House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ollie plimsolls

Goods Import Prices Rise At Fastest Rate For Decade

Not seen this posted yet.

ft.com

For most of the past decade, imported goods have been getting cheaper as low cost manufacturing countries including China have expanded their share of world markets. That trend of declining import prices now seems to be over and import prices are currently pushing inflation.

This doesn't bode too well for IR decreases then does it.

China's biggest export, that being consumer goods deflation, it at an end.

Doesn't bode well for taxes or the service sector either, in light of low wage inflation people have been able to manage massive council tax and utility inflation only because imported tat was delfating, thus consumption could give up its proportion of the pie to taxable waste.

Edited by BuyingBear

Doesn't bode well for taxes or the service sector either, in light of low wage inflation people have been able to manage massive council tax and utility inflation only because imported tat was delfating, thus consumption could give up its proportion of the pie to taxable waste.

as is cheap money . . . . .from Japan and elsewhere.

Guest Alright Jack

Do us all a favour and get rid of that f*ing GAY avatar.

Do you ever find yourself furtively glancing sideways at urinals, AJ?

It's OK.

You're really quite base aren't you, but sorry, I don't swing that way. Maybe you could go for a wonder around Clapham Common or something, I'm sure there's one or more lib-dems that will interest you.

Edited by BuyingBear

You're really quite base aren't you, but sorry, I don't swing that way. Maybe you could go for a wonder around Clapham Common or something, I'm sure there's one or more lib-dems that will interest you.

who is it of?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Not to worry BB, my new avatar will distract attention away from yours.

Not to worry BB, my new avatar will distract attention away from yours.

Mmmm, he's gorgeou - I mean, uh! Another bloody gayboy avatar.

The Daily Mail Financial section reported that interest rates world-wide are going up.

I did wash my hands after reading the paper.

To get this thread back on track this report surprises me.

If annual price inflation of importd goods is running at 3.6% and internal inflation in services etc inside the UK is running at more than this figure, then how can our CPI be 2.5% it doesnt seem to make sense.

There would need to be a large shift towards buying more imported goods which would be bad for the trade deficit but that doesnt seem to have happened.

It does look like this cannot go on for much longer and when it does our CPI would be running at a minimum of 3.6% and that is if its made up completely of DVD players.

If annual price inflation of importd goods is running at 3.6% and internal inflation in services etc inside the UK is running at more than this figure, then how can our CPI be 2.5% it doesnt seem to make sense.

Only if our domestic water, gas, electricity and service bills are falling in price! I think you'll find the new ONS model assumes the deflating cost of broadband accounts for 75% of household expenditure, something crooked it going on.

The BoE always hits its inflation target, it's amazing, it's as if Merv always rolls straight sixes.