House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

N I Houses Rise Almost 100 Pounds -- A Day!

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=74004&pt=n

HOUSE BUYING REACHES FEVER PITCH

Detached homes are experiencing the greatest increase in prices during the property boom, the latest University of Ulster quarterly index showed, averaging £237,749 -
an increase of almost 30%
Belfast has also seen the average price of a home rise by 23.6% but Lisburn experienced the most dramatic growth, with
values rising at an unprecedented rate of 44%
"These are boom conditions that appear to be the result of strong investment activity, relatively cheap borrowing costs and an undersupply of properties."

Cheap borrowing costs eh? What no fundamentals to support the prices? :o

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=74004&pt=n

HOUSE BUYING REACHES FEVER PITCH

Detached homes are experiencing the greatest increase in prices during the property boom, the latest University of Ulster quarterly index showed, averaging £237,749 -
an increase of almost 30%
Belfast has also seen the average price of a home rise by 23.6% but Lisburn experienced the most dramatic growth, with
values rising at an unprecedented rate of 44%
"These are boom conditions that appear to be the result of strong investment activity, relatively cheap borrowing costs and an undersupply of properties."

Cheap borrowing costs eh? What no fundamentals to support the prices? :o

Highly amusing, or not if your girlfriend is hell bent on buying as mine seems to be! Everything and anything is currently being bid well beyond its asking price. I think average prices are here already exceed many other parts of the UK. It really is rather interesting to witness.

Guest Homer

Highly amusing, or not if your girlfriend is hell bent on buying as mine seems to be! Everything and anything is currently being bid well beyond its asking price. I think average prices are here already exceed many other parts of the UK. It really is rather interesting to witness.

I know the feeling- my bird is fully sucked into this crap aswell. Report on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5048288.stm

Surely this cannot last. I reckon NI will suffer major drops- my dad was playing golf with a senior civil servant who said they are getting very concerned about the prospect of nagative equity here for thousands.

I know the feeling- my bird is fully sucked into this crap aswell. Report on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5048288.stm

Surely this cannot last. I reckon NI will suffer major drops- my dad was playing golf with a senior civil servant who said they are getting very concerned about the prospect of nagative equity here for thousands.

But in the meantime the EAs and VIs need to make hay while the IR rates are low. Buy high and sell low seems to be the rule in NI?

So you can buy an asset, sit on your ar$e and watch it bubble up to £100 a day in notional equity? This helps the economy how, exactly?

I am confident that you know how this helps the economy in the short term.

Billy Shears

funded with irish euro morgages? People fleeing with equity from ireland into NI? whats the average salary in NI?

Edited by moosetea

funded with irish euro morgages? whats the average salary in NI?

I think someone mentioned £22k recently. Although that probably doesn't take account of widespread benefit fraud and the huge black market.

Perhaps the prices are actually justified when these factors are considered? <_<

I think someone mentioned £22k recently. Although that probably doesn't take account of widespread benefit fraud and the huge black market.

Perhaps the prices are actually justified when these factors are considered? <_<

The best black market money laundering ruse I've heard of recently involves solariums.

Perhaps this is what BTLlers are thinking of?

The best black market money laundering ruse I've heard of recently involves solariums.

Well that solves something, I have never seen so many of them they are opening up on every corner, is plod on to this?

Well that solves something, I have never seen so many of them they are opening up on every corner, is plod on to this?

Seems so, anyone fancy a big smack?

"The biggest item on the couple's shopping list was a luxury new £216,000 home in Old Kilpatrick, near Glasgow. But just hours before they were due to complete the purchase in February, the drug cops swooped.
A neighbour said: "The people selling the house couldn't believe it. They were getting ready to move to England when the Robertsons were huckled by police.
"Next minute, the 'For Sale" sign was back up outside the house."

Classic!

"Colin and Jacqui rented out a flat they owned to a relative. But they fell out with her over a row in a pub and made her and her three-year-old son homeless.
"The Robertsons knew how to make enemies. Everything was about money."

Property is a nice old world.

Edited by BuyingBear

Can you explain how they work?

Billy Shears

Billy Shears

I suppose they put cash through the books and claim it was customers, however given the sheer number of these places according to the accounts the entire population of a cold and rainy Belfast must all look like they've visited Jamaica!

I suppose they put cash through the books and claim it was customers, however given the sheer number of these places according to the accounts the entire population of a cold and rainy Belfast must all look like they've visited Jamaica!

And they pay tax on the laundered money? Does that mean that the government has a disincentive to do anything about it?

Billy Shears

And they pay tax on the laundered money? Does that mean that the government has a disincentive to do anything about it?

If the idea is to legitimise the money I suppose they must do, maybe corporation tax is lower than what crooks traditionally charge? Anyone got a DVD of The Sopranos to hand?

As for the government, who knows, Northern Ireland is a law unto itself.

Billy Shears

1) Buy a house and some sunbeds

2) Make up a figure for the number of cash paying customers you got in (4 to a room, however, many quid an hour)

3) Ramp up the heating to make sure the electricity bill looks kosher

4) Pretend that your drug money came from melanoma-ridden punters.

It's laundering, but it isn't tax efficient.