House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Green Bear

Best Is Yet To Come, Says Superbull

Opportunities

Rogers thinks the best opportunities in commodities lie not with metals. "Agricultural commodities are the most attractive," he says. "Sugar is 80% below its all-time high. Maize is 60% below its all-time high - so is cotton. Adjusted for inflation, some of these commodities are 80%, 90% below their all-time highs.

"The hectares devoted to wheat have been declining for 30 years. The world has consumed more food than it has produced for the past five years, and that's the first time in recorded history that that's happened. We've had no worldwide drought for several years. I don't know if we'll have one again, but I know what happened in the 1960s and 1970s when we had droughts with low stocks of nutrition. The price of sugar went up 47-fold in an eight-year period."

This has had me thinking for a while since I know agricultural output declined last year in this country (Ireland) and most farmers are facing retirement, that now is the right time to get into farming.

This has had me thinking for a while since I know agricultural output declined last year in this country (Ireland) and most farmers are facing retirement, that now is the right time to get into farming.

You got a source for this Green Bear? A URL?

You got a source for this Green Bear? A URL?

I'll find the rest of the details later - the decline was mainly due to the close of Irish Sugar. (look up Greencore)

UK Farmers.

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/pa2003/pa030182.htm

How old are British farmers?

http://www.arcresources.org.uk/rusourcepapers/firm04/133.pdf

Scheme to encourage more young men into farming.

The Scheme of Early Retirement from Farming in the Republic of Ireland

http://www.ucd.ie/gsi/pdf/32-2/retire.pdf