House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HovelinHove

Ex Wife Sells House After 9 Months

I got divorced three and a half years ago. We put the house on the market (terrace in Rochester Kent) for 225k and got three offers within a week, 1 at the asking price. That was at the end of 2002. My wife decided to stay, so she bought me out based on the offers we received. Last June she put it on the market. It is a nice house, in just about the best place to live in Medway (the rest of the area is a total dump), and a 10 minute walk from the station. The house looked onto an open field and had river views. She sold in March for 218k. I reckon at the peak of 2003 she could have got 235k.

It's hardly a full on a crash at the moment, but it shows that in the South East, the market is not what the Express would have us believe.

On the other hand, Hove, where I live now, is awash with SOLD signs. My suspicion is that prices have moved downwards to shift stock that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year in many cases.

Good morning

A very good friend of mine is selling his house which is about 1.5 miles from Savacentre at Hempstead Valley which is very close to you ex-wife . He lives in a very nice 4 bed house that they have lived in for 2 years . They have been on the market for about 3 months and have lowered the price twice (5K each time) . They are now at the exact same price as when they purchased .

I would not expect them to get the full asking price and may end up having to accept 10% lower

So this pretty much backs up what you are saying about North Kent

I live in Sittingbourne and the house's around March , April were being sold very fast but know have slowed up. There are quite a few that have been up for sale for 6-9 months

Good site that. For ME1 terraces haven't changed that much since summer 2003, but for Hove they peaked around April 04, which goes against what I've seen on the ground. I guess this might be something to do with the volumes.