House Price Crash Forum

Why The Fall?

HOLA441

Attached is a link to prices in Harrogate

And here's one for Wetherby

In particular I am interested in the detached prices.

Now of course, the fall could be down to a change in mix, but that didn't happen last year and anyway, why would people suddenly stop buying more expensive houses if the market was booming?

Would one of the bulls please explain to me why these figures look strong?

HOLA442

Be careful with these stats. If they are based on LR, then a lot of paper work for completions in March could still be sitting in some clerk's LR out-tray.

Also, when did whatsit.co.uk get its last db update. I only trust LR stats for 6 months ago.

If they aren't based on LR, then they look quite nice.

HOLA443

Now of course, the fall could be down to a change in mix, but that didn't happen last year and anyway, why would people suddenly stop buying more expensive houses if the market was booming?

Both good areas full of people with common sense and respect for money.

(not many sheeple here).

Plus the fact Yorkshire folk are traditionally as tight as a ducks @rse. :o

Result: they will not pay x amount for a property just because it’s the in thing to do.

Thus prices fall. B)

Coming to an area near you soon. ;)

HOLA444

I'm sure IMupMyself will have a good explanation, although he couldn't tell me why Harrogate was down 9% yoy according to the halifax last month :blink:

HOLA445

The sample size is far too small to be meaningful.

HOLA446

Both good areas full of people with common sense and respect for money.

(not many sheeple here).

Plus the fact Yorkshire folk are traditionally as tight as a ducks @rse. :o

Er, maybe those tightarse Yorkshire puddings have overpaid in the past as opposed to being thrifty and the supply of new muppets or cheaper money has slowed...... - this is the "Golden Triangle", which is not something special by Dairylea, it's supposedly the hotspot for W and N Yorkshire where prices have risen most......

HOLA447
HOLA448

Well you can definitely see the effect of the August IR cut in those figs, but purely from anecdotal evidence as I work in the area, asking prices aren't falling. Semis - the lifeblood of most suburb have stayed level, and the cheapest stuff - terraces and flats are still on the up.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

You mean that volumes are falling too?

NoDumSunReader suggests that when volumes fall, prices rise...

Shurely shome mishtake....

Graphs can indicate anything you want them to. Have you actually tried to buy a place in these areas.?

I would wager large time that you won't get a property for less than 3 grand below the asking price

HOLA4411

Have always said the house price drop will come from the top.

Sometimes the average working person has too much money tied up in their property, and if the growth is not there, as what is happening now, what have they got to lose by cutting any more potential loss/ costs, and buy to give them a higher disposable income and a better quality of life.

HOLA4412

You mean that volumes are falling too?

NoDumSunReader suggests that when volumes fall, prices rise...

Shurely shome mishtake....

I can't speak for nodumsunreader, but I've mused on this before. Here's my take on it, but I may be entirely wrong!

It could well be that initially when volumes fall, it's because few pepole want to pay the asking prices for property in the area, except people with more money (than sense). So average prices rise - fewer houses shifted, but the ones that do are relatively expensive. If the trend continues, I assume there would eventually be actual price falls.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Spoke with a local agent today. She said all the mortgages they were doing were around the £200 to £300k mark. I think with limited stock on ( showing on that graph transactions are down), coupled with people maxing out on the interest only mortgages this is keeping the market going.

All stems from the August rate cut. :ph34r:

Now if interest rates go up this really could be messy and Harrogate could be hard hit.!!

HOLA4416