House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rain'ard

An Estate Agent's Deception

Never seen for them myself, but I understand the London area estate agents Foxtons use minis for their employees to go out and do their deeds.

There is an estate agent in my area who has recently done the same thing. They have bought a fleet of minis painted them Foxton style and fleet numbered them. The highest number I’ve spotted so far is 48 (must remind Charlie of the unproductive days of collecting car numbers)

I thought to myself this firm isn’t that big to require to be able to sustain the costs of all those vehicles so I cornered one of drivers for a friendly discussion.

“How many Minis has your firm got then?” I asked

“About fifteen was the reply?”

what a waste of a post.

prices are historically high.

falls are very possible.

let me know when you have the evidence for them.

you thought an estate agent had more cars than it does. so what? i'll tell you something that is as equally relavent to the HPC website... 5 years ago I thought i had an ingrowing toe-nail but i didn't.

No it is plain deception. This company has already been publicly berated for fly posting sold boards and leaving them up over their proper time. I’ve reported them myself for placing sold boards on places where there was not previously a for sale one. Though they are not the only ones. This company replied to criticism for fly posting that they are proactive in creating a market by these tactics. They valued a garage at £20000 when the last one sold only a few days before for £8000.

I don’t see how you can compare a piss pot EA with the Royal Air Force. No they just wanting to look bigger than they are worth just like their prices so beware.

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

when i see a number on a car i do not assume that the company has that many cars.

saying that i'd love to work on a commission only basis for trading standards round me - with me taking 50% of the fines that were imposed on EAs who were prosected for flyboarding. there are so many firms massively breaking the law and nothing is done. i do not believe this is the eas fault entirely. every agent does it, none are prosecuted, so you pretty much have to do it to compete reven if you are trying to behave lawfully and ethically.

if you knew you could get away with 80 or 90 on the motorway many of you would speed all the time (on the basis that everyone else is doing it, and most of the time 80 or 90 is safe on the motorway.) the problem is that eas know they can (and have to to compete) get away with it.

but numbers on cars mean nothing.

when i see a number on a car i do not assume that the company has that many cars.

saying that i'd love to work on a commission only basis for trading standards round me - with me taking 50% of the fines that were imposed on EAs who were prosected for flyboarding. there are so many firms massively breaking the law and nothing is done. i do not believe this is the eas fault entirely. every agent does it, none are prosecuted, so you pretty much have to do it to compete reven if you are trying to behave lawfully and ethically.

if you knew you could get away with 80 or 90 on the motorway many of you would speed all the time (on the basis that everyone else is doing it, and most of the time 80 or 90 is safe on the motorway.) the problem is that eas know they can (and have to to compete) get away with it.

I'll support you in that. What marketing advantage can be gained from a higher number on a car?

I'll support you in that. What marketing advantage can be gained from a higher number on a car?

A number of say "25" could easily be mistaken for the IQ of the sharp suited driver.

Trying to convince the public you have more cars than you really have is a deceit and a lie.

For a member of an industry which for many reasons have been trying to mitigate this image surely this does not help. If they can do this over the amount of cars they how r easily can they do this with prices. My recent experience with them is, They have 48 cars when they really have 15 and they are trying to sell me a garage which they told the vendor to ask £20000 when a very similar garage was sold only days before for £8000. They must be costing unwitting customers a fortune by their deception and apparently harmless marketing ploys and of course contributing to ridiculous property prices.

wheresmyfoxhole

as far as pricing goes, the value is what someone is prepared to pay... and pricing is done to maximise the revenue to vendor for whom the agent is working. this will not change.

i have no idea whether the garage was priced correctly or not. i am uncertain how accurate your info is re: the sold garage. but that is between the vendor and agent and no-one else (if it sells for "top money" then the agent was right, if it sells for less than it's worth or does not sell then the agent has priced it wrong - unless of course the vendor has set the price against the EAs advice).

back to these car numbers though... when you see a formula 1 car with 36 on it do you assume that the team has 36 cars? when trainspotting does 648579 on the side of a train mean the company has over 600,000 trains? when watching football does 34 on a players back mean that the team is playing with at least 34 players rather than the normal 11?

you have a rather simplistic way of looking at things.

FF

5 years ago I thought i had an ingrowing toe-nail but i didn't.

Well I did, and it hurt like hell.

Still gives my gip, in fact.

Trying to convince the public you have more cars than you really have is a deceit and a lie.

For a member of an industry which for many reasons have been trying to mitigate this image surely this does not help. If they can do this over the amount of cars they how r easily can they do this with prices. My recent experience with them is, They have 48 cars when they really have 15 and they are trying to sell me a garage which they told the vendor to ask £20000 when a very similar garage was sold only days before for £8000. They must be costing unwitting customers a fortune by their deception and apparently harmless marketing ploys and of course contributing to ridiculous property prices.

Well if it's priced too high no-one will buy it, will they?

Some of you talk as though the price of property is fixed by malevolent EAs. It is a market, and houses sell for what people are willing to pay.

Father Fred

I am the caretaker of the premises where these garages are I know personally the owners of both. The other residents whose garages are also on the estate are just as aware of how much this dreadful estate agent is trying to ramp up the value. It also has an effect as people do start to believe that property is worth more than it is, and the freeholder and sub landlords can start thinking in charging at these arbitrary prices.

The figure of £20 K was proposed by an outsider with no history of the property. I don’t think he is aware that there are no parking problems in my area, unlike in Hove where it is possible to place a brick box garage for 20k

I just wish they and others like them would just F off and leave us alone.

That’s it C O people are not willing to pay so the stupid EA man can waste his money advertising it for ever serves him right for thinking he can change the world with his crap minis

scan.jpg

post-1893-1150202031.jpg

That’s it C O people are not willing to pay so the stupid EA man can waste his money advertising it for ever serves him right for thinking he can change the world with his crap minis

Not sure whether that was supposed to be sarcastic, but it's a pretty accurate synopsis.

He can ask £1million for it if he likes - and if someone pays it, then that is its value

After all my moralising to Father Fred and all, I can’t believe it, but some pra**t is paying full asking price for that brick box, with no water no electricity and is no good for anything but to stand a car in.

But, least God willing I shall be present when he moves in to give him the news that the one three doors away changed hand four weeks ago for £8000 just over one third of the price. If you are interested in what sort of person is the one who is prepared to what ever he is asked I will report and give you full description. If we can establish a stereotype we’ll know who to look for when want to sell overpriced crap

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

Where I live the tossers (no offence) show you little graphs showing how many For Sale boards and Sold boards they have up and what proportion of the total they have.

The message is either:

We're the biggest, therefore the most successful.

Or, we've got the highest proportion of Sold to For Sale - i.e. we may not be the biggest, but we are the best.

The biggest agent around here was prosecuted some time ago by Trading Standards for this very offence. (Sold signs outside the director's houses). There is only one word for trying to win instructions in this way and that word is 'fraud'.

No it is plain deception. This company has already been publicly berated for fly posting sold boards and leaving them up over their proper time. I’ve reported them myself for placing sold boards on places where there was not previously a for sale one.

In other words, you're a self-confessed nutter.

Today's Tip: Worry about something worth worrying about.

Edited by brassfarthing

wheresmyfoxhole

as far as pricing goes, the value is what someone is prepared to pay...

FF

The value is what somebody is able to borrow, to be able to pay for it. As we know this is something that is easily manipulated at the moment.

It came to light this week during the sale of my mother's 3-bed semi, that the EA's colluded so that an ex-EA could view first and get the property at asking price - despite there being a huge amount of interest and the possibility of going to bids. They told her it wouldn't sell for more. They even squirmed their way out of putting a board up so as not to attract interest. W**kers.

Thankfully my mother's not a fool, so her conversation with them yesterday was quite entertaining. :D

We had another EA in called Gareth - wannabe young gun in pin stripes who thought he was god's gift, but a bit of a laughing stock TBH. Seems that EA's really do live up to their stereotype. :o

I'm surprised Foxton's is still going after being exposed on Whistleblower.

Yep. They have a massive recruitment drive going as well at the moment it appears..:

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/foxtons/careers/s...negotiator.html

shocking when you know what the role really consists of.

...You get a "Full training programme" for learning how to do document forgeries. :o