House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Daily Express

Well done Daily Express. Guarantees a rate rise! :lol:

Meeting already over and decision made.

The banks/press have made BOE monetary policy look a shambles, which it is.

No matter it is not the BOE that will have to pay back £100bn's in capital and interst over the coming decades with unknown effects on the country's economy and the BOE don't need to compete for their jobs so no problem there either, although they do run the risk of not getting the odd gong or two if they don't pander to their master.

Can't even hit the fiddled CPI fig any more.

World of pain coming, most of it self-inflicted.

The crash will come soon enough - lets not wish for it (im about to sell a house). ;)

Hopefully we will win the World Cup and benefit from the feel good factor - keep the economy rolling on.

Middle of 2007 Im predicting crash.

Didnt the BoE say if house prices keep rising and people keep spending they'll keep raising rates? What are they playing at? People won't believe a word if they don't follow it up with action.

Didnt the BoE say if house prices keep rising and people keep spending they'll keep raising rates? What are they playing at? People won't believe a word if they don't follow it up with action.

That's because they don't want to raise rates unless they are backed into a croner and trapped like rats.

Significantly higher household bills and rising unemployment lie at the heart of the slowdown, Halifax said.

More soon.

Can't decide if the more soon is an indication that its going to get worse - or just that they will finish the story later!

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was iirc one of the reasons we were (told) going to have a 'soft landing' was a healthy economy and wonderful levels of employment. Or am I mistaken in that?

There is no stopping the housing juggernaut. It became detached from reality a long time ago and has still powered on. The only thing that can stop it is rate rises and those in power will do all they can to prevent this happening. I expect the target for inflation will just be raised if inflation takes off. Its a case of if you're sensible with money you're screwed under Labour.

Edited by simon99

Yeah but, no but..........

The BBC are quoting the HBOS survey which is in stark contrast to the "7% leap" that founds its way onto the front page of the VI cheerleader paper. And the hypothetical 7% figure was plucked out of the air by the mortgage bankers who stand to lose their shirts in a HPC. The Express ought to be ashamed to print such garbage--bet they ignore the Haliwide and LR data altogther.

This will not affect the BoE as it is controlled by Gordon and HPI-MEW are his legacy. Higher rates will destroy his world standing as the greatest chancellor the UK has ever known.

Edited by Realistbear

Gordon says "print" and the BOE print.

Plitically very fortunate for a profligate government who have spent their way to election success, mainly with other peoples' money (borrowed).

The result is an economic shambles, high cost services which offer poor value for money and a country steeped in debt.

The question is how well and for how long the real economy can take this. Many companies are fleeing - either in whole or in part by offshoring.

If this is really happening why are so many builders selling 'New build' properties at lower prices than 6 months ago? And private vendors being talked into reducing their prices by EA's and RightMove?

UK IR will go up .25% in July/Aug and again .25% befor Xmas. There will be more rises in 07.

But if you think the Express is correct, keep buying.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

the interesting thing is that when it comes to most other topics 'sensible' or 'clever' people i know will shun the headlines of papers like the express.

however, when they are about property price rises they are more than happy to take it as gospel!

I just thought I would look at the Haliwide surveys, and they both show an increase of around 4.5% since the start of the year. I doubt there will be big rises from now on, so how on earth can the CML forcast +7% with rising interest rates!

Halifax = +4.41%

Nationwide = +4.69%

(Comparing December05 vs May06)

UK IR will go up .25% in July/Aug and again .25% befor Xmas. There will be more rises in 07.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

I agree that a 25 basis points increase is likely in July/Aug, but what makes you think there will be another increase before Christmas, and indeed more in 07? Very few city institutions expect this, and indeed the majority expect IRs to settle back to 4.5pc by the end of the year.

....I expect the target for inflation will just be raised if inflation takes off.

I suspect this also, along with a heavy dollop of spin about lifting the target because of global inflation/oil, and a new spate of references on al-BBC to Gordon Broon as the 'Iron Chancellor'