House Price Crash Forum
Chrysalis

Sky Sattelite Dish

Ok here is the situation.

Tenancy agreement specifically states tenant canno thave a sattelite dish or external aerial fitted to property.

Property has aerial sockets presumable attached to current external aerial provided by landlord.

Property has ntl sockets for cable tv.

The outdoor aerial is very poor and probably cheap and only channel5 has what I call a decent reception. This is also too limiting as I want more channels.

NTL is currently turned off but their is only their analogue service in this area, which is a poor channel lineup and very poor value for money, I have had permission to install a BT line for broadband since their is no NTL broadband here and when getting NTL tv I would need to pay for a NTL phoneline which I dont need. So around £15 a month which £13 is for phone line rental.

Sky bottom pack is £15 a month but a lot better then NTL, full digital service.

From where I sit now their is clearly a aerial problem which the Landlord would either need to replace the aerial or allow me alternative source for tv. But he will probably argue NTL is the viable alternative, Sky is ordered but I have decided to speak to my landlord and get permission before the installation date.

What I am getting at is if he says no what could I do to try and get him to agree other then offer cash incentive which I will do as last resort.

I'm guessing that there's three possible reasons for the clause:

o It's a standard clause in his standard tenancy agreement. If so, he might give you the go-ahead.

o He doesn't want a dish on the house - you'll have to negotiate with him.

o It's in the agreement due to a covenant on the property barring dishes - you're screwed.

In any case, you signed the agreement, so he's in the driving seat. My advice would be to not get unreasonable... and that means, if he says no, then that's fine, as he's perfectly entitled to.

If the existing aerial is faulty is is required to fix it however.

T&T

PS: Depending on the wording and interpretation, it might be possible to use a dish that's not attached to the house. I doubt Sky would install it, and they're more expensive, but that could be a way around it.

Edited by ToilAndTrouble

Yeah from what T7T said if I installed without permission and their is a that covenant then I would be in very big trouble and I dont want that.

What reasons would a owner of the property not be allowed to put up a dish if he wanted to tho?

If there is a covenant would that stop me doing the option of having the dish in the garden (yes their is a small front garden akthough I am worried the dish would get trashed their been in a vulnerable location and I live on a main road).

I think the best thing for me to say is the aerial needs replacing but a cheaper option is to allow me to fit sky so their is no cost you (the landlord). If he gets funny I will offer a top up to bond to cover extra risk of damage.

That sound good?

Ok here is the situation.

Tenancy agreement specifically states tenant canno thave a sattelite dish or external aerial fitted to property.

Property has aerial sockets presumable attached to current external aerial provided by landlord.

Property has ntl sockets for cable tv.

The outdoor aerial is very poor and probably cheap and only channel5 has what I call a decent reception. This is also too limiting as I want more channels.

NTL is currently turned off but their is only their analogue service in this area, which is a poor channel lineup and very poor value for money, I have had permission to install a BT line for broadband since their is no NTL broadband here and when getting NTL tv I would need to pay for a NTL phoneline which I dont need. So around £15 a month which £13 is for phone line rental.

Sky bottom pack is £15 a month but a lot better then NTL, full digital service.

From where I sit now their is clearly a aerial problem which the Landlord would either need to replace the aerial or allow me alternative source for tv. But he will probably argue NTL is the viable alternative, Sky is ordered but I have decided to speak to my landlord and get permission before the installation date.

What I am getting at is if he says no what could I do to try and get him to agree other then offer cash incentive which I will do as last resort.

Your LL may well have downlopaded an assured tenancy agreement, in which he may allow you to install a dish if you ask her.

In this day and age, and with most sport and films on sateelite tv, it would be a bit daft not to allow a tenant to attach a satalite to the property.Not everyone wants a bt phone line because many have mobile phone contracts.

Contact him or the letting agent.I don't think you will have a problem, as long as the satelite is fixed professionally, ie not 10 holes when only 4 are needed.

By the way I am a LL. The way I see it. My btl is my tenants home. It would take something very unreasonable for me to refuse a request.Fitting a satelite isn't one of them.He will probably request that the resulting holes when you leave are filled and possibly repainted if the wall is already painted.