erd

Cpi 2.2% May

RPI 3.0% (up 0.4%).

RPIX 2.9% (up 0.5%).

edit:corrected figures

Edited by erd

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

King comments spark FTSE sell-off

By Caroline Muspratt (Filed: 13/06/2006)

Speaking at a dinner hosted by Scottish Financial Enterprise and Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, Mr King signalled global interest rates may have been too low for too long, fanning inflationary pressures which are now feeding into the British economy.
He warned that the British economy is facing a "bumpier stretch of the road" and that inflation "remains volatile".

Question is, will Gordon allow them to hike the IR and crash the housing market? Gordon has the same choices as the Fed:

A. Inflation.

B. Recession.

Anyone get the feeling that the HPC is like a balloon that is fizzing and erratically spinning around as the air escapes with dips and dives but headed toward inevitable deflation?

Edited by Realistbear

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

King comments spark FTSE sell-off

By Caroline Muspratt (Filed: 13/06/2006)

Speaking at a dinner hosted by Scottish Financial Enterprise and Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, Mr King signalled global interest rates may have been too low for too long, fanning inflationary pressures which are now feeding into the British economy.
He warned that the British economy is facing a "bumpier stretch of the road" and that inflation "remains volatile".

Question is, will Gordon allow them to hike the IR and crash the housing market? Gordon has the same choices as the Fed:

A. Inflation.

B. Recession.

Anyone get the feeling that the HPC is like a balloon that is fizzing and erratically spinning around as the air escapes with dips and dives but headed toward inevitable deflation?

I wish my prospects of my missus 'going down' were as high as the Housing Bubble :rolleyes:

After a quick look through this PDF - its obvious that EVERYTHING has got more expensive by MASSIVE amounts. Inflation in real terms is easily 7-8%!!

TB

I urge all users of this site to download the pdf link in at the top of this post.

Inflation is starting to run away with itself.

Take a look at:

Household Costs contributing c. 9% p.a. to CPI compared to about 6% in February.

Fuel and light contributing a whacking 26% p.a. in May to RPI up from less than 15% in February.

I'd be very, very worried if I was on the BoE's MPC.

the largest upward effects came from housing, water, energy, food, non-alcoholic beverages, clothing and footwear

that would be non-discretionary spending then (don't forget higher council taxes et al)

downward effects came from air fares, sea fares and mobile phone calls - discretionary items.

ouch.

So yes "real infation" is on the up as everybody knows.

the largest upward effects came from housing, water, energy, food, non-alcoholic beverages, clothing and footwear

that would be non-discretionary spending then (don't forget higher council taxes et al)

downward effects came from air fares, sea fares and mobile phone calls - discretionary items.

ouch.

So yes "real infation" is on the up as everybody knows.

I hope that people now accept that the CPI is more inclusive of living costs than some have claimed before now.

It seems to move at the same rate as the RPI

I hope that people now accept that the CPI is more inclusive of living costs than some have claimed before now.

It seems to move at the same rate as the RPI

Didn't Roger Bootle write a book called "the death of inflation" or something? What an idiot. He obviously thought that cheap tat from China would warm our homes, run our cars and feed our bellies!!!

Why anyone should be surprised is beyond me. If commodity prices are increasing dramatically and the money supply goes berserk you don't have to be Einstein to work out that it'll lead to inflation.

Excellent news, anyway :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P