House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gel

Well...i've Had My House Valued...

Remember I was considering going STR?

Here is the house (Price is just to test the responses so no piss takers or dodgy phone calls)

The House

I've had it valued:

Your Move - £200k

Mann and Co - £179k

Martins - £170k

Ward and Partners - £190k

Halifax - £180k

Link Up - £190k

Gould and Harrison - £180k

Geering and Colyer - Tomorrow

According to many of them prices in Ashford, Kent are going extremely well, most places go within 4 weeks max and there is more demand than supply. Regarding the lower valuations all of the 180k+ valuers were kind enough to point out that anyone could sell this house at that price and that they were undervalued. Which I believe. The guy from Link up is the boss of one of my friends and I trust her at least lol.

Commission charged on these figures are a typical 1.5% however link up are offering it to me at 1.25%

IMO the prices down here are cheap compared to other areas anyway but as some pointed out, houses that were bought last year for 170 were sold this year for 200

On this basis I asked if I should stay put another year. He said it was a good idea however interest rates are on the up and that limits people purchasing power.

First time buyers are drying up though with parents having to remortgage their own homes to help their kids get on the ladder, now appears to be the age of the second time buyer...the equity increase of the first time buyers of 2001-02 now enabling them to move up.

Edited by Gel

Alert!

This is an important post as it gives an insight into the seller's perspective.

Now some important questions, given that your house hasn't hit the market yet, could you answer the following questions honestly:

1. What would you really accept as a very first offer in the first week of marketing to take the property off the market period?

2. Based on the valuation, what do you think you are confident getting?

3. Did you do any compaison as to actual sold prices (proviser, mouseprice, etc.)? Note that mouse price has a price predictor, which isn't bad.

4. As a seller, would it make any difference if someone tried to convince you that prices are well, over-priced, or that the EA has maybe over valued?

5. Do you really care who buys your house as long as you get the right price?

6. What did you think of the variety of valuations?

Edited by dev

Remember I was considering going STR?

Here is the house (Price is just to test the responses so no piss takers or dodgy phone calls)

The House

I've had it valued:

Your Move - £200k

Mann and Co - £179k

Martins - £170k

Halifax - £180k

Link Up - £190k

According to many of them prices in Ashford, Kent are going extremely well, most places go within 4 weeks max and there is more demand than supply. Regarding the lower valuations all of the 180k+ valuers were kind enough to point out that anyone could sell this house at that price and that they were undervalued. Which I believe. The guy from Link up is the boss of one of my friends and I trust her at least lol.

Commission charged on these figures are a typical 1.5% however link up are offering it to me at 1.25%

IMO the prices down here are cheap compared to other areas anyway but as some pointed out, houses that were bought last year for 170 were sold this year for 200

On this basis I asked if I should stay put another year. He said it was a good idea however interest rates are on the up and that limits people purchasing power.

First time buyers are drying up though with parents having to remortgage their own homes to help their kids get on the ladder, now appears to be the age of the second time buyer...the equity increase of the first time buyers of 2001-02 now enabling them to move up.

With respect Gel, is posting your home address and mobile number on an internet forum really a wise move? :blink:

1. What would you really accept as a very first offer in the first week of marketing to take the property off the market period?

For the first week? About 190k... but like I say I don't expect to sell it quickly if I sell it at all....I never said I was ACTUALLY going to sell it.

2. Based on the valuation, what do you think you are confident getting?

£190, £185 without the contents.

3. Did you do any compaison as to actual sold prices (proviser, mouseprice, etc.)? Note that mouse price has a price predictor, which isn't bad. No, I didn't.

4. As a seller, would it make any difference if someone tried to convince you that prices are well, over-priced, or that the EA has maybe over valued? No, if I was a typical sheeple then yes but as I have had more than one valuation and I am close to someone who is an EA. I did have an hour long discussion with the EA's that came, I threw all sorts at them about the economy etc.

5. Do you really care who buys your house as long as you get the right price?

No, I don't. Business is business. Life isn't fair and people need to get used to it.

If, however there was a selction of buyers I would take their ability as a buyer and their status into account.

I would rather see it sold as a home than an investment opportunity.

6. What did you think of the variety of valuations?

Some were blatanty priced to sell ASAP, the 200k one was way too much and was just to get me on the books and into a long contract.

The 180k - 190k mark I am happy with as it was the most consistent.

I will go with the 190k for now as the market appears fairly boyant, if there is not interest in a fortnight I'll drop the price accordingly.

@ Europa...Don't worry dear, it's only a mobile :)

Edited by Gel

Your house has an asking price the same as this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-103...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Just looking at the pictures and descriptions, the above house looks better than yours. I don't know the area, but it's within 1/2 mile of yours. How would you defend your property as being the better deal?

This one is 50K cheaper. Though, from looking at the pictures, I prefer yours. But how to you claim that yours is worth 50K more?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-946...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Note, these are genuine, rather than rhetorical questions. I'm interested in hearing more of your reasoning.

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

Your house has an asking price the same as this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-103...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Note, these are genuine, rather than rhetorical questions. I'm interested in hearing more of your reasoning.

Billy Shears

As much as it is detached it's in a bad area, notice the clapped out caravan down the side?

You can walk into mine and not have anything to do, if I went in there I would have to redecorate etc and IMO it's a bloody mess.

Just around the back from there is Stanhope (No Hope) estates and you can buy 4 bed terraces there for £140k

Halifax value that at 195k but mine at 180k but I actually like mine more, plus that price does include the goods and chattles.

This one is 50K cheaper. Though, from looking at the pictures, I prefer yours. But how to you claim that yours is worth 50K more?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-946...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Billy Shears

Sorry only saw the first link, the other is a town house and that is a bad area.

As it's Dillinger Scott then I imagine that its overpriced as well.

Thing is my place isn't overlooked, the surrounding houses have the elderly in and folks really don't like those houses. Bloody awfuly things that don't even look like a house :)

The way they are built is that there are maybe 6-10 like that all joined together.

My ex actually bought one 4 months ago for 130k as she wanted to 'Keep within the living she was used to' when she moved out.

The people who owned it are also taking the carpets, curtains and fish pond with them!

Edited by Gel

Ladder? :lol:

The rungs are so wide now - the 'ladder' doesn't exist anymore

Only buyers are going to be those moving 'sideways'

Edited by dnd

Yeah, but for what reason? :lol:

The good members on this forum of course hahaha :D

Now at 153

Edited by Gel

I find it interesting that kent is around the same price as the midlands, i thought houses were supposed to be more expensive down south?

also whats happened to the price of flats in ashford? very BMV atm, only one flat showing as sold in april, and that sold for 10k!!!!

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=Ashfo...+Kent+flat&n=10

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...n=ashford&all=1

Edited by moosetea

whats happened to the price of flats in ashford? very BMV atm....

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...n=ashford&all=1

I find it interesting that kent is around the same price as the midlands, i thought houses were supposed to be more expensive down south?

There's loads of empty flats around here being sat on as far as I can tell.

Mainly new builds though, Singleton Hill is two minutes away from me and they are building the final phase at demontfort park.

Like I said, Ashford is fairly cheap seeing as Krusty said it was one of the top 5 places in the UK to live :)

Go to Maidstone etc and the prices shoot up to silly money...and it's much nicer here too

Edited by Gel

Guest grumpy-old-man

There's loads of empty flats around here being sat on as far as I can tell.

Mainly new builds though, Singleton Hill is two minutes away from me and they are building the final phase at demontfort park.

Like I said, Ashford is fairly cheap seeing as Krusty said it was one of the top 5 places in the UK to live :)

Go to Maidstone etc and the prices shoot up to silly money...and it's much nicer here too

Gel, the internal pics of your house are very nice. Is that real wood flooring or very good quality clicky stuff, either way it looks very nice.

my wife said to thank your wife for the colour schemes & design ;) , good luck with your sale.

I would also say that 1/2 a mile can make a difference in price, even next door can.

when we spoke to our estate agent to see if he thought our valuation was ok (we swapped agents btw), he looked up our neighbours house price (purchased 3 months earlier for 205k).....ours was valued at 250k (we accepted 235k), he suggested we reduce it to 210k :blink:

the house next door was a lot smaller footprint from the builder, single garage (ours was double) & we had a huge conservatory (not our addition, & in truth far too big for the property, 25 foot x 17 foot at a cost of 25k), & the other property required a new kitchen, bathroom & needed full decoration........

the moral of the story, don't just go on how many bedrooms it has.

I also got people stating that they could buy a 5 bedroomed detached for the same price in another estate only 6 miles away.......my respone (& I kid you not), "well go and buy it then" :lol:

I never said I was ACTUALLY going to sell it.

So you're a time waster?

HIPs will put a stop to that!

Gel, the internal pics of your house are very nice. Is that real wood flooring or very good quality clicky stuff, either way it looks very nice.

my wife said to thank your wife for the colour schemes & design

Thank you, it's actually the clicky stuff from Ikea and my wife never had an input into the design and decor...in fact she didn't input much at all which is why I divorced her :)

So you're a time waster?

HIPs will put a stop to that!

Oh god no I intend to sell before HIPS come in, remember what it did to the dutch market?

Edited by Gel

Quite frankly Gel that dosen't say anything to recomend either place :lol: says Mr Boring from Tunbridge Wells!

Actually - If Ashford gets the "fast link to London" i.e. able to use the new Eurostar network - prices will shoot up.

Quite frankly Gel that dosen't say anything to recomend either place :lol: says Mr Boring from Tunbridge Wells!

Actually - If Ashford gets the "fast link to London" i.e. able to use the new Eurostar network - prices will shoot up.

Well they did say this but then again so will the train ticket

I think that this is one of the most pertenant topics on the board. It specifically covers how the EA and seller set the asking price, and what the seller's expectations are.

I think that this thread has lost its original edge due to some of the replys on questioning the actual price of this property, and whether the seller is a time waster or not.

That's a bit irrelevant because the EA are confident in getting 180 for this property. The seller is not a time waster because the information given is important, and everybody on this board should read this thread because it so important to understand how price expectations are set.

Rude bit comming: if you don't think that this thread is important then I think you are hopelessly in deniel as to how a correction could occur.

Again: you need to be getting our there doing something, watching the market, perhaps even doing some viewing, talking to vendors, etc. etc. Get out there, waiting is not pro-active.

Just around the back from there is Stanhope (No Hope) estates and you can buy 4 bed terraces there for £140k

I know the stanhope est. what a shithole..

Not been there for year's, and it was bad then. Have they finnished pulling the flats down yet?

I know the stanhope est. what a shithole..

Not been there for year's, and it was bad then. Have they finnished pulling the flats down yet?

Only one block has come down so its better than before...but not by much lol

No. What happened?

Apparently prices crashed 30% and only recovered when the NL gov pulled the idea.

I've had it valued:

Your Move - £200k

Mann and Co - £179k

Martins - £170k

Halifax - £180k

Link Up - £190k

I know the area very well, I lived about 150 yards from the second house (had a Fire Engine parked outside for years).

With all due respect while I agree that the area is crap, your house is in just as crap an area.

Prices have been pretty static in Ashford in the last 18-24 months since I sold, you can ask the estate agents, I'll believe the actual figures.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...code=TN23&year=

I sold No. 15 for £165 and that was after it had been on the market for 5-6 months.

In terms of prices from Estate agents I had a similar set of quotes, Rightmove were way off the mark. Most came in around the £179k mark to sell for £175k, didn't shift so dropped it and put it back on for £170k and sold for £165k. There have been 3 or 4 other houses in that road that came onto the market "testing the water" at £180k and £190k both failed to sell and were taken off.

Your problem will be that there are thousands of houses in Ashford and most of them in much better areas than South Ashford.

To be fair it looks like a nice house and I think worth £160k at current rates but I wouldn't buy it in the location it is.

I STR'd moved back to London and saved £600 in train fair and saved 4 hours a day in travelling, Ashford is just too far out from a time and cost perspective and despite all the talk there are no decent jobs.

Edited by gilf

I know the area very well, I lived about 150 yards from the second house (had a Fire Engine parked outside for years).

With all due respect while I agree that the area is crap, your house is in just as crap an area.

Prices have been pretty static in Ashford in the last 18-24 months since I sold, you can ask the estate agents, I'll believe the actual figures.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...code=TN23&year=

I sold No. 15 for £165 and that was after it had been on the market for 5-6 months.

In terms of prices from Estate agents I had a similar set of quotes, Rightmove were way off the mark. Most came in around the £179k mark to sell for £175k, didn't shift so dropped it and put it back on for £170k and sold for £165k. There have been 3 or 4 other houses in that road that came onto the market "testing the water" at £180k and £190k both failed to sell and were taken off.

Your problem will be that there are thousands of houses in Ashford and most of them in much better areas than South Ashford.

To be fair it looks like a nice house and I think worth £160k at current rates but I wouldn't buy it in the location it is.

I STR'd moved back to London and saved £600 in train fair and saved 4 hours a day in travelling, Ashford is just too far out from a time and cost perspective and despite all the talk there are no decent jobs.

To be fair I think some of your comments are absolute b*******

Hawks way is right on top of Stanhope and you reckon mine is worth 160k when the sale prices you refer to are 165k from 2 years ago, it doesn't correlate.

An EA won't take on a house they can't sell, I've had many quotes and this area really needs you to come and have another look as a lot can change.

For the record at this point in time there are 67..... 4 bedroom houses for sale in Ashford under 250k, lowest priced being £125k in, not suprisingly, Stanhope.

Edited by Gel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So prices will shoot up to what!!

The price will never be more than London or the surrounding areas, otherwise you would not need to move all the way to Ashford to find cheaper housing, would you?