House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Tuesday On The F T S E May Be Unpleasant

http://biz.yahoo.com/usat/060612/13589401.html

USATODAY.com

Slumping stocks hint at correction

Monday June 12, 1:55 am ET

By Matt Krantz, USA TODAY

Through all the gyrations in stocks the past several years, investors could find comfort in the fact the broad market has gone a long time without a correction.
That comfort soon could be a thing of the past.
A month-long slide has dropped the Russell 2000 small-company stock index into correction territory - a drop of 10% or more from its recent high - as it ended Friday 10.3% below its record high set May 5. The Nasdaq composite, which, like the Russell, was a market leader earlier this year, is right on the cusp, down 9.9% from its 2006 high.

Seems that 20% is a "crash."

FTSE tends to follow Wall Street the next day in which case we may see another down day in the City. Too many down days and a slump may set in and brokers may start letting a few City workers go. Dot.com bust revisited perhaps.

These are interesting times indeed, from the highs of a few weeks ago, barriers were been breached, my inbox was full of optimistic broker type spin, now it's one step forward to steps back.

I wonder what this tells us about the state of the world economy, are things as rosy as we are being told, I do know that there has been billions of borrowed money invested of late, perhaps the threat of IR is sending it home

There is no "maybe" about Tuesday being grim for the FTSE.

I have pencilled in another 50 point fall by the close.

The Dow may not hold the 10700 level in which case the floodgates will open

Where will it all end ?

I haven't the foggiest ,my money is on Italy to win the World Cup!!!

England is going to win the world cup judging by all the supporting flags adorning this nation.

England is going to win the world cup judging by all the supporting flags adorning this nation.

...all of which are probably made in China

dang that trade deficit :unsure::P

When the Dow was closing tonight Bloomberg had a man doing something with Dow figures going back however many years and he was talking about 2 standard deviations below the average. Last one was the last crash, we're only just off being 2sd's below now.

I'm sure someone on here can explain what I mean......

Edit: It also happen in 1929 too...

Edited by libitina

When the Dow was closing tonight Bloomberg had a man doing something with Dow figures going back however many years and he was talking about 2 standard deviations below the average. Last one was the last crash, we're only just off being 2sd's below now.

I'm sure someone on here can explain what I mean......

We are all doomed I tell ya all doomed :ph34r:

I can't understand the sudden change in sentiment to be honest,

Guest wrongmove

Nikkei down nearly 3% as I write, and gold dipping below $600. I thought gold was supoosed to go up when everything else went down :unsure:

I can't understand the sudden change in sentiment to be honest,

It seems that the world has finally woken up to the fact that inflation is not dead and so IRs may get higher again. Party mode has switched to hangover mode. Equities and commodities are very liquid and have fallen quickly. Lets hope the sentiment spreads to less liquid assets soon !

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsarticl...AIN.xml&src=rss

LONDON (Reuters) - The blue chip share index is poised to fall sharply on Tuesday as concerns over rising U.S. interest rates persist.

Financial bookmakers forecast the FTSE 100 <.FTSE> share index will open between 40-41 points lower. On Monday the benchmark index shed 34.3 points to 5,620.9.

With the UK now having concerns over inflation, can we breach the 5,500 in one day???

Guest wrongmove

India down 4.5%, Russia down 3.9%.

Time to BRIC it ?

Edited by wrongmove

ftse's going up tuesday!

Early indications -84 pts

Might just break even at best me thinks. From what I gather, footsie follows DOW the day later, so chances are could be as much as 1% down today?

I think we are seeing a major downturn. Dunno whether we will get -2% or more in a day, but the trend is most definately down!

TB

Looks like they will all be doing some profit taking and buying property with the profit or could it will be some fools will just add to the debt they take on :)

as China reduces the amount of free lending the markets will be effected across the world so no wonder the FTSE and others are taking a bashing

Edited by Justice

Despite all of the weakness in financial markets at the moment, there has been no noticeable widening in credit spreads for mortgage backed securities in across Europe. Spreads are still rangebound and new issue demand is still seemingly bottomless. It is crucial for problems to appear here in order for banks and building societies to tighten their lending criteria and really trigger trouble. As long as they can sell off the risk and book the arbitrage profit then they will continue to lend money out to whoever wants it.

This market is becoming increasingly likely to only react to actual asset pool under-performance and not interest-rate moves themselves, never mind merely the theat of tightening monetary policy.

My hunch, based on years of watching the market do exactly the opposite of what people expect, is that the market will recover its early losses and then when the Dow opens and goes up, then the UK will follow suit. I expect the FTSE to finish somewhere between +10 and -20 from yesterday.

In reality, I am completely guessing ..... :lol:

5533. Oooohhh it's close......

My hunch, based on years of watching the market do exactly the opposite of what people expect, is that the market will recover its early losses and then when the Dow opens and goes up, then the UK will follow suit. I expect the FTSE to finish somewhere between +10 and -20 from yesterday.

In reality, I am completely guessing ..... :lol:

Well if that happens, we can all go quiet about it & find a new thrill for the day.....