House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Gordon Brown's Uk Is Now Sick Man Of Europe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...6/11/do1103.xml

It is when you take a closer look at the People's Republic of Britain that the absurdity of Mr Brown's trans-atlantic rhetoric is laid bare. The most that can be said is that in financial terms, Britain has become Mini-me to America's Dr Evil.
Like the US, the UK has experienced a debt-propelled consumption boom.
Household debt has grown at an accelerating pace since 1997 and now exceeds a trillion pounds. But since the housing market cooled in the second half of 2004, the economy has sagged.
The other source of growth in Brown's Britain has been public spending. Real Government spending in the UK has surged since 1999 at an average rate of nearly 5 per cent a year. Significantly, nearly a third of all the increase in employment since 1997 has been in the public sector.
As in the US, this splurge has been financed partly by Government deficits. And, like the US, the UK also has a large current account deficit, because imports have grown faster than exports.
Yet in the case of the US, these vices are in large measure compensated for by the underlying vitality of America's entrepreneurs and workers. Can the same be said for the UK? The answer is a resounding no
Superficially, to be sure, the British labour market is more flexible than, say, the French. But British Government statistics are deceptive.
Officially, only 920,000 people claim unemployment benefits. However, more than five million adults of working age - nearly 15 per cent of the workforce - depend on benefits, and nearly half of them have been on welfare for more than five years.
The reason they don't show up in the statistics is that many of them are counted as unfit for work rather than jobless. Every day, 23 teenagers in Britain sign up for incapacity benefit.
This reflects a crisis of public education as much as of public health. As the OECD points out, an exceptionally large share of British pupils leave school without qualifications, twice the proportion doing so in Germany and France. One in six British adults lacks the literacy skills of an 11-year-old. It may be technically correct that the incapacitated are not unemployed. The reality is that they are unemployable.
Nor do employed Britons rate very highly in international comparisons. In terms of productivity, Britain lags behind not only the United States and Germany, but also France and even Italy.

As Wareen Buffett has pointed out, who will be wearing their swim suit when the tide goes out? A nice anology of who will survive the current world-wide credit bubble correction. Gordon has very little to fall back on EXCEPT high house prices and that era is over for a decade or more.

As a Brit living in Belgium for the last nearly 7 years I've "been told" over and over again how great the UK economy is... funny that really as most of my friends seem to be in huge amounts of debt (consumer + property) and yet I look around at my friends over here and we're all doing just fine thanks despite TB/GB saying Europe sucks. :)

As a Brit living in Belgium for the last nearly 7 years I've "been told" over and over again how great the UK economy is... funny that really as most of my friends seem to be in huge amounts of debt (consumer + property) and yet I look around at my friends over here and we're all doing just fine thanks despite TB/GB saying Europe sucks. :)

Ah, come on - Belgium is THE gravy train capital of Europe. Belgium has two industries.... expensive truffles and the EU.

Belgiums have been laughing all the way to the bank since the formation of the EU and vast numbers of ridiculously highly paid jobs located in, um, Belgium and mostly staffed by, um, Belgiums. If the EU did not exist the Flemish would all be reliant on their truffle making skills and their somewhat dubious sexual interests. :o

Gordon could take a leaf out of this gentleman's book and pass wind when bloated:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/26599

He could light it with a match and cause a major terrorist alert with the explosion.

No doubt some coppers would barge in a shoot him in the shoulder and then blame their gloves for being too thick.

They might even shoot him in the ass and blame his ass for being too thick.

We would have that Indian bird from Liberty taking about the freedom to pass wind without fear of being shot on the telly.

:lol:

Ah, come on - Belgium is THE gravy train capital of Europe. Belgium has two industries.... expensive truffles and the EU.

Belgiums have been laughing all the way to the bank since the formation of the EU and vast numbers of ridiculously highly paid jobs located in, um, Belgium and mostly staffed by, um, Belgiums. If the EU did not exist the Flemish would all be reliant on their truffle making skills and their somewhat dubious sexual interests. :o

Belgians!

Belgium is a country... in the same way you are not an "England". :rolleyes:

But then you're clearly not aware of anything that goes on inside Belgium, and if you think a 16k job (Sterling) at the commission is well paid then frankly I feel sorry for you.

Blimey, first RB article I have actually agreed with. This is the problem with the UK, we don't really seem to have a policy but hot air instead and mixed up ideas.

But still, what are the chances they will win the next election? Considering how obedient the UK voters are and how willing they are to part with their hard earned money to prop up this welfare state scenario, I wouldn't discount it.

Ha-ha! Vote for the man that piled taxes on them and ruined their pensions, you couldn't make it up!

Blimey, first RB article I have actually agreed with. This is the problem with the UK, we don't really seem to have a policy but hot air instead and mixed up ideas.

But still, what are the chances they will win the next election? Considering how obedient the UK voters are and how willing they are to part with their hard earned money to prop up this welfare state scenario, I wouldn't discount it.

Ha-ha! Vote for the man that piled taxes on them and ruined their pensions, you couldn't make it up!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gordon Brown is over INFLATED.

I had paid the dithering stuipid ar*e quite well to govern the economy of this country...

and I have been in contact with the labour party about his removal for three years now..

They now ignore me ;)

well I am a sanctimonous ars*

No avail..

maybe one day some enterprising soul will charge him with treason for all of this and hang him..

that would be a party day..

When Taken in context Gordon and Tony have done a marvelous job.

Both of them are devout Scotts.

They have managed to charge British Students, and got the British Taxpayer to fund Scottish Students. They have managed to increase the charity payments from Britain to Scotland, they managed to install PC legislation in the UK designed to turn the middle classes into criminals yet have not introduced the same in Scotland.

They have managed to sell off all British Assets, offshore British Jobs, and take Britain into an illegal war knowing that revenge will fall on the Capital City, namely London.

So from their persepctive, themselves and their fellow Scotts in the Cabinet have had a fantastic success.

When Taken in context Gordon and Tony have done a marvelous job.

Both of them are devout Scotts.

They have managed to charge British Students, and got the British Taxpayer to fund Scottish Students. They have managed to increase the charity payments from Britain to Scotland, they managed to install PC legislation in the UK designed to turn the middle classes into criminals yet have not introduced the same in Scotland.

They have managed to sell off all British Assets, offshore British Jobs, and take Britain into an illegal war knowing that revenge will fall on the Capital City, namely London.

So from their persepctive, themselves and their fellow Scotts in the Cabinet have had a fantastic success.

first of all Tony Blair may be a lot of things but he is not a jock. Secondly just which country are you referring to when you say Britain...??

first of all Tony Blair may be a lot of things but he is not a jock. Secondly just which country are you referring to when you say Britain...??

Blair was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, the second son of Leo and Hazel Blair (née Corscadden). Leo Blair was the illegitimate son of two English actors, Charles Parsons and Mary Augusta Ridgway Bridson, whilst Hazel Corscadden's family were Protestants from County Donegal, Ireland. He has one elder brother, William Blair, whom is a QC

Yes Blair is Scottish the English are now second class citizens under his leadership.

Belgians!

Belgium is a country... in the same way you are not an "England". :rolleyes:

But then you're clearly not aware of anything that goes on inside Belgium, and if you think a 16k job (Sterling) at the commission is well paid then frankly I feel sorry for you.

Wouls sooner live in Belgium then the UK at the present time.

As soon as the English get round to voting for independance the better imho. If you look at the best places to live in the world they are all nothern european countries with a small population. Norway, Sweden, Denamark, Ireland. Hopefully Scotland would follow. I am currently hoping for a move to Norway.