House Price Crash Forum

Another Btl Bites The Dust

HOLA441
HOLA442

"I tried to get them some emergency housing with the city council but was told it cannot help as they are not a family - that is disgusting."

There is a touch of irony there with the estate agent trying to find them emergency housing only to be told that there is effectively not enough to go around.

HOLA443
HOLA444

That was unfair on tenants by the Landlord.

That was real arrogance on the part of the mortgage company.

See how easy to take advantage of the Immigrants

What has this got to do with them being immigrants? The situation would be exactly the same if the tenants had been born in the UK and lived here all their lives. Council housing is now allocated on the basis of need pure and simple which means single people will never get housed, unless they have multiple disabilities.

HOLA445

I thought Council Housing was now allocated on the basis of you political persuasion.

Dont see many Tories getting council houses these days, maybe this is something that should be looked into as part of the Social Inclusion drive?.

Surely these people can do what everyone else does, and find somewhere else to live?.

Or is this a special case ?.

HOLA446

That was unfair on tenants by the Landlord.

That was real arrogance on the part of the mortgage company.

See how easy to take advantage of the Immigrants

This could apply equally to natives. My bet though is that then it would not have come to the attention of a newspaper. I worked as a migrant worker in the Netherlands in the early 1990s and although we were effectively made homeless numerous times there was no way in the world we would have got social housing and we got no help whatsoever. The attitude was simply 'tough it out or go home'. It's quite likely that migrant workers will have a home to go to in their native country so it's not really the end of the world for them. This contrasts with many native born people who perhaps have no other home. Even foreigners that I know who have come to the UK to live are puzzled at the British attitude of not looking after their own people first.

As another poster has pointed out single people will struggle to ever get housed now. I know a few single people on the dole or low wages who stay at their parents or sleep on their friends floors. It seems to me that there is very little social housing now.

HOLA447

This looks like an unlawful eviction. Regardless of the landlord's arrears, the mortgage company is required to serve notice on the tenants, then seek a court order if they do not leave.

The stuff about the buildings insurance not covering tenants is completely irrelevant.

Unlawful eviction is a criminal offence and I hope the EA and mortgage company here are prosecuted.

HOLA448

A month or so ago we had a discussion on whether tenants could be evicted if the landlord didn't pay their mortgage. It was claimed that they couldn't be thrown out. When I pointed out that shelter advised that tenants could be thrown out if the landlord did not have a BTL mortgage, people claimed that this would be extremely unlikely.

We now see what the true situation is. I bet that a lot of tenants would be at risk of this happening to them, and any rate rises will make events like this more likely.

Billy Shears

This looks like an unlawful eviction. Regardless of the landlord's arrears, the mortgage company is required to serve notice on the tenants, then seek a court order if they do not leave.

The stuff about the buildings insurance not covering tenants is completely irrelevant.

Unlawful eviction is a criminal offence and I hope the EA and mortgage company here are prosecuted.

See the advice pages on shelter. Not if the landlord did not have the correct mortgage.

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/ask.../tenanttroubles

In most cases you will have to leave your home if the court decides the property should be repossessed. The possession order made in court is against the property and includes anyone living in it. Usually the mortgage lender will not have to go to court to get a separate order to evict you. This will mean that you might be evicted very quickly. As soon as you receive notice that there will be a possession hearing you'll need to start to look for somewhere else to live. In some cases you may be entitled to help from the council.

If the lender gets a possession order and you need some extra time to find somewhere else to live, you could offer to pay the mortgage lender for the use and occupancy of the property. This isn't the same as rent. The payment of rent might create a new tenancy and although you can ask to do this, the lender is under no obligation to accept an arrangement like this.

You may want to get further help with your situation. You can find details of local advice centres in the Shelter advice services directory.

Question answered by shelter

Billy Shears

Edited by BillyShears

HOLA449