House Price Crash Forum
RichM

The Horrible Irony Of It All

It struck me today as I was brushing my teeth.

The Japan '90 crash was a nightmare, a complete devastation. To cope, they slash IRs from their peak of 6% :lol: to 0%. Cheap credit floods out into the rest of the world in the noughties to help compensate for the Japanese collapse, which in turn stirs up more obscene asset bubbles.

Japan 1990 for crying out loud - Gazza was playing in the world cup then! The Stone Roses were still together! I was 10 years old!

It's enough to make you cry. Or laugh. Or both.

I was trying to explain what the 0% rate of Japan had caused and that it was ending.

Although I know why they had had 0% interest for ages, it hadn't really twigged what it had caused. DOH!

So your the same ages as me! You sound intellegent - uni educated or the school of hard knocks?

I assume you have a rather good job, given your previous comments & infered knowledge.

I went into engineering - not the best paid, and the way the country is going maybe not a long a fruitful career, but I consider myself well paid - for the time being!

YET, we are both here. Surfing what is fast becoming a boring site of the same old stories and p*ssed-off comments.

Both looking for something that at the momment this country can't offer - A roof I can call my own!!

Keep your little pearls coming - they are often enlightened.

Cheers

JJ

I went into engineering - not the best paid, and the way the country is going maybe not a long a fruitful career, but I consider myself well paid - for the time being!

Ditto Johnney, Im an engineer myself (hence the moniker) of the structural variety.

spent too much time designing timber kit shitholes.

Did you know the galv lintels they're plugging into the newbuild stack-flats have a design life of 60 years.

Good luck sellling them on is all I can say.

Anyhoo............

Ditto Johnney, Im an engineer myself (hence the moniker) of the structural variety.

spent too much time designing timber kit shitholes.

Did you know the galv lintels they're plugging into the newbuild stack-flats have a design life of 60 years.

Good luck sellling them on is all I can say.

Interesting. What does "galv lintel" mean? What's the definition of "design life"? Does this apply to all new builds or just the cr@ppier ones?

frugalista

Interesting. What does "galv lintel" mean? What's the definition of "design life"? Does this apply to all new builds or just the cr@ppier ones?

frugalista

I'll assume galvanised lintels as in windows and doors. What worried me more was the builder who told me the other day, that there's some builder on with some new builds who is using two of those flimsy floor boards (chipboard mush when wet), glued together to make his floor joists! Now i'm not a builder by any means, but it made my daughter's wendy house sound more appealing! Perhaps someone on here can eleborate, on this legal, but extremely tight money saving practice, as i've probably not made it sound very clear.

I'll assume galvanised lintels as in windows and doors. What worried me more was the builder who told me the other day, that there's some builder on with some new builds who is using two of those flimsy floor boards (chipboard mush when wet), glued together to make his floor joists! Now i'm not a builder by any means, but it made my daughter's wendy house sound more appealing! Perhaps someone on here can eleborate, on this legal, but extremely tight money saving practice, as i've probably not made it sound very clear.

Sorry this is becoming a engineers thread, (I am a surveyor) I think what your builder maybe referring to are some of the engineered floor joists, there are quite a few on the market, they are good if installed correctly

The Japan '90 crash was a nightmare, a complete devastation. To cope, they slash IRs from their peak of 6% :lol: to 0%. Cheap credit floods out into the rest of the world in the noughties to help compensate for the Japanese collapse, which in turn stirs up more obscene asset bubbles.

Japan 1990 for crying out loud - Gazza was playing in the world cup then! The Stone Roses were still together! I was 10 years old!

I was living in Japan in '90. Though I don't remember noticing a big crash. Was it one of these "in hindsight" things?

Billy Shears

Guest muttley

Might I suggest a career change.Mortgage Advisor.

All you need is a calculator,some smoke and a couple of mirrors.

Well, I'm 27 a week tomorrow (Wednesday). As I clicked on this thread I was listening to the theme tune from Dogtanian and the Muskahounds on Winamp. Frankly I don't know whether to laugh or cry either (at my own infantilism :rolleyes: ).

Anyway though- I seem to remember that our last recession kicked off in 1992 and lasted till 1996. If Japan's cheap credit has bailed us out post 2001 why didn't it bail us out then, if they've had 0% interest rates since 1990? I certainly believe that the economy of this country is headed to hell in a handbasket, but I don't believe that any one factor is 100% responsible. Apart from Gordon Brown :P.

If Japan's cheap credit has bailed us out post 2001 why didn't it bail us out then, if they've had 0% interest rates since 1990?

Because they haven't had 0% interest rates since 1990? From what I remember their stock and housing bubble peaked around 1990, but they didn't cut rates to 0% until the late 90s.

Anyway though- I seem to remember that our last recession kicked off in 1992 and lasted till 1996. If Japan's cheap credit has bailed us out post 2001 why didn't it bail us out then, if they've had 0% interest rates since 1990? I certainly believe that the economy of this country is headed to hell in a handbasket, but I don't believe that any one factor is 100% responsible. Apart from Gordon Brown :P.

My point is the ripple from that Japanese crash is only just hitting us. Our IRs had shot up in 89-92, lots of instability with the ERM etc. Not a lot could have rescued us then.

Guest Alright Jack

Well, I've looked very hard but I cannot find the irony. Please help.

maybe you should have a walk over to www.dictionary.com ?

Guest Alright Jack

maybe you should go get your mummy to explain it to you, tithead.

Go on then, smart ass (or maybe that should be "smarting ass as a result of being repeatedly shagged by HPI")

you explain to me where the irony in that post is.

That's right there is none. The guy doesn't understand english. Don't use words that you don't understand, that is my motto.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).

What might be expected: People learn from Japan's hideous c0ck up that printing money is not helpful.

What actually occurred: People borrow cheap money from the Japanese (who are keen to lend lots of money to dig themselves out of their own bust), thereby creating new asset bubbles.

Moderators have removed my signiture.

What's a signiture?