House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
luddite

Polish Plumbers Cause House Price Crash?

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...1227&cat=44-0-0

Sorry if this link has been posted before, but I found it interesting how many BTL investors see the influx of immigrants as a driver for their property investment. Beyond what is in this article I dont have any stats to explain how these immigrants are paying their way, but my understanding is that thethey are mainly supporting the building trade and the service industry - hotels etc.

To an extent, it is one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - building work => demand for cheap immigrant workers => more housing required for them to live in => more building work => etc.

However...

As DrBubb has pointed out several times, shares in UK builders are falling badly, e.g. Wimpy

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchar...sp?symb=uk:wmpy

So, when the building work dries up, what will all these Polish plumbers do? Unless the home secretary has given them all NI numbers my guess is that they will have no choice but to go back to their country of origin leaving vacant properties behind them. What then for the economic miracle?

Unless the home secretary has given them all NI numbers my guess is that they will have no choice but to go back to their country of origin leaving vacant properties behind them. What then for the economic miracle?

Erm, I think you will find that the Polish workers all have NI numbers.

So, when the building work dries up, what will all these Polish plumbers do? Unless the home secretary has given them all NI numbers my guess is that they will have no choice but to go back to their country of origin leaving vacant properties behind them. What then for the economic miracle?

If I was an immigrant worker, or should I say an immigrant worker who doesn't have a stable job and family ties, and the work dried up in this country, I'd leave to go to another country where there was more work.

Billy Shears

Guest Alright Jack

If I was an immigrant worker, or should I say an immigrant worker who doesn't have a stable job and family ties, and the work dried up in this country, I'd leave to go to another country where there was more work.

Billy Shears

If I was an immigrant worker in the UK, I'd emmigrate. :)

Sorry if this link has been posted before, but I found it interesting how many BTL investors see the influx of immigrants as a driver for their property investment. Beyond what is in this article I dont have any stats to explain how these immigrants are paying their way, but my understanding is that thethey are mainly supporting the building trade and the service industry - hotels etc.

To an extent, it is one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - building work => demand for cheap immigrant workers => more housing required for them to live in => more building work => etc.

However...

As DrBubb has pointed out several times, shares in UK builders are falling badly, e.g. Wimpy

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchar...sp?symb=uk:wmpy

The former eastern block tradesmen (persons) are currently filling a void in the availability of uk skilled trades operatives. When this dries up they will simply move to the next area where work is available.

The building industry is also a hell of a lot bigger than house builders like Wimpey. House building is only a fraction of the industry's turnover. Hospitals, schools, offices, University and PFI schemes all are massive areas of industry activity.

If the uk construction industry crashes then most people will have more to worry about than whether Mr Polski's house is going cheap.

Erm, I think you will find that the Polish workers all have NI numbers.

Note to self, take more care when taking side-swipes at topical government scandals.

Indeed, the legal immigrants do have NI numbers but are unlikely to get any benefits so the argument still holds. New immigration is geared towards skills shortages. These guys are just like our own Auf Wiedersehen Pet guys. They go where there is work is and leave when it is over.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_03_30/...ants_needed.htm

Billy Shears

Happened during the 90's crash, British builders went over to Germany to find work.

If they weren't prepared to stick around in this country,who will be when the economy goes t!ts up?

Edited by BandWagon

Some Polish and other european people are buying property in the U.K. some look to the U.K. as their new home and future and have no intention of moving back.

Others will make what they can, and will return to their homeland.

What a great feeling it is that we can travel and live in any european country we want to, it works both ways.

Some Polish and other european people are buying property in the U.K. some look to the U.K. as their new home and future and have no intention of moving back.

Others will make what they can, and will return to their homeland.

What a great feeling it is that we can travel and live in any european country we want to, it works both ways.

Yep, labour mobility has many economic benefits (Although I'm sure brainclamp will disagree)

...you'll probably find that the poles will quite happily work for a lot less money than our indigenous builders.....it'll be a frikkin bloodbath!!!!...bad news for the native employee.

only when the natives get angry will you find some of the immigrants end up fleeing,not through lack of work but more the in-built hostility from the locals.

...you'll probably find that the poles will quite happily work for a lot less money than our indigenous builders.....it'll be a frikkin bloodbath!!!!...bad news for the native employee.

only when the natives get angry will you find some of the immigrants end up fleeing,not through lack of work but more the in-built hostility from the locals.

Given the choice between the Gdansk estate they might have come from and a bit of local hostility - I'd pity the poor group of locals who tried it on.

Solid people the poles I know.

btp

Title:Polish Plumbers Cause House Price Crash?

Edit: "Polish Plumbers EFFECT House Price Crash"

Secondary effects of the "Big R" mid stages.

Quote; Brian Potter: "The building industry is also a hell of a lot bigger than house builders like Wimpey. House building is only a fraction of the industry's turnover. Hospitals, schools, offices, University and PFI schemes all are massive areas of industry activity."

Agreed but Bubb is "Right on the money" with this one, My own anecdotal experience of 1987ish: "The building industry is the first into Recession and the last out", However he may gleen a more critical insight looking at the suppliers rather than producers.

Quote; backtoparents: "Solid people the poles I know."

Couldn't agree more, But they hate it here !, They have a dream of the Olde English shared european heritage which is sadly and rapidly dimminised by the boring production enviroments that highly eductated forced migrants work in.

Look at it from a Polish point of view; Your 26 with a Bio-Science Degree and 5 years experience and your putting lids on yoghurt pots in Chorley because it's 20+% unemployment in your homeland.

UK goes down the pan !, It's a no-brainer, you go where the money is.