathy for intellectual anxieties of the metropolitan chattering classes. Showing little deference, they are attracted to brands and newspapers which reinforce their feelings of financial self confidence and which champion the rights of the ordinary man in his efforts to achieve his life’s ambitions.

Consumption Patterns

Burdened Optimists devotes much of its expenditure to immediate gratification. These people build up large interest payments on their credit cards and are heavy users of personal loans. Many drink heavily and take foreign package holidays. Many are also keen users of information technology and many homes have Internet access as well as cable or Sky. Tastes in food are conservative and many residents take advantage of special promotional offers and cut price bargains that are available at sale time.

Change

There are no particular signposts as to how these areas are likely to change in future years.

How may Burdened Optimists do you know? :unsure:

ah_so:

very interesting read, I like things like this.....I am interested in the social/psychological aspects of people, even though it has nothing to do with my area of work (a missed opportunity perhaps). I certainly find it more interesting than my day job.

it's surprising how much you can learn about peoples makeup & attitudes in general, by asking the right questions.

could also mean I'm just a nosey bu55er :P

I work in a marketing department for a major corporation and although we don't use this particular segmentation package, of the three I have used they all tend to be pretty poor. Mostly all modelled data.

So much for these knowledge industries. Packaging it up with some slick brochure and verbage doesn't hide the fact that it's mostly sh*te.

I work in a marketing department for a major corporation and although we don't use this particular segmentation package, of the three I have used they all tend to be pretty poor. Mostly all modelled data.

So much for these knowledge industries. Packaging it up with some slick brochure and verbage doesn't hide the fact that it's mostly sh*te.

I tend to agree.

Marketing segmentation is quite flaky, phsychological segmentation on the other hand can be quite interesting but only at a fairly high level. As soon as you try and pigeon hole people in too much detail it all falls apart.

I tend to agree.

Marketing segmentation is quite flaky, phsychological segmentation on the other hand can be quite interesting but only at a fairly high level. As soon as you try and pigeon hole people in too much detail it all falls apart.

:-) What do you think is the psychological profile of posters on this board then ?