House Price Crash Forum
stillill

Bargaining Rent With New Landlord?

Anyone come across any good resources for things to look for to bargain down the cost of renting a house?

Myself and current flatmates are moving out of current house and looking for a similar 4-bed place. Rents seem to be calculated per week, which looks ok on paper, but doing the sums isn't that good. We're going to ask for it by calendar month to shave some off it I think.

The house we're looking at is in Harringay (highest council tax in London iirc) at $191 a month - adding a fairly substantial whack onto living costs. Is using this as a bargaining chip/consideration considered fair or foul?

We're also happy to renovate the interior when we move in if it needs painted etc, so hopefully that would gain us some brownie points/reduction.

It's unfortunately through an agent, so the price seems high for no benefit to us as tenants. Is it a requirement of the agent to tell the owner if we make a rental offer below what they're asking, or is the agent likely to say "pfft" and wait for someone to pay asking price?"

(It's not a great deal of difference, but we'd prefer to talk it down from 1820 pm (420pw) to 1600-1650pm. Does this seem reasonable?

I would negotiate dont be surprised if they asking for more then the previous tenants paid.

I found out yesterday that the previous tenant paid less then me, and I am indeed paying above the average for my property size in my city. I should have negotiated.

My sister when leaving her place was told by the people looking around they were quoted around 70 a month higher then what she paid. So again the landlord put on market for more then he would probably accept.

I would negotiate dont be surprised if they asking for more then the previous tenants paid.

I found out yesterday that the previous tenant paid less then me, and I am indeed paying above the average for my property size in my city. I should have negotiated.

My sister when leaving her place was told by the people looking around they were quoted around 70 a month higher then what she paid. So again the landlord put on market for more then he would probably accept.

Cheers Chrysalis.

I asked the existing tenants what they were paying and yeah we've been quoted a higher rent. Current tenants are leaving because there's 6 of them - but under new legislation only 4 tenants are legal unless he wants to notify the council etc etc.

He's trying to get the same money out of 4 as he was getting out of 6, which I can see his point, but just doesn't make financial sense. Plus the house needs a bit of work.

We've been recommended to this landlord, so hoping that he'll take less money for peace of mind.

The obvious is to keep a copy of local papers that advertise the properties you plan to rent. If a property has been empty for a while then every month its empty the LL loses money so deals can be done unless the LL has deep pockets. Sell them on the idea that for a £25/£50/£100 pm reduction they could fill it immediately if your prepared to move in straight away and show them the reduction is less than the money they lose for it being empty over another month.

Other things, is if the fittings etc are old point this out, hilight other properties that have the new fittings, cupboards kitchens bathroom suites in your areas, dont always mention their rental price but basically pink up on the bad points to help get the rent down.

Dont be scared to push for what might seem an impossible deal the LL may be more desperate than you. :)

Yeah, knew the market etc, got £150 off the pcm rent with little effort.