House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Smell the Fear

Rural Poor Start To Fight Back

It seems the folk of the rural SW have had enough of being bullied off their home turf by arrogant holiday home owners and BTL speculators. Radio 4 Today programme featured a slot with a guy called Steve Knightley who has written a protest song about the issue. You can hear a brief interview with him and hear his song here (8.50am slot):

Radio 4 Today

Of course, this is not only a rural issue. Most town and city dwellers have suffered the same ill effects of an increasing gap between rich and poor, and more importantly the effects of loose monetary policy on the price of ordinary homes (aka weapons of mass speculation).

However, anything raising the profile of this issue is a good thing IMO.

Whilst I am all for the free market it is stupid to have houses empty for 8 months of the year whilst some people have to live in cramped rented accomodation. It would be desirable to have taxes biased in way that encouraged full utilisation of property. There is a of underutilised property at the moment which is being held for speculative reasons.

Of course, this is not only a rural issue. Most town and city dwellers have suffered the same ill effects of an increasing gap between rich and poor, and more importantly the effects of loose monetary policy on the price of ordinary homes (aka weapons of mass speculation).

It really is bad in the South West because wages are so low - I have to spend half my working life in the West Midlands because I just can't earn enough in Cornwall - plus the Cornish dislike anyone from North of the Tamar

CS

Guest Guy_Montag

We should be getting involved in this sort of thing - we don't get anywhere posting on here, we should be trying to drum up support from people in the SW & elsewhere suffering from second home owners.

It really is bad in the South West because wages are so low - I have to spend half my working life in the West Midlands because I just can't earn enough in Cornwall - plus the Cornish dislike anyone from North of the Tamar

CS

I thought the Tamar ran south through Plymouth?

Anyone have a link to the actual song? It sounds great!

Ok, have got it on the stream now.

Anyone have a link to the actual song? It sounds great!

Ok, have got it on the stream now.

It's a brilliant song, but the 'pave the Earth' people on here won't like it much.

Whilst I am all for the free market ...

The problem is that it isn't a free market, if it was there would not be a shortage of houses in these areas. Planning changes are needed rather than higher taxes, although there should be no discounts!

He's in a band called Show of Hands - he released a CD called Country Life a short-time ago - a guy outside his home - a shitty caravan - on the cover - carry on telling it as it is Steevie Boy!

G

Edited by gruffydd

The problem is that it isn't a free market, if it was there would not be a shortage of houses in these areas. Planning changes are needed rather than higher taxes, although there should be no discounts!

I agree!