House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Time to raise the rents.

Tory Tory Tory

Tory Tory Tory
Mon 5 Jun, 11:20 pm - 12:20 am
A series exploring the history of the people and ideas behind what became known as Thatcherism - and how they changed the face of Britain.
Outsiders tells the story of the dreamers, visionaries and radicals in the political wilderness after World War Two who saw the foundation of the Welfare State as the thin edge of a totalitarian wedge. At first they were seen as cranks, and their ideas - monetarism and a free market - as madness. But gradually they attracted supporters in the political mainstream.
It was only when Margaret Thatcher became leader of the Conservative Party that they saw a champion. Would she accept the role as leader of an unlikely revolution?

At least we knew what the Selsdon Group actually stood for and Nicholas Ridley was a laugh, the current lot are all PR men backed by a bunch of crooks.

Do we extend the franchise to returning convicts?

It's going to take a large dose of Hayek to settle this.

Edited by BuyingBear

Guest Guy_Montag

Did anyone catch Gods Next Army on Ch4 at 8 this evening?

Scary stuff!

Started a thread about this off topic. I can't quite work out how you can be a christian & work for Karl Rove - I would have thought working for Satan's little helper would preclude you from future entry into heaven.

Started a thread about this off topic. I can't quite work out how you can be a christian & work for Karl Rove - I would have thought working for Satan's little helper would preclude you from future entry into heaven.

Shoving a few million unwanted votes into the memory hole can be said to be amoral at best.

I can't believe how naive those kids must be after being schooled at home & excluded from influences from society. Then to think they're being trained as future leaders.

Just what we all need, future leaders that have no understanding of people (much like present leaders BTW).

Truly a scary prospect IMO.

Did anyone catch Gods Next Army on Ch4 at 8 this evening?

Scary stuff!

Scary indeed, I love the bit where they were championing gun ownership and no compensation for asbestos victims (as it might harm business)!

Scary indeed, I love the bit where they were championing gun ownership and no compensation for asbestos victims (as it might harm business)!

And that the social security system should be disolved in favour of private insurance based systems.

I did like their idea to abolish property taxes though. :D Can't agree with their reason though.....that property belongs to the lord & not the state!

When I was a kid there was a popular idea that the U.S. & Soviet leaders should be thrown in the boxing ring & whoever wins the cold war will be over.

I just had a thought that this college in Washington of fundamentalist christians versus fundamentalist muslims. Put 'em together in the ring so they can all (both sides) leave the rest of us alone & out of their madness and sort ot their differences however they like.

bow to the landlord, the devil

Quite.

The right to develop land was nationalised in 1947 and remains so until today, one of the few remaining areas that haven't been liberalised... yet.

Don't miss it, on tonight BBC2 at 11.20pm.

Fascinating stuff TTRTR. Looking forward to next week.

As a non economist, I found the definition of monetarism as the maintenance of money supply at the level of GDP very interesting Does that make us all Thatcherites ? :lol:

Fascinating stuff TTRTR. Looking forward to next week.

As a non economist, I found the definition of monetarism as the maintenance of money supply at the level of GDP very interesting Does that make us all Thatcherites ? :lol:

Worse - it makes you Enoch Powellite :lol:

Worse - it makes you Enoch Powellite :lol:

Not at all, the Chicago and Austrian schools of economics are powerful and well respected. We can thank people like Paul Volker for killing off the ills of hyper-inflation and stagflation that plagued the 1970's, their actions set the stage for over two decades of unprecedented economic growth and stability, unfortunately the neo-Keynesians like Brown are now screwing it up again, hence the re-emergence of many of the ills not seen for over 30 years.

Guest Guy_Montag

Part 2 on tonight I guess?

I hope so, I've got my video set to start recording shortly.

Do you get BBC in Sweden?

Guest Guy_Montag

I am in Sweden, my video is set in London.

How often do you commute? Or do you have a friend?

'Turning off the tap' to kill inflation... is this a 'primer' programme to get the sheeple ready for what is to come?

Turning off the tap once the population are already half-drowned, bit late really.Same scenario just a different form of inflation - well actually not a different form at all just in a place where none of the economists wanted to look. High land prices and debt will kill an economy just as effectively as high wages/rising prices, possibly more so as the turnaround required to regain competitiveness and the financial space to start reinvesting in productive activities is arguably far more difficult and painful and possibly politically untenable.

This evenings programme was fascinating. It really showed up Blair and the New Labour scum as having frittered away all the hard earned benefits which Thatchers policies created. She stood up for her policies, but was largely vindicated. Blair has stood up for his foolish and criminal war and will be cursed by history. Thatcher will be treated much more kindly, and rightly so.

The public sector has become very flabby under "Prudence", and the time is ripe for a cull. There is little to show for the supposedly massive investment in NHS, transport, schools etc. The productive members of society are being increasingly drained by heavier tax burden to pay for all the government non jobs. We find ourselves in a CCTV nightmare police state as well. Next election will not be kind to the "Labour" party.

My god watching tonights episode was like Deja vous

And now we'll have to go through all that pain again !!