House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
othello

City Jitters Trigger House Price Falls In London

I don't suppose we'll see that headline, but given the crowing about how City conuses sparked a mini-boom at the start of the year it seems logical that recent market falls will spark the opposite. Bulls, any views? :lol:

Edited by othello

I don't suppose we'll see that headline, but given the crowing about how City conuses sparked a mini-boom at the start of the year it seems logical that recent market falls will spark the opposite. Bulls, any views? :lol:

City money is mostly from M&A, so the falls wont have a great effect. (Still lots of those going on)

I would expect next years bonuses to be large again.

It's not really symmetrical is it. I'm a bit sceptical of the "bonuses feeding the market" theory. but even so, if someone gets a big bonus, they may well be thinking "what shall I buy with this", so it will increase demand.

But if there are jitters in the market it just means that maybe (depending on what else happens this year) those people won't get bonuses at the end of this year - meaning demand will stay level rather than receiving a temporary boost. Lack of bonuses wouldn't make a market fall by itself. For that you would need the market jitters to translate into people losing their shirts, or a significant number of people losing their jobs, as that would reduce demand and/or create forced sales.

Edited by Magpie

City money is mostly from M&A, so the falls wont have a great effect. (Still lots of those going on)

I would expect next years bonuses to be large again.

Really? Would you care to elaborate on your 'one liner'.

Really? Would you care to elaborate on your 'one liner'.

OK, but I really don't know why I have to.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...29/ai_n15984053

The fees made by the top investment banks on takeover deals rose by almost a third this year, according to figures published by Thomson Financial. Global merger and acquisition fees rose 27 per cent to $30.3bn (pounds 17.5bn), from $24bn last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4604346.stm

City workers set for £7.5bn bonus

2005 was a good year for the City of London

Financial workers in the City of London are set to earn £7.5bn in bonuses this winter, according to the Centre for Economics and Business Research.

The record figure is 16% up on the £6.4bn it estimated was paid last year.

The centre said that the average worker would receive £23,000, while some reports estimate that 3,000 people will get a windfall of £1m or more.

It said a 10% rise in stock market activity and 20% increase in mergers and acquisitions were responsible.

The City is a very diverse place in terms of where money is generated. I agree with Magpie, things are currently on course for another bumper year as there is relatively little hurt from the small adjustments in equities and commodities we have seen over the last month or so.

I think perhaps you've short youself in the foot. To quote your own reference:

"as they reap their rewards from buoyant stock markets and an upsurge in mergers and acquisitions" and "It said a 10% rise in stock market activity and 20% increase in mergers and acquisitions were responsible."

Buoyant stockmarkets appear to be cited ahead of M&A. This year? I don't think so.