House Price Crash Forum

I've been looking with interest at the activities of the Cameron Clan this week, things are starting to ring hollow, especially so on housing :-

"I think a conservative government is there for a lot of things... economic stability,
safe-guarding the value of peoples homes
, keeping interest rates low, and keeping inflation low, is more important" - Michael Gove, Shadow Housing Minister Michael Gove speaking on Question Time

He's been quite a busy chap :-

There are growing fears over the "stability of the housing market" if the Government goes ahead with its controversial Home Information Packs.
Shadow Housing Minister Michael Gove has tabled a Commons motion highlighting key concerns about the new law which comes into force in 2007 forcing sellers to pay around £700 for a pack before he or she puts their home on the market.
Mr Gove is calling for the HIPs to be "delayed or cancelled in order to protect the stability of the housing market."

It's pretty clear HIPS may well be blown out of the water before long.

Anyway, more on Cameron's backers :-

· Firm 'evicted tenants using legal loopholes'
· It's a politically motivated smear, says tycoon
One of Conservative leader David Cameron's new breed of business backers is a millionaire landlord who has been accused of using ruthless tactics against tenants. Trevor Pears, 42, whose family owns 15,000 properties, is alleged to be driving out small shops in favour of supermarkets and forcing out tenants through legal loopholes.
Mr Cameron is trying to boost his party by adopting green themes and criticising big business. He has accused supermarkets of using their financial muscle to drive small shops out of business.
Mr Pears is among the property tycoons and hedge fund traders who put up almost £500,000 for his leadership campaign
. The tycoon has been heavily criticised by small shopkeepers in north London, where his firm owns rows of premises in Fortess Road, Kentish Town.

It isn't looking pretty is it! You can see a further list of donors, it's packed full of property tycoons and money men from the City.

You may well be tired of NuLabour, but you shouldn't fool yourselves into thinking the alternatives are any better, in effect we have the worst of both worlds. Basically, don't expect politicans of either hue to help you, it's pretty clear where their priorities really lie, and that doesn't include giving one jot about providing for luxuries such as housing.

Edited by BuyingBear

safe-guarding the value of peoples homes

Yeh when I heard this I realised I dont have a voice in mainstream politics anymore. I admire the party ethos of self reliance rather than nu-lab reliance on the state, but if their housing minister sees it as his duty to prop up unrealistic house prices, and keep young working people out of a good standard of living - then I wont be voting conservative.

Guess where my protest vote will be going?

Maybe brainclamp was right all along ...

Yes, that remark really ****** me off - these Tories are the ones who enabled BTL - and NuLab have gone along with it. Who can I vote for? Plaid Cymru or the LibDems. With Plaid Cymru having become NuHippy and probs with the Welsh Lib Dems..........

Our New Tory Boy has been mighty busy submitting early day motions in the Commons. We have the anti-HIPS campaign :-

Gove, Michael
That this House expresses concern over the introduction of home information packs from 2007; notes that industry experts have advised that home information packs will add up to £1,000 to the cost of buying an average home and duplicate the ongoing need for a valuation or structural survey; believes that they will discourage potential sellers from putting their homes on the market; notes that smaller solicitors and estate agents may be adversely affected; observes that the Government will benefit from a potential £110 million VAT windfall from the packs and that the Home Condition Register could be used to conduct a council tax revaluation by stealth; questions the lack of a proper dry run and whether sufficient home inspectors will be properly trained by 2007; and calls on the Chancellor of the Exchequer to push for their implementation to be delayed or cancelled in order to protect the stability of the housing market.

Also, he has been submitting pro-nimby motions on behalf of the CPRE :-

(No. 2)25.04.2006
Gove, Michael
That this House expresses concern that the Government's proposed changes to planning policy for housing (draft PPS3) would, if implemented unchanged, encourage unsustainable patterns of development; believes this would undermine the regeneration of urban brownfield sites before building on green fields, yet do little to address the acute problem of affordable housing need; and calls on the Government to amend its proposed revised policy to retain a strong emphasis on urban renewal, while protecting green spaces and to focus on tackling the inaccessibility of affordable, eco-friendly housing for first-time buyers and those on low or modest incomes.

I love that Orwellian contradiction at the end, he basically means more tiny rabbit hutches built in awful locations for £150k a piece.

With an opposition like this who needs elections?

You can contact the chap here :-

email :- govem@parliament.uk

Edited by BuyingBear

CALM DOWN!! They HAVE TO SAY THIS because it is the OPPOSITE OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS WITH THIS PRESIDING GOVERNMENT!!

It's TACTICS - look, there's 3 years left and they're saying the right thing at the right time.

Voters will think, when the shot hits the fan:

"The conservatives would have PROTECTED the value of our homes and NOW LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED UNDER LABOUR!"

It's TACTICAL, TACTICAL, TACTICAL!!

I know it's annoying but DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD THING FOR THEM TO TELL THE TRUTH?? NO!!#

By saying "Hips is bad" they can say "Well, Labour brought them in and we tried to stop them - with us there would have been no housing crash!"

Get behind them - have you not seen Braveheart?

If people on here think the Tories are the answer to their HPC prayers, you are seriously mistaken.

If any party is going to protect the interests of the property-owning class, it's the Tories, as openly stated by Michael Gove on Question Time.

"The conservatives would have PROTECTED the value of our homes and NOW LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED UNDER LABOUR!"

It's TACTICAL, TACTICAL, TACTICAL!!

I know it's annoying but DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD THING FOR THEM TO TELL THE TRUTH?? NO!!#

In that case they should say nothing at all. High-lighting their lying and deceitful manner is just another reason not to vote for them.

The tories will never get into power, but at least they could provide a decent opposition.

There's only one basic principle you need to remember in politics and that is; there's only one pot, that pot has already been paid for, and all politicians will piss in it.

Democracy...."for the people by the people" .....my @rse

In that case they should say nothing at all. High-lighting their lying and deceitful manner is just another reason not to vote for them.

The tories will never get into power, but at least they could provide a decent opposition.

"In that case they should have said nothing" Eh? Saying nothing would not have been tactical would it? It would have just been saying nothing.

The Conservatives will not be the answer to our HPC prayers you dolts - NU LABOUR are. Ssheesh...

"In that case they should have said nothing" Eh? Saying nothing would not have been tactical would it? It would have just been saying nothing.

The Conservatives will not be the answer to our HPC prayers you dolts - NU LABOUR are. Ssheesh...

So what are the Tories actually for?

I'd rather their spokesman say nothing than lie, as you suggest they were doing, however I think he was being quite honest!

All three main parties are in bed togeather so all you get to vote on is who will be the tema leader in a game where they are out to get more tax=more pay and better pension for our MP's and stuff the working man, we can always import more of them for now.

we need change, big change and it may not come via the rigged voting system we now have

Guest Alright Jack

HIPPS is yet another way to create yet more miracle revenue and yet more pointless miracle jobs.

I mean, what possible use will HIPPS serve? What major important circumstances or debate was HIPPS the culmination of? It just happened for no apparent reason. This government is a ****. And Prescott is a specially FAT one.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1789368,00.html' rel="external nofollow">
One of Conservative leader David Cameron's new breed of business backers is a millionaire landlord who has been accused of using ruthless tactics against tenants.
Trevor Pears, 42, whose family own 15,000 properties, is alleged to be driving out small shops in favour of supermarkets and forcing out tenants through legal loopholes.
Mr Cameron is trying to boost his party by adopting green themes and criticising big business. He has accused supermarkets of using their financial muscle to drive small shops out of business.
Mr Pears is among the property tycoons and hedge fund traders who put up almost £500,000 for his leadership campaign. The property tycoon has been heavily criticised by small shopkeepers in north London where his firm owns rows of premises in Fortess Road. Since they installed a branch of Sainsbury's last year, small neighbourhood shops have closed amid accusations the Pears company is raising their rents.
Patty Collister, whose furniture chain, An Angel At My Table, put its shutters up after a 24% rise to £28,000, said: "The landlords showed a total lack of social responsibility. In other towns, landlords aren't so greedy."
Tony Douglas-Gooden, whose Natural Health Centre is still trading, had his rent increased 55% to £14,000. "The rents are just outrageous. The landlords kill the community here. Because Sainsbury's can pay the premiums, they think all the other shops can," he said.
The Green party campaigned against the firm's tactics in last month's local elections.
Mr Pears said all the allegations were misleading. "This sort of politically motivated smearing may be why non-party aligned individuals like myself find David Cameron's approach so refreshing".
He added, "Since the Sainsbury's opening, there has only been one unit vacated and indeed one unit re-let to a charity shop" All the firm was doing, he said, was "charging market rent that some shopkeepers do not welcome".
The Pears empire is estimated to be worth over £1bn. In one year, they paid themselves a £42m dividend. But there have been repeated complaints about their methods.
In 2000, they used what a court called a "repugnant" device, to try and force out housing benefit tenants along the Brighton seafront who were "desperate to obtain accommodation". The company used the terms of obscure agreements to raise rents to an impossible £25,000 a year. It then sought evictions for arrears. The appeal court subsequently said this was "a very serious matter", which could have bankrupted tenants.
The houses had been purchased from investors exploiting a loophole under the Conservative government's business expansion scheme. Investors got tax relief to meet a shortage of rented flats.
But the flats could be sold off at a profit if the new owners could evict the tenants. The court found of the original developers, "There was financial advantage to a landlord who created an assured tenancy ... They hoped to obtain that financial advantage while at the same time to ensure they could terminate a lease ... thus depriving the tenant of the long-term security".
Mr Pears says the original agreements were inherited from the developers.
A Pears company bought housing blocks, originally an elderly seafarers' charity, the same year from Greenwich hospital.
Local Labour MP Nick Raynsford says the firm exploited their position once the property passed out of control of the crown.
Rents were raised from £50 a week to £190 and many were forced out. Mr Raynsford said, "The Pears Group acted in a reprehensible way in their dealings with the elderly residents."
Mr Pears said: "We did in fact attempt to accommodate individuals and staged the rental increases over time ... We paid the market price in the natural expectation of being able to charge the market rent."
There were similar complaints in 1996 in Hackney. Pensioners on housing benefit said they faced rent increases of up to 300 per cent.
As flats fell vacant, they were refurbished and bathrooms installed. "We chose to implement an independently set market rent which some tenants did not like," Mr Pears said.
And in 1998 there were more protests in Hampstead, when a Pears firm bought a 1930s mansion block, and bid to raise rents. "We charge independently set market rents and some tenants complain," Mr Pears told us.
"On two occasions, our managing agent mistakenly demanded rent arrears that were not due, for which they apologised."
Last year, after investigating the Pears network of companies, the Office of Fair Trading obtained undertakings that they would stop using "potentially unfair" contracts under which tenants were charged penalties; forfeited deposits if they left early; had to make repairs which were the landlord's responsibility; had to pay for damage even if they did not cause it; and were subject to unreasonable restrictions.
The Pears Group says it gave informal undertakings and cooperated fully with the OFT.

Nice one Dave!

Edited by BuyingBear

All three main parties are in bed togeather so all you get to vote on is who will be the tema leader in a game where they are out to get more tax=more pay and better pension for our MP's and stuff the working man, we can always import more of them for now.

Yes, and here we go again. How are they in bed together? Do Blair, Cameron and Campbell all meet up at the same masonic lodge of an evening, give each other dodgy handshakes, and laugh maniacally at how they've got the country sewn up between them? Where's the evidence?

What's a tema leader?

All politicians are scum though. I'll go along with that.

we need change, big change and it may not come via the rigged voting system we now have

This is another one of your oft repeated calls for revolution. I'm all for it. Would you mind awfully going first though?

If people on here think the Tories are the answer to their HPC prayers, you are seriously mistaken.

If any party is going to protect the interests of the property-owning class, it's the Tories, as openly stated by Michael Gove on Question Time.

just like they did in the 90's :blink:

just like they did in the 90's :blink:

Something Mr Gove admitted was a mistake, all due to the evil centralising European ERM debacle.

The Tories seem to think that if you can just polish the turd and hang around long enough they will automatically get back in, I think they're mistaken.

If you're going to cast an HPC vote, you should vote Lib Dems - below is what Vince Cable wrote a few months ago:

"What is to be done? On the regulatory front there should be a tightening up on non-income verified mortgages"

"it is recklessly irresponsible of some banks to be lending at six times peoples' incomes in an environment where there are significant downside risks to the economy and bad debts are growing."

"There are millions, mainly older people, sitting on substantial property and pension fund assets while younger people are straining to service debt and maintain positive equity.

A continued growth in unemployment and a slowdown in income growth could imperil the latter without touching the former. "

"It is an irony that Gordon Brown's reputation for economic soundness rests not on prudence and thrift but on consumer self-indulgence and debt. That reputation may not survive much longer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../07/ixcoms.html

Yes, and here we go again. How are they in bed together? Do Blair, Cameron and Campbell all meet up at the same masonic lodge of an evening, give each other dodgy handshakes, and laugh maniacally at how they've got the country sewn up between them? Where's the evidence?

What's a tema leader?

All politicians are scum though. I'll go along with that.

This is another one of your oft repeated calls for revolution. I'm all for it. Would you mind awfully going first though?

Revolution? Never a good idea. Just stick to the way we do things here - stay calm and vote for change. Things may be bad here but they're not THAT bad. Revolution!! I respectfully suggest you read about some instances in history that have led to revolution and you'll see that we're living in a utopia in comparison. Yes I said 'in comparison' so don't quote it in isolation.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant - it's just that I think we should stay calm, look at the bigger picture and use our collective votes. Revolution will not benefit you or I - it WILL benefit criminals (and I'll pre-empt replies by saying 'much more so than now')

And one more thing - don't fall for Icke style propaganda by believing that Freemasons are bad people. They're not.

And one more thing - don't fall for Icke style propaganda by believing that Freemasons are bad people. They're not.

I was taking the piss out of Justice and his incontinent babbling. No particular axe to grind about Freemasons. I only know one, a friend of my dad's, and he seems ok. He's drunk a lot of the time though...

Edited by LTD

Time for a "denial of service" attack on Mr Cove's mail server I think!

Dear Mr Gove,

I’ve been quite impressed with Conservative musings recently [flattery mode on], but I’m afraid my confidence took a step backwards when I watched you on Question Time recently.

“A Conservative government is there to safeguard the value of peoples homes” – speaking as an outright home-owner, I can say quite definitely this is NOT what a government is for. The current housing market is hugely over-inflated as acknowledged by everyone from Mervyn King downwards. It is a massive hidden transfer of wealth from poor to rich and has left a whole generation of young buyers priced out as proven by the lowest percentage of first-time buyers for decades. And who has taken their place? Foreign “investors” and buy-to-let amateurs, the latter propped up by extremely dodgy lending practices (self cert mortgages, interest-only mortgages with no repayment vehicle, etc). To say that the “debt” is “backed by housing” is ludicrous in the extreme – the housing loans ARE the debt. Money tied up in housing for 25 years is also money not being invested in business via the stockmarket and is therefore BAD for the country. Housing Debt is also NOT “wealth” as claimed by Gordon Brown – you can’t spend it because a/ you have to live somewhere, and b/ you’ll have to hand it all on to your children so THEY can afford to buy someone else’s over-inflated house!! Oh, I forgot, you CAN spend it – by mortgage equity withdrawal which most people seem to view as “free money”. It isn’t, it’s a mortgage against their future earnings. The whole country is currently suffering from The Emperor’s New Clothes syndrome and nobody will risk showing the debt for what it is – a catastrophe waiting to happen. If you’re not careful you will be elected just as Gordon’s “miracle economy” comes crashing down.

“keeping inflation low” – I agree. However, only if it is not done the way Nu Labour are doing it, ie. fiddling the figures. Nobody I know believes the 2% figure any longer. It may be the case for cheap Chinese DVD players which are bought once, but it isn’t for housing costs, fuel costs, council tax, insurance etc which make up the bulk of our expenditure. REAL inflation is also measured by money supply figures which have rocketed recently to fuel the insane personal lending frenzy (£1.1trillion and counting) which is driving this country to bankruptcy. This lending frenzy is of course inextricably linked to the pyramid-selling housing situation.

I hope you will change your policy to allow the housing market to gradually return to sensible levels so normal people (“sorry, “decent hard working families” as politicians would have it!) can ENJOY LIFE without worrying about overwhelming debts.

Yours not as faithfully as before, Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Edited by RIP