House Price Crash Forum

More Parasites

Guest Guy_Montag

HOLA441
Guest Guy_Montag

I know it's off topic, but it's yet another example of people who live off those that do things correctly.

BBC online

I say those that refuse to pay should have a large red standpipe erected in the street directly outside their house, then be cut off, until they have paid back all the money they owe with draconian penalty charges. That way they still have access to clean, safe water & everyone can see who has been subsidised by the rest of us. FFS

HOLA442

I know it's off topic, but it's yet another example of people who live off those that do things correctly.

BBC online

I say those that refuse to pay should have a large red standpipe erected in the street directly outside their house, then be cut off, until they have paid back all the money they owe with draconian penalty charges. That way they still have access to clean, safe water & everyone can see who has been subsidised by the rest of us. FFS

It is annoying, but it's worth bearing in mind that the extra £10 we pay to subsidise their bill is probably dwarfed by the massive proportion of our bills that goes to the companies in profit. The main increase in charges over the last decade or so is because of one of the more stupid privatisations.

HOLA443

Of course once you do that, and the same for electric and gas, then you have the problem that then the water companies can ramp up the prices to pretty much whatever they want, and they have you, quite literally, over a barrel.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This obsession with a water shortage in one of the wettest countries on the planet is nothing but a sad indictment of the fact that our Media, our politicians and our 'rulers' are all obsessed with the South East of England.

If companies did not insist - often as a result of wishing to be within 30 miles of an international airport and also pressure from the City - on locating within the South East of England then there would not be a problem with:

1. Congested roads and resulting pollution

2. Threats from housing to the Green Belt

3. Water shortage

South Eastern English = Tossers!

HOLA449
Guest Bart of Darkness

This report is more smoke and mirrors to get the public thinking the rises are due to delinquent payments rather than the reality.

Greedy Execs milking a public asset.

Very probably.

But still, how the hell do you get away with not paying your bills?

Am I a mug for paying mine? :unsure:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It is annoying, but it's worth bearing in mind that the extra £10 we pay to subsidise their bill is probably dwarfed by the massive proportion of our bills that goes to the companies in profit. The main increase in charges over the last decade or so is because of one of the more stupid privatisations.

i second that. yes crapsters for not paying bills but parasites have many forms. how in the hell was that market ever even meant to work, for feck's sake, when there's no fecking competition. ******ing tories with their national ******ing asset stripping.

HOLA4412
Guest Guy_Montag

i second that. yes crapsters for not paying bills but parasites have many forms. how in the hell was that market ever even meant to work, for feck's sake, when there's no fecking competition. ******ing tories with their national ******ing asset stripping.

I agree, it's a stupid system, you cannot privatise monopolies, but at least I can buy shares in the companies.

HOLA4413

true, true, although I wonder whether small shareholders would be able to influence, say, how much goes into replacing leaking pipes, and even if they did get together and manage to effect some real change, they'd basically be acting against their own interests. it does seem to me to be one of the areas in which state control is most rational. anyway, too late now because the chances of us getting a government with the balls to renationalise water and rail, which is what I'd like to see, is zip blooming all! go ava morales renationalising bolivia's gas - maybe what we need is a good third-world president!!

HOLA4414
Guest Guy_Montag

true, true, although I wonder whether small shareholders would be able to influence, say, how much goes into replacing leaking pipes, and even if they did get together and manage to effect some real change, they'd basically be acting against their own interests. it does seem to me to be one of the areas in which state control is most rational. anyway, too late now because the chances of us getting a government with the balls to renationalise water and rail, which is what I'd like to see, is zip blooming all! go ava morales renationalising bolivia's gas - maybe what we need is a good third-world president!!

I agree, I think there are services, which, necessary for human life should belong to the country. Actually mostly it's just water. Mind you Scottish Water is in a right mess, so keeping them state run doesn't necissarily help much.

HOLA4415

I lived in a new build for 16 months and never paid gas, water or sewerage. This was not because i'm a parasite but it was down to the utter incompetence of the utility companies. New postcode is too complicated for the customer services to deal with so they don't bother. I used reams of papers in letters and got nothing sorted. I contacted Ofgen and Ofwat still no joy. I left forwarding addresses but never got anything charged to me and that was 3 years ago now.

HOLA4416
Guest Guy_Montag

I lived in a new build for 16 months and never paid gas, water or sewerage. This was not because i'm a parasite but it was down to the utter incompetence of the utility companies. New postcode is too complicated for the customer services to deal with so they don't bother. I used reams of papers in letters and got nothing sorted. I contacted Ofgen and Ofwat still no joy. I left forwarding addresses but never got anything charged to me and that was 3 years ago now.

Fair point, that happened to me, not in a new build, but shortly after privatisation. F'ing useless! But if they can't work out how to bill us, even when we ask, I doubt we make up the 15% of this report.

HOLA4417

I lived in a flat for 6 months and all the time I was getting letters to 'the occupier' demanding £20 or so for unpaid water.

Had a similar experience in the previous place where previous tenant had done a runner without paying for anything.

My father being the fine upstanding member of society that he is suggested that I write to the electric company at least

and explain the situation, and give them my direct debit details. Which I did.

They promptly decided to, in their incompetence, charge the previous tenants unpaid bill ~£600

to my bank account. Got it back eventually but I can see why people get annoyed with them.

It's so easy not to pay council tax, electricity, water, you can see why people do it.

In an ideal world, my solution would be that basic water needs should be met through public finance.

If you want to use water extravagantly this should be available for an extra charge.

Such a system of rationing should be possible through improved technology.