House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Noisy Parrots Next Door

Hi,

Can someone offer advice on this please?

For 4 or 5 months I have been woken very early in the morning by, at first, what I assumed was a high-pitched alarm clock. It would chirp repeatedly and intermittently, almost like an alarm clock with a snooze function.

It now turns out to be two parrot type birds, parrots of unknown species, owned by my next door neighbour. The earlier the Sun has risen the earlier the noise begins.

I have had trouble with him in recent months as on several occasions he has opened his rear door, sat in front of his hi-fi apparently drunk, and played loud music anywhere from 1AM till 3.30AM. The first time I politely confronted him about this he denied it but eventually it ended up in an argument at about 3AM one morning and I told him how stressed he was making me. Basically, when I went to bed at night I had no idea whether I would get a good night's sleep or not. It has got to the point where I have not slept for the last few nights as I am anticipating being awoken by this twerping.

This chap is a self-employed garderner of sorts and his work appears very intermittent. I do a stressful job and need to be able to chill out and, most importantly, sleep so I can get up and go to work. Now, when I go to bed I am unsure whether I will be awoken by his music and then I know I will be woken by his bloody bird sometime around, or about an hour, before dawn. This 'chirping' then goes on for most of the morning.

Btw, by 'chirping' I mean an annoying high pitched sound as if someone has an electronic alarm clock going next to your ear for hours on end. Ironically, many other birds in nearby trees start chirping away when the Sun begins to rise but their chirping is not annoying - I think this is because the noise is not as high-pitched and not so 'uniform' if you see what I mean.

I was going to contact the Council but surely this bird noise is not loud enough for their decibel machines to register whilst actually being a very stressful thing to actually live next door to.

I have spoken to other people who live in the house with this chap - it is flats - and they are equally as annoyed by them but do not wish to make a fuss. They also were annoyed when he plays loud music in the middle of the night, (One told me that one time when he did this recently one of our other neighbours was banging on the front door in the middle of the night but got no answer.), but, again, they do not wish to do anything. It has got to the point that when I am awoken now early in the morning I end up doing DIY with my hammer on the skirting boards between my house and his... but the stress of having no sleep is now unbearable.

Anyone have any constructive advice on what to do?

Thanks,

TMT.

Tulip, go straight to your local Council and start the ASBO process on your idiot neighbour. Either that, or get a pair of motorcycle forks, weld them together and hang them under your arm like a gamekeeper. He won't know the difference.

MT

You know you’ve just opened up a plethora of punning posters.

You can apply for an ASBO on the birds.

Look out Muttley's about

Coicindentally, the local environmental health dept just knocked on my front door wanting to know whether I have an HMO or not... so I went into a rant about which houses were HMO and which ones were owner-occupier in the road, how the owners pay council tax and the others do not but the roadno longer seems to get any services. I am knackered this morning and cannot do any work as I am so tied - I fell asleep sometime around 7.30 and just woke up now about 10.30 so that is my day wrecked as a result of this sod.

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried ear-plugs but they are both uncomfortable, don't always work and, something I did not know prior to this, are quite difficult to fall asleep wearing as the brain is apparently used to listening to ambient noise due to our caveman days - on alert and that kind of thing. Apparently you can wake up just as knackered wearing ear-plugs as your brain 'struggles' more because all sound is blotted out.

Having said that, I am about to go to my local chemist to buy yet another large box of wax ear-plugs.

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried ear-plugs but they are both uncomfortable, don't always work and, something I did not know prior to this, are quite difficult to fall asleep wearing as the brain is apparently used to listening to ambient noise due to our caveman days - on alert and that kind of thing. Apparently you can wake up just as knackered wearing ear-plugs as your brain 'struggles' more because all sound is blotted out.

Having said that, I am about to go to my local chemist to buy yet another large box of wax ear-plugs.

What about having some background ambient sounds? Waves, birds (not parrots :lol: ) etc?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

If the council take action they should insist the cage is covered until a reasonable hour. This will subdue the birds and although active and feeding will not use very loud calling more like chattering among themselves.

You should be thankful he does not own one of the large species of cockatoo. :rolleyes: I owned a GSC for 28 years who now is enjoying his later years at The National Parrot Sanctuary. He would screech for 2 minutes 3 times a day which could be heard a quarter of a mile away. The neighours had no complaint about him and missed him when he went.

When my dad worked on the Palace Pier in Brighton years ago, the photographer had a parrot as a prop. He asked my dad to look after it whilst he went away to America for a while. As soon as the bloke walked out the door and had gone this parrot started shouting and wouldn’t stop. We had to put a cloth over his cage so it thought was time for bed. It was so loud it upset our neighbours. My mum overheard the bloke over the back say “They’ve got a f****ing parrot now”

Guest Charlie The Tramp

My mum overheard the bloke over the back say “They’ve got a f****ing parrot now”

Prior to that were you a problem family then. :P

I messaged a few parrot ngs and people posted back that parrots can impersonate high-pitched alarm clocks and become a right ruddy nuisance. Also, one person said that parrots need 10 hours sleep and should be covered for 12 hours a day. The same person said that if they do not get enough sleep they become stressed - flipping STRESSED - and then start making noises.

It is not a squawk but, well, it sounds like a high-pitched alarm clock so the bird has learnt that from somewhere.

Prior to that were you a problem family then. :P

This is the second time I’ve bored you with that story Charlie. We had a similar discussion on the nostalgia sick as a parrot thread.

You’re right that conclusion is what upset my mum. You know what mums were like then. He was lucky he didn’t get chinned the b*****t

Guest muttley

Here's what to do.

Keep a diary, and write down everytime you are disturbed by the parrots.Record the times you are awoken and the severity of the noise.You will need to keep records for up to a month.

You should also plot a line on a piece of paper with the x-axis as time, and the y-axis as severity of noise.

Next, you should contact your local council and explain your problem. Show them the diary, and explain that you consider the disturbances to be unreasonable.

If your neighbour denies that the parrots are causing a nuisance, then show the council the results from the Polly Graph.

If your neighbour denies that the parrots are causing a nuisance, then show the council the results from the Polly Graph.

:lol: good one :lol:

Here's what to do.

Keep a diary, and write down everytime you are disturbed by the parrots.Record the times you are awoken and the severity of the noise.You will need to keep records for up to a month.

You should also plot a line on a piece of paper with the x-axis as time, and the y-axis as severity of noise.

Next, you should contact your local council and explain your problem. Show them the diary, and explain that you consider the disturbances to be unreasonable.

Don't say I didn't warn you MT

(Titter)

Thanks for the advice.

Don't buy the wax ones, they are best for blocking the sound but are hard and very uncomfortable to sleep with. I can't sleep without ear plugs, haven't been able to for 20 years or so, therefore I have tried them all.

The best ones at the moment are Foam ones from Boots, 6 in a pack for about £2.50 and keep their shape for a good week or so (thats another problem with the wax ones). They block most sound out, they are good because they are the same thickness all the way down, a lot of others tend to get smaller at the end which never seem to do the job.

As for covering birds, I used to keep Zebra Finch and they were really noisy. I tried to cover them once and you would have thought the world was going to end with all the noise they started making.

Guest muttley

You could get a tin of expanding foam,

that might help... :)

Polly Filla?

I had the foam ones when I worked nights but they used to keep falling out.

Oooh,, I’ve had that trouble, dear. They behave just like the kids on school holiday `You just can’t keep them in, can you?’

Strangely, my wife’s have been dropping out lately, because we have been having the air conditioner on at night. She has to engage my assistance, as the cat chasses them in the bed. These people who have only got Quaker parrots to contend with, don’t know they’ve lived.

Yes the air conditioner, another disappointment. When I first saw them I thought Ah! I’ll be able to sleep on hot summer nights. I didn’t reckon on the noise, 55 Db half the volume of a Kango.

Don’t tell me Charlie, you got one as a bargain last year.

Thanks for the advice all... even the jokes...

The sod has been away fro 4 days now.. the Council have not been back in touch (About to shout at my local Councillor when I see him next)... and as this guy has been away for 4 days in this hot weather I called the RSPCA this morning... who, to be blunt, did not sound that interested... I am, again, stressed out and feel knackered...

Guest muttley

Thanks for the advice all... even the jokes...

The sod has been away fro 4 days now.. the Council have not been back in touch (About to shout at my local Councillor when I see him next)... and as this guy has been away for 4 days in this hot weather I called the RSPCA this morning... who, to be blunt, did not sound that interested... I am, again, stressed out and feel knackered...

Actually, the bit about I posted about the diary is probably a good idea. In your case, it is not the noise level, but the frequency and time of the noise that is unreasonable. Have you tried Citizens Advice?

Alternatively, get a cat.