House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Guy_Montag

Protests

Guest Guy_Montag

Right chaps & ladies, we're getting into summer, the traditional time for protests & of course riots - no point in standing out in the rain with banners, when you can get a tan while blocking traffic.

We do spend a lot of time on here whinging that we're getting shafted by the older generation/the CPRE/council planning depts/mortgage providors and of course bloody estate agents.

So I say lets get out & make our voices heard, let's become more than just a small voice on the internet, we need media coverage, we can make people stop & think.

I've heard some great arguments for why HPI is bad for the country and the economy, but I'm already convinced, if you're here, the chances are you're already convinced, we need to convince the world at large.

We need a strategy, we need to target the groups mentioned above & all the other ones we can think of. We need a PR officer, so that once we attract some attention we can start issuing press releases in relation to other news reports. We should start picking out sympathetic MPs, and lobbying them, regardless of party. We are one of the few forums that seems to attract people from the far right right the way through the spectrum to the far left.

So I say to you "Who is with me?" "Who will join in my crusade to take the fight to our enemies?" "Who will stand up & be counted?".

Having said all that, I'm going to be away until September, so maybe someone else would like to take the lead. :unsure:

Edited to add: Won't someone think of the children?!

Right chaps & ladies, we're getting into summer, the traditional time for protests & of course riots - no point in standing out in the rain with banners, when you can get a tan while blocking traffic.

We do spend a lot of time on here whinging that we're getting shafted by the older generation/the CPRE/council planning depts/mortgage providors and of course bloody estate agents.

So I say lets get out & make our voices heard, let's become more than just a small voice on the internet, we need media coverage, we can make people stop & think.

I've heard some great arguments for why HPI is bad for the country and the economy, but I'm already convinced, if you're here, the chances are you're already convinced, we need to convince the world at large.

We need a strategy, we need to target the groups mentioned above & all the other ones we can think of. We need a PR officer, so that once we attract some attention we can start issuing press releases in relation to other news reports. We should start picking out sympathetic MPs, and lobbying them, regardless of party. We are one of the few forums that seems to attract people from the far right right the way through the spectrum to the far left.

So I say to you "Who is with me?" "Who will join in my crusade to take the fight to our enemies?" "Who will stand up & be counted?".

Having said all that, I'm going to be away until September, so maybe someone else would like to take the lead. :unsure:

:lol: class :) should try pricedout.org

Oh good god here we go again ...

Guest Guy_Montag

:lol: class :) should try pricedout.org

I looked at pricedout, **** & firstrung, but we have by far the largest membership & therefore the most available protesters.

Even if we could 50 people picketing the CPRE annual conference it would get some media coverage.

Great, someone that is action orientated at last.

Doing something rather than nothing helps you learn, gains experience, and creates affect. Even if the affact is small, it allows your mind to expand and think about improving it. Doing nothing and waiting, does well, nothing, doesn't expand your mind, and doesn't give you any experience that could be useful in other situations.

Well done GM; Rah!.

I must write one of those annoying motivation books some day.

I looked at pricedout, **** & firstrung, but we have by far the largest membership & therefore the most available protesters.

Even if we could 50 people picketing the CPRE annual conference it would get some media coverage.

pricedout was set up because of peoples lethargy on here :)

Great, someone that is action orientated at last.

Doing something rather than nothing helps you learn, gains experience, and creates affect. Even if the affact is small, it allows your mind to expand and think about improving it. Doing nothing and waiting, does well, nothing, doesn't expand your mind, and doesn't give you any experience that could be useful in other situations.

Well done GM; Rah!.

I must write one of those annoying motivation books some day.

Just to rain on your parade this has been proposed about a billion times. Nothing ever happens. Nothing ever will. Nor should it. This is an economic forum that attracts the occasional tin foil hat nut job consipracy theorist and a few psudo anarchists.

What are you going to do protest against economic cycles and wave your che guevara posters at each other?

I thought the summer meet in the pinned thread section above would be a good starting point.

Does not have to be a protest just so long as the media get a whiff of a gathering of like minded people.

We could all buy a t-shirt and for those of us who don't change our avaers regularly could wear a printed

t-shirt with that avatar... and / or the HPC logo.

Perfect weather for t-shirts.

here are some pics you could send of to a print company to order one for your self for the summer...

Or else I'll start selling them for a profit on ebay.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=4103

CAS.

Usually, at about this time, SmellTheFear lives up to his name and points out you will be visited by the secret police at 3 am and never seen again.

No worries here. We oldies did a great job of bringing up you youngies. You are compliant, willing, poorly educated, largely unskilled, poorly paid and you'll all do a great job mowing our lawns and clearing our gutters for us as we enter our twilight years.

Lack of breast milk must explain the lack of backbone.

Guest Alright Jack

Unfortunately we need to get educated FIRST.

The attention must be directed to the root i.e the corrupt banking monopoly. By going around blaming [insert list of bad guys] you are just aiding the system by obfuscating the issue.

Estate agents, in truth, are only doing what you do, earning themselves a living.

Usually, at about this time, SmellTheFear lives up to his name and points out you will be visited by the secret police at 3 am and never seen again.

No worries here. We oldies did a great job of bringing up you youngies. You are compliant, willing, poorly educated, largely unskilled, poorly paid and you'll all do a great job mowing our lawns and clearing our gutters for us as we enter our twilight years.

Lack of breast milk must explain the lack of backbone.

So true.

We also need to move on to the required outcome which would be direct government action in a *free Market* plus the ramifications of this long term.

I thought the summer meet in the pinned thread section above would be a good starting point.

Does not have to be a protest just so long as the media get a whiff of a gathering of like minded people.

God forbid you protest about being sold into debt slavery for the rest of your life.

'so long as the media get a whiff of like minded people' - chuckles indulgently

'ring, ring'

'Newsdesk'

'Got a hot story for you'

'What is it?'

'A group of like minded people who think house prices are too high are getting together'

'Okay, I'll get a full newsteam there pronto and notify the riot squad to make sure we get a few heads broken'

Thanks for that - best laugh for a while.

We could all buy a t-shirt and for those of us who don't change our avaers regularly could wear a printed

t-shirt with that avatar... and / or the HPC logo.

Perfect weather for t-shirts.

here are some pics you could send of to a print company to order one for your self for the summer...

Or else I'll start selling them for a profit on ebay.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=4103

CAS.

What about:

Walking up and down Oxford Street wearing nothing but boards with catchy slogans like "The end of the boom is nigh", "The wages of sin aren't enough to buy a 2-bed", "First time b_ye_s - what's missing?" on them?

I'm up for it. I look great naked.

now your just being mean :lol:

Naah, not really.

The apathy and lethargy on here puzzles me more than anything else. A million people marched against the Iraq war - loads of pensioners march because they have been ripped off.

Whether it works in absolute terms is not the point. The march against the Iraq war let Blair know a lot of the country was not behind him. Maybe it's why he is not so gung-ho over Iran. When a government minister goes on Question Time you can see them quiver every time Iraq comes up.

If you could get a million youngsters marching protesting about being priced out of buying a home because of BTL investors etc - it would transform the landscape. People would stopp bragging about their investment properties and start to feel ashamed.

In the absence of interest rate rises and general economic armageddon, it is actually your generation's only hope.

How many years can you afford to wait this out? What if the crash never comes. What if, in 5 years time, even more property is in the hand of BTL investors and a 3 bed semi is £400k?

I think you all need to realise that you cannot rely on economic cycles to do your job for you. If economic cycles worked as some on here think they do - why aren't houses still £100? The fact is - times change. And if you don't like what is happening you need to DO something about it.

This is an economic forum that attracts the occasional tin foil hat nut job consipracy theorist and a few psudo anarchists.

It attracts responsible people who just want to buy a decent house and still be financially viable.

In other words, precisely the people who _won't_ go out and riot in the streets, because they have something to lose. If it was a site full of chavs complaining that they weren't getting enough free stuff, you'd have no problem arranging a good riot.

Sadly, that seems to be exactly what the government is betting on... they'll shaft the responsible people until we all become chavs or emigrate. I'm taking the latter option.

What about:

Walking up and down Oxford Street wearing nothing but boards with catchy slogans like "The end of the boom is nigh", "The wages of sin aren't enough to buy a 2-bed", "First time b_ye_s - what's missing?" on them?

I'm up for it. I look great naked.

Go on then, contact the Metropolitan Police and tell them you are planning a protest march and want to go through the right process to notify them, get permission etc.

If you actually did that, and published the details on here - you might be able to shame a few people into joining you and, you never know, it might snowball. It takes someone to lead from the front.

Go on then, contact the Metropolitan Police and tell them you are planning a protest march and want to go through the right process to notify them, get permission etc.

If you actually did that, and published the details on here - you might be able to shame a few people into joining you and, you never know, it might snowball. It takes someone to lead from the front.

I might just do that!

But I might wear some pants as well.

It attracts responsible people who just want to buy a decent house and still be financially viable.

In other words, precisely the people who _won't_ go out and riot in the streets, because they have something to lose. If it was a site full of chavs complaining that they weren't getting enough free stuff, you'd have no problem arranging a good riot.

Sadly, that seems to be exactly what the government is betting on... they'll shaft the responsible people until we all become chavs or emigrate. I'm taking the latter option.

You all need to stop using the word riot - riots are totally counter-productive and not to be countenanced.

Look at the publicity Fathers 4 Justice got. Never mind whether they changed the law, they changed the way the law operates. Now when a judge is deciding on custody etc - they know there are a huge number of fathers desperate to maintain contact with their children etc. etc.

So, don't trot out the 'look what happened to them' defence for your inaction. If you are too scared to go on a protest march, just say so.

A while ago someone put in planning to put up a mobile mast at the end of the street I was living in. At the next parish council meeting 54 of us - middle aged and older - turned up - and let them know in no uncertain terms that the mast was NOT going up. It was organised by me and my neighbour. We printed off some leaflets and went out one night to talk to all the locals.

Same thing happened at my son's local school and there was a protest committee in 5 seconds flat. What is it with you lot?

I might just do that!

But I might wear some pants as well.

Forget the pants ....

'You've had the shirts off our backs,

you might as well have our pants'

Come on England! They managed it in Spain and while ago and it got a lot of media coverage here!

Naah, not really.

The apathy and lethargy on here puzzles me more than anything else. A million people marched against the Iraq war - loads of pensioners march because they have been ripped off.

Whether it works in absolute terms is not the point. The march against the Iraq war let Blair know a lot of the country was not behind him. Maybe it's why he is not so gung-ho over Iran. When a government minister goes on Question Time you can see them quiver every time Iraq comes up.

If you could get a million youngsters marching protesting about being priced out of buying a home because of BTL investors etc - it would transform the landscape. People would stopp bragging about their investment properties and start to feel ashamed.

In the absence of interest rate rises and general economic armageddon, it is actually your generation's only hope.

How many years can you afford to wait this out? What if the crash never comes. What if, in 5 years time, even more property is in the hand of BTL investors and a 3 bed semi is £400k?

I think you all need to realise that you cannot rely on economic cycles to do your job for you. If economic cycles worked as some on here think they do - why aren't houses still £100? The fact is - times change. And if you don't like what is happening you need to DO something about it.

Yes but to use my analogy simili .. it would be like knats piss in a pond .. if a million people can march in protest about murder unlawful killing of iraqs civilians and still have no effect then what on earth is 50 - 100 people going to do, pretty much nothing at all.

But lets assume that it did work, what would we want? Direct government influence on a free market? To force IR's higher than needed and trash the economy? Where direct action is concerned (in the form of protests) the general public have to be either supportive in priciple or appathetic. Where the housing market is concerned it makes people alot of money, the vast majority of home owners like thier percieved wealth, we would be trying to take that from them, and i dont think the average joe is going to give up his > £50K profit.

Our view is not the general consensus of the UK, infact we are in such minority that direct action would be pointless.

The economic cycle will sort it out and it would be better to let the government carry the can for the mess that has been allowed to happen when it all unravels rather than have the blame put onto a bunch of people who campaigned for the crashing of the UK housing market and hence economy.

Simple VI counter argument... These people who are protesting are trying to talk the housing market down with thier doom and gloom. You all worked for your homes why shouldnt they. It has always been difficult to get onto the property ladder but these 100 people dont want to make the sacrifices that we made when we were younger.

Knats p*ss in a pond

Guest Guy_Montag

There is no point in trying to organise a large protest, we don't have enough people to make it worthwhile. What we can do is picket the people who we perceive, rightly or wrongly, as getting between us & our des res, that way we piggy-back onto their publicity.

We are a broad church encompassing everyone from entirely normal people like me, to some right freaks & weirdos, but that should be seen as a strength not a weakness. Like I said we have people sympathetic to the BNP, old Labour, Tories & the Lib Dems - though New Labour seems rather under represented.

I am not so much of a lefty that I believe we can stand up against economic cycles, but by liberalising planning policies would go a long way to reducing the cost of land & therefore house pirces, by adjusting tax law to make BTL & holding onto your house to let after you've moved less attractive These would make a big difference.

That's why my apocalyptic preacher style is the most effective.

The government WON'T do anything. All you can do remind people of the the power of the market.

"The day of credit reckoning is coming"

There is no point in trying to organise a large protest, we don't have enough people to make it worthwhile. What we can do is picket the people who we perceive, rightly or wrongly, as getting between us & our des res, that way we piggy-back onto their publicity.

We are a broad church encompassing everyone from entirely normal people like me, to some right freaks & weirdos, but that should be seen as a strength not a weakness. Like I said we have people sympathetic to the BNP, old Labour, Tories & the Lib Dems - though New Labour seems rather under represented.

I am not so much of a lefty that I believe we can stand up against economic cycles, but by liberalising planning policies would go a long way to reducing the cost of land & therefore house pirces, by adjusting tax law to make BTL & holding onto your house to let after you've moved less attractive These would make a big difference.

You need to start thinking outside this site. My niece aged 31 lives in Wandsworth. She rents. She has a good degree. She despairs of ever being able to buy anything. She'd protest at the drop of a hat. You need a woman in charge of this. They don't feck about arguing about everything, they just DO things.

Organise the protest march with the Metropolitan Police and use this site as a starting point to get everyone to contact everyone they know. With MSN and MySpace etc you could get to 90% of youngsters in no time. If 10% of them were interested ....

Chaps> You all have too little faith.

Think about what you want. You want a crash. Well what is a crash? It a change in sentiment based upon a margin of people that can't join a boom party anymore, that's all. Most people who buy in a boom stretch. In a crash, people can still often strech to the same affordability. They just choose not to and have a changed vision of what value means.

If you really believe you can't change the world then do you really believe in yourself at all? Should you really reproduce? Should you leave that to someone else. What is you objective on this planet. Think about this. (blah)

You need a woman in charge of this. They don't feck about arguing about everything, they just DO things.

So, uh, where are all the women's protests against high house prices?