House Price Crash Forum
Guest muttley

Five Time-bomb Investments To Sell Now

I don't really care for MoneyWeek or anything from Fleet Street Publications, they do nothing but promote get-rich-quick schemes and bucket shops.

Becareful of people who just tell you what they want to hear.

I don't really care for MoneyWeek or anything from Fleet Street Publications, they do nothing but promote get-rich-quick schemes and bucket shops.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but the stuff published by Moneyweek makes a lot more sense than the utter drivel written in the rest of the papers.

I just wish they'd drop the "make 100% on your investments now" rubbish.

Edited by BandWagon

Maybe you do not care for MoneyWeek but many people will do, and you have to agree that it is encouraging to see any column inches in the press saying "sell your BTL". By the time it gets to the Daily Mail and the BBC it will be too late - if indeed it is not already too late.

Maybe you do not care for MoneyWeek but many people will do, and you have to agree that it is encouraging to see any column inches in the press saying "sell your BTL". By the time it gets to the Daily Mail and the BBC it will be too late - if indeed it is not already too late.

If you bought a BTL a decade ago and the rent comfortably covers the mortgage then there's no need to sell, especially if they don't need the cash. Do you suggest they sell up and leave their money in a saving account simply to be hyper-inflated away?

MoneyWeek is simply inverse propaganda.

I know what a get rich quick scheme is ..... but what is a bucket shop ??

I've often wondered how people like Fleet Street could actually still exist if ALL their GRQS didn't work ??

Wouldn't people want their money back or do they just write it off as bad luck ??

I've often wondered how people like Fleet Street could actually still exist if ALL their GRQS didn't work ??

Wouldn't people want their money back or do they just write it off as bad luck ??

Bucket Shop, yanky phrase?

Some of their guff is genuinely funny, do people really fall for that? Some of them are just like the Da Vinci Code :lol:

I sure as hell wouldn't want to authorise any Direct Debits with them.

Edited by BuyingBear

I just wish they'd drop the "make 100% on your investments now" rubbish.

:lol::lol::lol:

I know what you mean but your percentage is too rounded.

It's normally something like: "this little known Titanium mining company could make you gains of 393% in the next two years....."

"If you bought a BTL a decade ago and the rent comfortably covers the mortgage then there's no need to sell, especially if they don't need the cash."

I disagree.

There's a great reason to sell: to extract your current high equity, before it turns into a smaller amount

Yes, all things being equal but with high transaction costs and a hefty chunk of capital gains tax many would rather retain the cash flow and collateral, though it's important to refinance at a fixed rate. Watching a sterling account erode at an annualised 13% of M4 growth is not pretty. If the property in question was bought a decade ago it makes sense to retain it as the leverage isn't a headache.

Yes, all things being equal but with high transaction costs and a hefty chunk of capital gains tax many would rather retain the cash flow and collateral, though it's important to refinance at a fixed rate. Watching a sterling account erode at an annualised 13% of M4 growth is not pretty. If the property in question was bought a decade ago it makes sense to retain it as the leverage isn't a headache.

what about 'opportunity costs', or do btl geniouses not care about that? ( even ones who bought '10 years ago' :blink: )

"If you bought a BTL a decade ago and the rent comfortably covers the mortgage then there's no need to sell, especially if they don't need the cash."

I disagree.

There's a great reason to sell: to extract your current high equity, before it turns into a smaller amount

Hmm. This is where financial theory diverges from reality - what BuyingBear says is probably how most landlords look at it. It's the head-in-the-sand approach to investment.

Selling before prices fall, if that's your view, makes sense. But what to do with the proceeds if all you know is property? I don't know of any landlords or BTLers who look at current yield (as you'd expect if they were acting rationally).

JY

Guest prudence

like any tipster they will please some of the people some of the time

Did toy with the idea of subscribing to MW, but registering for their email newsletter soon cured me of that. Cue lots of spam promoting bonkers get rich quick schemes of the type you mentioned.

There's something almost cult like about MW. All of the articles written in the same demented messianic style. Like they're privy to a great truth that the rest of us mere mortals are ignorant of. We need to sign up now in order to be saved (or to save our finances anyway).

Edited by LTD